Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby bunnies

Default Baby bunnies

Yesterday we got 6 baby bunnies.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Hopefully they grow up nice and fat. I doubt it though. The buck is a full size rex, and the doe is a smaller rabbit (not rex). I got her for free from a neighbor and decided to see how she does as a mom. Now that I have rexes, I am thinking I want New Zealands for their bigger size.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Are you going to raise them for meat or to sell or both.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

I say meat, my wife says sell. We will see who wins in a few months.

Get a couple more adults and you both win. My ex raised them for selling as 4h projects' she got over run in no time and we stocked the freezer with the left over.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Plus you get a load of bunny pelts when you use em for meat.

Well, my dog eats about a third of a rabbit a day. So, I need around 120 rabbits a year for that.

Your gonna need a big freezer too.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit

I got curious as to how many kits a rabbit can have in a year, I was flabbergasted by what I found out. According to the info in he link in one season they can have 800 children grandchildren and great grand children. That's a heck of a load of rabbits.

Might be time to buy another dog.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I would just like to point out that this is a PG-13 forum and those critters are naked. Could you at least get them a bath towel? Thank you.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I considered meat rabbit production before. The largest producer in the SE is in SC. They sell worldwide and get a nice pricetag for a whole rabbit dressed. It is supposed to be quite healthy to consume as well.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit

I got curious as to how many kits a rabbit can have in a year, I was flabbergasted by what I found out. According to the info in he link in one season they can have 800 children grandchildren and great grand children. That's a heck of a load of rabbits.
    You should check out rats!

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    You should check out rats!
    Its worse than rabbit I'm sure. I hate rats.

Nice litter FM,I had about 50 born last night,californians,new zealand whites and lops,one cali had hers on the wire,and it was about 48 degrees and lost them,she had 11.she gets one more chance at breeding and if she does the same thing,she goes in the freezer.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Rabbit meat is supposedly the least fat out there, from what I have read. But all those sources are rabbit eating sites, so they are biased. They say it is less fat than chicken.

50 nell! I knew you had rabbits, but I didn't know you had that many. How many mothers is that? The more I think about it, the more I want to move to New Zealands. I like the rex fur, but they aren't that big, and they take forever to grow.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I would just like to point out that this is a PG-13 forum and those critters are naked. Could you at least get them a bath towel? Thank you.

So, I am guessing that you don't want me to do a tutorial on how to sex them? It is harder than you might think, especially before they are 6 months old. We were rabbit sitting for a friend the other week, and I informed them that their girl was a boy. The breeder got it wrong. But, in the breeders defense, it was a mini breed and wasn't very mature when the breeder probably looked. It was older and close to 6 months when I looked.

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    Rabbit meat is supposedly the least fat out there, from what I have read. But all those sources are rabbit eating sites, so they are biased. They say it is less fat than chicken.

50 nell! I knew you had rabbits, but I didn't know you had that many. How many mothers is that? The more I think about it, the more I want to move to New Zealands. I like the rex fur, but they aren't that big, and they take forever to grow.

That was 5 does kindling FM. And the rex's are not really a meat breed,even the standard (bigger) rex is considered a pet,they do have SOME meat to them,just not the amount of meat,nor do they grow as fast as the meat breeds.I have converted my barn into all rabbits,and the house is full,right now I have lop,mini rex,netherland dwarf,dutch,lion head,english spot,californian,and new zealand babies!
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

I raise the furballs and mix new zealands and california giants, good eatin and fun pets both. My best breeders are pets...spoiled rotten, their kits are meals.

D.O.M.

California giants? Are they similar in size to Flemish Giants? How big is the mix you get with new zealands and california giants?

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    That was 5 does kindling FM. And the rex's are not really a meat breed,even the standard (bigger) rex is considered a pet,they do have SOME meat to them,just not the amount of meat,nor do they grow as fast as the meat breeds.I have converted my barn into all rabbits,and the house is full,right now I have lop,mini rex,netherland dwarf,dutch,lion head,english spot,californian,and new zealand babies!
    You are averaging 10 per liter! Wow! What is your biggest liter, and by what type. You must have a liter that is less than 10.