Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baby bunnies

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    You are averaging 10 per liter! Wow! What is your biggest liter, and by what type. You must have a liter that is less than 10.
    17 is the largest litter I have had,SO FAR,LOL but I don't let them try to raise that many on their own,I keep lop mommas because they are soo easy to take on anothers babies,the doe that had that many was a cross between a californian and a flemish giant.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Sorry FinallyMe I had been offline for a while and just saw your question on the rabbits.
    My californian buck is about 2 1/2 foot long and the last litter of kits he bred to my new zealand were easily 1/3 larger than her previous litter of pure new zelands. I don't let em grow to full size usually since I breed them specifically to eat.

D.O.M.

Thanks DOM.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I cross my New Zealand white buck to a Californias and other NZ whites. The cross of New Zealand and California breeds produce young that grow faster and tend to be much meatier in the haunches. I wean mine around 6 weeks and butcher between 8 and 10 weeks old.
    Last edited by Dink; 04-19-2012 at 09:18 PM.
    THANK YOU TO ALL THE MEN & WOMEN OF THE ARMED FORCES!!!!

I kept two does from the last litter to breed with my califonian buck. The large litters are hard on the does so I try not to breed them out more than five times a year. My last litter lost two kits the first week competeing for milk (She had 9), and the mom is going to get a break for a while to strengthen her. I rebread her after her previous litter was 5 weeks old. I have another doe I was going to take down but she is going to sub one last time.
    D.O.M.

For a breeding scheldule...I breed for my first litter to be dropped in mid March. I then breed back when the young are 4 weeks old, wean them at 6 weeks old, butcher at 8 weeks old and this gives her 2 weeks without young sucking. I repeat this all year long, but breed for the last litter to drop the first of November. This way, my does are done from about Christmas until mid February. Cuts out a litter a year, but it gives them all a chance to rest, and I don't have to worry about loosing little ones in the middle of winter. So...generally I will get 4 litters, possibly 5 if I breed for a late batch...which I prefer to avoid. I breed for putting meat in my freezer and for family & friends...I don't sell any, and its just a hobby thing.
    THANK YOU TO ALL THE MEN & WOMEN OF THE ARMED FORCES!!!!