Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your Opinion of Ray Mears

Ray Mears makes some excellent vids and presents things in a "living" sense vs. a "survival" sense, which I appreciate very much. He appears to search for the ways of our ancestors before reverting to modern methods. The modern stuff he uses only accents the native ways which he seems to go to great lengths to discover, whether those discoveries are his own, I'm unsure.

Regardless, I like his unhurried, relaxed approach of respecting and working with nature rather than trying to survive against it. I don't consider him a survivalist, but feel that if more survivalists took his approach they would be able to survive much better if the situation presented itself.

One vid that comes to mind is a knife sharpening vid, he used an apparently expensive multipart stone set to sharpen and then went over to the windshield of his auto to hone the blade on the edge of the passenger or driver's side windshield. Even in a storebought "fresh out of the box" approach he still thinks and acts outside the box.

See? and I didn't even mention Mykal Hawke, lol.
    Last edited by rwc1969; 04-10-2011 at 12:00 PM.

Blog Entries

His shows are informative and good learning tools. For example, when I saw the cooking rig he did with two Y sticks, a cross stick between them and the hook stick with notches for regulating the hight of the cooking vessel I tried it out the next day, liked it and made a "permanent" version of the notched stick, since I determined that making it usually takes the most time/effort. I carry it in my kit and make the three other sticks when camping.
    Ray does have a bit hippy attitude and is more a bushcrafter than a survival oriented guy. Sometimes I feel he has a bit unnatural view of the wild, a bit over protective or something. He sort of loves it like it's a child rather than respects it like one would a good friend or companion... If you know what I mean.
    Survival is not about surviving AGAINST the nature. It's about surviving WITH the nature.

You can't go in to nature, nature is not a place or an object. Nature just is. You are living it.

Quote Originally Posted by OhioGrizzLapp View Post
    It is NOT a matter of off topic, I made a request in the first post to NOT place BG in MY thread. Simple request, simple asking for respect. Payne came into the whole site under dubious circumstances and way too new to be disrespecting a simple member request. It was done by Payne to derail the thread.

I really meant the request, it was specific and at least I asked. If a member, any member cannot follow a simple meant request, I guess I will just head on over to another site for a time being until some of the trolls, spammers and malcontents get tired.

Asta La Vista all...I really like this site, but I will not be fugged with in such a manner, especially by a so called "Super Moderator."

I was going to try and use this thread to promote the WSF site.....
    Elitism ftw.
    Also, I've asked the mods many times to clean my topic, yet people kept posting stupid **** about Rick's thong or something... I then came to realize this forum didn't punish off-topic posts as much as the other forum I came from so I just followed the wave.
    Now, yes, sorry, you did clearly mention you didn't want any BG in here. But god, this was just too easy: I couldn't avoid to do it. :P

Anyone watch when Mears roasted the hog?

I'm not certain I understand what all the hubbub is about. It's a thread on the internet not the theft of your family jewels. Hardly something to get you hospital gown in a twist over.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I like Ray. I watch as much as I can on youtube.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I like Mears. He knows his stuff about woodscraft, bushcraft, out-in-the-booniescraft, etc. I believe his methods would well serve someone in a "survival" situation. I also like his professional presentation. It makes for easy viewing.

No one person has all the answers for "out there," but Mears has a lot of 'em.

S.M.
    Last edited by Seniorman; 04-11-2011 at 01:42 AM. Reason: Correct typo.

OP all I can say is WOW!
    Really?

Quote Originally Posted by roar-k View Post
    Anyone watch when Mears roasted the hog?
    No never...

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Banned

Good Video !! It just didn't look like enough fire,,,,,, obviously it was (now I am hungry,,,,, and I have leftover babyback ribs in the fridge ,,, it a GOOD day )

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've read some of his books, haven't seen the videos, but I believe he has a lot to offer. I hear good things about his work.
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    No never...

Great, now I that's going to be on my mind all through the work day. Love the brush he makes! haha.

I have a LOT of time for Ray Mears, his cool calm approach and survival knowledge and experience is exceptional.

He does what he does pure and simply because he loves it, there are no points to prove no hero "i'm a man" rubbish he just gets on with it and does it.

There are still some things i've seen him "advise" that go against the grain, but it has to be hard making shows like that and thinking up new ideas rather than rehashing the same thing over and over again.

What i enjoy the most though is his ability to go with the flow of the area he is surviving in, rather than seemingly trying to fight against it.
    Doesn't make as good TV for the kids today, but it's a damn site more useful.