Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Opinion of Ray Mears

Banned

Default Your Opinion of Ray Mears

While I have been in the hospital room, I have been watching various dvd's on survival and bushcraft. My daughter brought me some from the library and they were of a guy named Ray Mears. So far, the vids have been informative and he being from the UK, brings a different slant on some things. I have actually learned a few tricks and tips from the vids. My opinion is out yet so far on this guy.

http://www.raymears.com/

What is your opinion of his skills, presentation, accuracy and such.. do you feel he is good, FUBAR or ?????????

NOTE: I do NOT want to hear of Bear Grylis for any reason in this thread and will ask the mods to remove any mention of him if it is presented.

He seems quite knowledgable and he is interesting I think he is quite good at what he does
    sh4d0wm4573ri7

I watched a show with him building a birch bark canoe on PBS. He didn't seem overly confident in what he was teaching or showing. I have downloaded a few of his videos but have not had a chance to watch them yet. I think from I have seen, he is pretty legit in his skills and presentation.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton, Jr.

VISIT MY EBAY STORE

I read a little of his Walkabout book ( I think that was the name ). I thought it was a good read didn't get to finish it tho seems the book grew legs and walked away.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Almost all of his shows are on youtube, shown in parts. I've only watched a few of them but from what I seen he's a pretty legit guy.

I've really enjoyed his vids. He seems to bring a lot to the table.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I like his take on things and enjoy watching him. I have a few of the shows, but I would like to have the rest.

Blog Entries

Cool Well now...

Many members think he's really good. Not having seen him I can't comment. However, i give you my word as a Mod that if anybody posts anything about BG I'll delete it!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Bear Grylls.

Quote Originally Posted by payne View Post
    Bear Grylls.
    I got your back on that one payne!
    Mears is kinda a primitive bushcrafter/hippie type.....not my idea "survivalist,but he does make some good points through others horror.
    He did have a show,but it didn't last long....not sure why.
    The way i look at it is if anyone comes away with some form of knowledge from the "TV survivalist" or brings them to preparing then all the better.As we like to say "We much rather have our kids look up to one of them then Kobie Byrant or video games"!
    I like escalators, because an escalator can never break; it can only become stairs. You would never see an "escalator temporarily out of order" sign, just "Escalator temporarily stairs... sorry for the convenience. We apologize for the fact that you can still get up there."

Mitch Hedberg

Banned

So far, I feel Ray Mears is the real deal. I just watched him create a few different shelters, not pre-gatherd stuff, he actually went into the bush and gathered the right stuff. He made a reverse apex lean to, a rock backed mini cave with a really nice awning cover made of black willow and a nice bark covered round dome.

So far, I like him, even if he does use various Mora's as his preferred knives, he even had a Mora spoke shave and a spoon cutter curved knife be made a set of different sized spoons while sitting at the camp fire.

The only thing so far I find questionable is his use of a home made water filter with Spagum Moss, wood fire charcol and sand as a filter to drink water that has NOT been purified.

Sarge or another mod, please remove Paynes mention of BG, always has to be one person to muck up a thread...... if I was able to give neg rep, I would, it was an honest and serious request not to mention the guy....

Same with Melissa's post please, I really mean it.....
    Last edited by OhioGrizzLapp; 04-10-2011 at 02:08 AM.

Quote:Sarge or another mod, please remove Paynes mention of BG, always has to be one person to muck up a thread...... if I was able to give neg rep, I would, it was an honest and serious request not to mention the guy....

I might just have to post pix of Mr Bear as my avatar and signature.lol
    I like escalators, because an escalator can never break; it can only become stairs. You would never see an "escalator temporarily out of order" sign, just "Escalator temporarily stairs... sorry for the convenience. We apologize for the fact that you can still get up there."

Mitch Hedberg

Quote Originally Posted by OhioGrizzLapp View Post
    So far, I feel Ray Mears is the real deal. I just watched him create a few different shelters, not pre-gatherd stuff, he actually went into the bush and gathered the right stuff. He made a reverse apex lean to, a rock backed mini cave with a really nice awning cover made of black willow and a nice bark covered round dome.

So far, I like him, even if he does use various Mora's as his preferred knives, he even had a Mora spoke shave and a spoon cutter curved knife be made a set of different sized spoons while sitting at the camp fire.

The only thing so far I find questionable is his use of a home made water filter with Spagum Moss, wood fire charcol and sand as a filter to drink water that has NOT been purified.

Sarge or another mod, please remove Paynes mention of BG, always has to be one person to muck up a thread...... if I was able to give neg rep, I would, it was an honest and serious request not to mention the guy....

Same with Melissa's post please, I really mean it.....
    It wasn't meant to discredit Ray Mears. It was just a little troll. :P
    I believe I can do this little one after everything people has done to my poor West Canadian Survival thread! XD

Blog Entries

The thing I like about Ray Mears is he doesn't pretend to be what he's not. He is a genuine guy with a deep love and respect of the outdoors which is comes accross in the programmes he makes. I like his unhurried, comfortable style of presenting. A chap I used to work with, wrote to Ray via his publisher asking if he would send some bits and bobs as prizes for their Scout camp. Not only did he do this, but he went along(by himself) and spent an afternoon with the kids. They were made up! So was Jamie. I never was too sure who got the most out of the day, the scouts, or Jamie!
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

OGL - I believe Sarge was kidding (he is fond of BG). If we were to delete posts that went off topic then --- well --- there would be a whole lot fewer posts on the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned

It is NOT a matter of off topic, I made a request in the first post to NOT place BG in MY thread. Simple request, simple asking for respect. Payne came into the whole site under dubious circumstances and way too new to be disrespecting a simple member request. It was done by Payne to derail the thread.

I really meant the request, it was specific and at least I asked. If a member, any member cannot follow a simple meant request, I guess I will just head on over to another site for a time being until some of the trolls, spammers and malcontents get tired.

Asta La Vista all...I really like this site, but I will not be fugged with in such a manner, especially by a so called "Super Moderator."

I was going to try and use this thread to promote the WSF site.....

Sorry you feel that way. Nobody here owns the threads or posts. The forum does. Again - sorry you feel that way.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

OGl, sorry you feel that way I'm personally going to miss your posts. But come on now you honestly thought that no one was going to be a wise a$$ and post something about BG, it was done to get a reaction and I'm sorry to see it is such a serious if not a childish "I'm taking my toys and leaving" reaction. I mean no disrespect in what I'm saying I just didn't expect a reaction like this from you.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

NOTE: I do NOT want to hear of Bear Grylis for any reason in this thread and will ask the mods to remove any mention of him if it is presented.
    Well...you mentioned him first.

I like Mears and enjoy watching what there is of him on YouTube. I agree with much of what the others said, he clearly enjoys being out in the woods. He seems willing to try what he doesnt know while teaching what he does know.

Sorry to see you run off over a silly post...It would be my guess that you would have a hard time finding to many threads (good or bad) that stayed on topic start to finish. The mods do a pretty good job on this site IMO, if they start policing it to the point where any off topic post gets you deleted you would be all alone on here. I hope you reconsider your choice and stay.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Blog Entries

Cool Oh good grief!

It is NOT a matter of off topic, I made a request in the first post to NOT place BG in MY thread. Simple request, simple asking for respect. Payne came into the whole site under dubious circumstances and way too new to be disrespecting a simple member request. It was done by Payne to derail the thread.

I really meant the request, it was specific and at least I asked. If a member, any member cannot follow a simple meant request, I guess I will just head on over to another site for a time being until some of the trolls, spammers and malcontents get tired.

Asta La Vista all...I really like this site, but I will not be fugged with in such a manner, especially by a so called "Super Moderator."

I was going to try and use this thread to promote the WSF site.....
    Oh for crying out loud! Payne is just an immature kid, but what are you? What kind of meds do they have you on, anyway? As soon as you posted that you should have known you were asking for trouble. If you're gonna leave all's I can say is don't let the door hit ya where the Good Lord split ya!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin