Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bowls

Default Bowls

I've been making bowls like crazy here lately. It's very rewarding and brings in some money as well. My neighbor and I are making bowls for the Eagle River Knife Company and decorative bowls that we sell on our own. The only problem is waiting for them to dry. We had to make a homemade kiln to speed up the process. Waiting several months per bowl just wasn't cutting it. Now we can dry a bowl in 2 days. The process starts by selecting the wood. Most of the bowls I turn are birch that I get for free.

Here's what the slab looks like before turning.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Then the roughing begins. The wood is very easy to turn when wet, but to avoid warping and cracking I have to leave at least 10% of material on the bowl. This only takes about 30 to 45 minutes.

Roughed bowl ready for drying.

After 2 days in the kiln the bowl is ready to be final turned and sanded. This can take over an hour, depending on how fancy the bowl will be.

Here's a typical bowl for Eagle River Knife Company.
    Alaska to Florida, for how long, who knows...

You turning those on a lathe?

Yup a Craftsman 15" Bench Top Lathe.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Looking Good. What do you seal them with if they are to be used for food........?

Very impressive work Doug. Looks excellent.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

That's a nice job. Very cool.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Doug - not having done any wood turning on a lathe - do you have to get the starting piece cut a little "rounder" before you start turning it? Seems like the oblong shape would be a little dangerours to start turning.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned

Very Cool Doug !

Not really meaning to answer for Doug, but I know most wooden kitchen utensils are sealed with Olive oil. It has some antibacterial qualities/properties, which makes it safer for eating/cooking.

Great work Doug!
    Because a survival situation carries an aura of timelessness, a survivor cannot allow himself to be overcome by it's duration or quality. A survivor accepts the situation as it is and improves it from that standpoint. Prologue from Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen

Very cool, do you have a pic's of some that are completed?
    Or is that it pictured?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    Looking Good. What do you seal them with if they are to be used for food........?
    I use peanut oil, but olive oil would work just fine too.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Doug - not having done any wood turning on a lathe - do you have to get the starting piece cut a little "rounder" before you start turning it? Seems like the oblong shape would be a little dangerours to start turning.
    Most of the time we do knock the corners off, expecially on thicker pieces. This one was fairly shallow and I was lazy. Having the tailstock on the piece takes most of the danger out of it though.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Very cool, do you have a pic's of some that are completed?
    Or is that it pictured?
    Here are a few decorative bowls and the last one on the right is a standard wood bowl.

Doug - Both peanut oil and olive oil can go rancid. They won't kill you but they smell and taste awful. You can use food grade mineral oil or beeswax. You could use walnut oil or almond oil but some folks have an allergy to nuts. Coconut oil could also be used. Warm the oil then apply it in the direction of the wood grain. Allow it to dry for 5 or 6 hours then reapply. Depending on the wood you will need four or five coats of oil. You'll also want your customer to know what you've used because they will need to re-oil the bowls periodically.

You've done some beautiful work, by the way.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Thanks for the pic's, mighty fine work there, really like the one with the real dark grain on light wood.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Doug - Both peanut oil and olive oil can go rancid. They won't kill you but they smell and taste awful. You can use food grade mineral oil or beeswax. You could use walnut oil or almond oil but some folks have an allergy to nuts. Coconut oil could also be used. Warm the oil then apply it in the direction of the wood grain. Allow it to dry for 5 or 6 hours then reapply. Depending on the wood you will need four or five coats of oil. You'll also want your customer to know what you've used because they will need to re-oil the bowls periodically.

You've done some beautiful work, by the way.
    Yeah I never really thought of the peanut allergy. I have tried the beeswax, but didn't like how it turned out. Thanks for the info, sounds like you know a little bit about this. And thanks for the compliment.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Thanks for the pic's, mighty fine work there, really like the one with the real dark grain on light wood.
    Thank you. Those unique ones are hard to find. Gotta find a good burl to get patterns and colors like that.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Oh beautiful!
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

I don't know squat about making bowls but I've made a lot of wood stuff back in the day. Cutting boards were what I used the mineral oil on.

I'll be honest, at first I was like WTF bowls? lol

But very nice work. I've wanted a lathe for the longest time for all sorts of things. Bowls never even crossed my mind. How much do they sell for if you don't mind me asking?

Quote Originally Posted by JPGreco View Post
    I'll be honest, at first I was like WTF bowls? lol

But very nice work. I've wanted a lathe for the longest time for all sorts of things. Bowls never even crossed my mind. How much do they sell for if you don't mind me asking?
    Well the ones I make for the local knife company I get a flat $50 each. The decorative bowls vary by size and species. Anywhere from $50 to $150 each. I've made a few serving platters and will be making cups and coblets soon too. Plus I'm still making knives to sell as well. Maybe I'll be able to quit my job soon

Finished this one late last night. Put three coats of dark walnut oil on it.

that's some fine work. a lathe is high on my list of priorities, but i'll need a dual purpose variable speed setup if i'm going to do wood turning, since my primary interest is in machining.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.