Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Will drinking urine in a pinch save your life?

Default Will drinking urine in a pinch save your life?

It seems to have saved more then one life!

Aron Ralston used the technique when trapped for several days with his arm under a boulder.

In 1815, several crew members of the American ship Commerce, including Captain James Riley survived a shipwreck off the coast of Africa by drinking their own urine.

"In Egypt, rescue workers found a 37-year-old man alive in earthquake rubble. He survived almost 82 hours by drinking his own urine. His wife, daughter and mother would not and they died."
    http://www.all-natural.com/urine.html

British hiker Paul Beck was stranded in the Spanish mountains for six days - and survived by drinking his own urine.

yachtsmen Mark Smith and Steven Freeman spent 11 days stranded in the South China Sea after their boat capsized and put their survival down to urine.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...nk-467303.html

Haiti miracle: man survives in rubble drinking urine
    http://ibnlive.in.com/news/haiti-mir.../109085-2.html

Ma Yuanjiang, a 31-year-old power plant executive who survived seven days buried under rubble by drinking his urine and eating paper after a massive earthquake struck China in May.
    http://articles.cnn.com/2008-09-08/u...zales?_s=PM:US

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2...s-escape_N.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urophagia

The list goes on and on.Does this mean the first time that you feel thirsty you drink your own urine?No,but in a bad pinch.........
    You go Bear Grylls!
    I like escalators, because an escalator can never break; it can only become stairs. You would never see an "escalator temporarily out of order" sign, just "Escalator temporarily stairs... sorry for the convenience. We apologize for the fact that you can still get up there."

Mitch Hedberg

In a wilderness situation It will just prolong your death, IMO. Buried in rubble? What have you got to lose.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Personally...it would kill me. I KNOW I can't drink my own urine without vomiting (I have a very weak stomach in that regard), and if I'm at the point where I need to drink my urine to keep from dying of dehydration, vomiting will make it even worse.

There is no way I would ever be able to resort to drinking my own urine, knowing this.
    The key to immortality is not having a life worth living, but living a life worth remembering.
    - St. Augustine

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have.
    - Thomas Jefferson

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kris-C...6355540?ref=nf
    www.etsy.com/shop/KrisAndChrisPlaques
    www.politicsbykrista.blogspot.com

In a survival situation what do you have to lose?
    I like escalators, because an escalator can never break; it can only become stairs. You would never see an "escalator temporarily out of order" sign, just "Escalator temporarily stairs... sorry for the convenience. We apologize for the fact that you can still get up there."

Mitch Hedberg

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa Montana View Post
    In a survival situation what do you have to lose?
    I dont know, do you really want your dead body to be found with that on your breath? Lol! I sure hope I dont ever end up in a situation where that is my only choice but I suppose it would be better then drinking someone else's urine.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

IMO, there are worse things than drinking your own pee...like drinking someone else's. Seriously though, you do what you have to do unless death to you is just a transition to a better world. (it isn't to me, just yet)

Here's the thing about drinking urine. Under normal conditions your urine contains toxins, but are so dilluted that if your were to drink some you would probably suffer no ill effects. In a situation such as you describe though, you will probably drink it as a last resort (at least I hope so). By this time you have probably become very dehydrated. When this occurs, the toxins in your urine are much more concentrated. Drinking urine in this situation may very possibly decrease your chances of survival.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

This comes up about once every six months and it pi##ess me off. (get it? Ha!) It really does come up quite often on here. What Crash said. Don't do it.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I just want you to think about what is in your urine. Everytime you drink it without having any fresh water, your body is going to process it until it becomes toxic to you. Last resort? maybe. Would I do it if any and I mean any other options are available.... NO!
    I know what hunts you.

Does not matter I wouldnt so case closed for me lol
    sh4d0wm4573ri7

Blog Entries

Cool No way!!!!

Nope! (BEEP) Bear Grylls and his little horsey too! The very idea just scares the pi$$ out of me! So what's next? Asking if you don't have any other food would you resort to cannablism like the Andes survivors?
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I personally think that when it come to getting back to love ones.......I'll do whatever i have to....Period!

Mitch Hedberg

Quote Originally Posted by SARKY View Post
    I just want you to think about what is in your urine. Everytime you drink it without having any fresh water, your body is going to process it until it becomes toxic to you. Last resort? maybe. Would I do it if any and I mean any other options are available.... NO!
    I agree with you,but i wouldn't recycle it more then once.
    I think if all you had was trying to collect water from a still from leaves,hole dug in the dirt and so on.
    It has been proven that these methods produce very little water to keep you alive for very long.....how ever if you combine the two,your chances have greatly increased.

Mitch Hedberg

Blog Entries

Nope, no way would I drink contaminated water, which after all is what urine is.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

You do boil contaminated water to drink don't you in a pinch?
    Or bleach,iodine?
    Just saying i know people that have and they survived.
    Much better to survive then to dye of dehydration......its a horrible way to go.IMHO
    I think people are just hung up on the fact that BG displays this on his show so automatically it's a HELL NAW! lol
    Last edited by Melissa Montana; 04-10-2011 at 05:42 AM.

Mitch Hedberg

Melissa - my advice to not drink urine was based on fact and not what takes place on a TV show.

When you are well hydrated your urine is relatively clear. When you are dehydrated however, your urine turns to a dark yellow or even orange. This takes place because the toxins that are being expelled from your body are more highly concentrated. Your cells have less water to excrete, but your body is still trying to get rid of the harmful toxins. Drinking urine when you are severely dehydrated may speed up your dehydration, and ultimate death, much like drinking salt water.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

And the only time you take salt when you are dehydrated is along with plenty of water to replace the sodium your body has lost. I won't drink it and that has nothing to do with Bear. You can do as you choose.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

It's kinda like the question of, would you cut your arm off with a swiss army knife to get free and live, or just die in the crevice?
    Desperate times call for desperate measures, IMO.

Blog Entries

Cool Well...

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa Montana View Post
    I personally think that when it come to getting back to love ones.......I'll do whatever i have to....Period!
    That's fine, but you might want to hold off kissing them for awhile until you've used plenty of Scope! Just sayin'...
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

What you fail to supply are the cases where people drank their own urine and died. It's like being in a firefight and the gents to the left of you and right of you get killed, it just was not your time.

It's called luck.

As far as the poser Bear G., he would have died along time ago if he did not have his support cast to bail his *** out of his stupid *** stunts. My 8 year old son has even commented on his actions and why he chose to do the stupid things he does. I have no respect for the man. If you want to be one of the sheep that follows his advice then we will be reading about you in the papers, you numpty.

So, drink your pee, squeeze the juices out of crap, eat raw snakes, fish, and insects and feast away. You will get sick and die.