Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Will drinking urine in a pinch save your life?

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Lol i love it!
    I like escalators, because an escalator can never break; it can only become stairs. You would never see an "escalator temporarily out of order" sign, just "Escalator temporarily stairs... sorry for the convenience. We apologize for the fact that you can still get up there."

Mitch Hedberg

OKAY!!! LOL...
    I don't know about YOU guys...but was MUCh more amused by the conversation about drinking pee. I mean...not a lot more amusing that burly, grown men, using the term "pee-pee"!!

The key to immortality is not having a life worth living, but living a life worth remembering.
    - St. Augustine

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have.
    - Thomas Jefferson

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kris-C...6355540?ref=nf
    www.etsy.com/shop/KrisAndChrisPlaques
    www.politicsbykrista.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Trabitha View Post
    OKAY!!! LOL...
    I don't know about YOU guys...but was MUCh more amused by the conversation about drinking pee. I mean...not a lot more amusing that burly, grown men, using the term "pee-pee"!!

LMAO!The funny thing is i am truly LMAO!
    O he is just googling come backs.
    I like escalators, because an escalator can never break; it can only become stairs. You would never see an "escalator temporarily out of order" sign, just "Escalator temporarily stairs... sorry for the convenience. We apologize for the fact that you can still get up there."

Mitch Hedberg

Ahh man!
    Just when i was warming up!
    That was fun......for a minute.
    Party poopers!lol
    Guess I'll have to send my App in again!

Mitch Hedberg

Urine is made up of around 95% water, after a quick google the rest is made of
    urea 9.3 g/L
    chloride 1.87 g/L
    Sodium 1.17 g/L
    potassium 0.750 g/L
    creatinine 0.670 g/L

Just taking sodium from that list it is advised to keep you sodium intake to under 2,300 mg a day.

So even if a healthy human is well hydrated drinking their own urine will be pushing their boundaries of their maximum daily sodium intake.
    Put into that a dehydrated person and the level of sodium will increase dramatically in their urine.

So like drinking salt water it may seem like a good idea at the time, but unless it's distilled or watered down all your going to do is speed up the dehydration.

There are certain religious groups that believe in drinking their own urine, some even interpret the bible as recommending it.
    Drink waters from thy own cistern, flowing water from thy own well.
    In all these instances though it will be only part of a daily water intake so effectively heavily watered down.

I'd hazard a guess that's exactly what was done in all the instances mentioned as there is no doubt what-so-ever that drinking your own urine will cause more problems than it will fix and only help in dehydrating you quicker.

If you can distil it though you've removed all those harmful ingredients so will be left with the 95% water.

I hope guns aren't the ONLY thing that make for a polite society.
    The earlier (thankfully, deleted) exchange was depressing. Was it really necessary? I thought we were better than that.

We are, and it was uncalled for.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Pee is good!.....Mkay!.....Dying is bad!....Mkay!

cbr - I think the numbers you posted is for a hydrated person i.e., "normal" urine, whatever that is. I would think if you were dehydrated to the point of even considering such an act those numbers would be skewed off the charts.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm...

Okay, something seems wrong here, bear with me. I'm in a survival situation and terribly dehydrated. So I take water out of my body & put it right back in, right? Why didn't I just leave it there in the 1st place? What did I gain?

The Native Americans, like the Apache, used to suck on small pebbles to keep there mouths moist, so, agreeing that my mouth is dry I can use the Apache method for that, but why just move my bodily fluids around? Don't I have to ADD more water to my body than I already have? Drinking my own urine doesn't seem to solve that problem.
    Last edited by Sarge47; 04-12-2011 at 07:37 AM.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Okay, something seems wrong here, bear with me. I'm in a survival situation and terribly dehydrated. So I take water out of my body & put it right back in, right? Why didn't I just leave it there in the 1st place? What did I gain?

The Native Americans, like the Apache, used to suck on small pebbles to keep there mouths moist, so, agreeing that my mouth is dry I can use the Apache method for that, but why just move my bodily fluids around? Don't I have to ADD more water to my body than I already have? Drinking my own urine doesn't seem to solve that problem.
    Well i don't know about you ,but i can't hold my pee back for very long.lol
    I heard sucking on a button to get saliva works in the "Bush".....yea yea Dime told me that one!
    Good call on the Stone Sarge!

Mitch Hedberg

Yeah, when you get older it's even worse. I wake up two or three times a day just to go the bathroom. Even more at night! The pebble thing works well if you are thirsty. I've used it several times. It's one of those things my dad taught me that was taught to him in the military. It won't work when you are dehydrated because you stop producing saliva in order to conserve water.

One of the proteins in your blood is called albumin. One of its main roles is to bind with water so the blood vessels stay hydrated and you maintain blood pressure. That's great when you have access to water but as the amount of water in your body drops the albumin begins to take water from the cells to maintain blood pressure. That means your skin, muscles and organs give up water in favor of blood pressure. That's bad for organs like kidneys and liver and explains why your muscles begin to stop working with severe dehydration. Still, that's a benefit because no blood pressure means no circulation to the brain.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    cbr - I think the numbers you posted is for a hydrated person i.e., "normal" urine, whatever that is. I would think if you were dehydrated to the point of even considering such an act those numbers would be skewed off the charts.
    Exactly right Rick,

They are "best case scenario" it only gets worse the more you are dehydrated.

As i say using distilled urine, i can't see any problem at all.
    Drinking watered down urine, again no real problem people do carry out this practice,
    Drinking straight urine, this is going to make you very ill very quickly, it will dehydrate you quicker than not drinking it exactly the same as drinking sea water.

I didn't mean to minimize your post only to clarify what the numbers represented.

Dang it....I missed all the fun! I just want to know....did Melissa flash anyone? LOL
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Yeah, when you get older it's even worse. I wake up two or three times a day just to go the bathroom. Even more at night! The pebble thing works well if you are thirsty. I've used it several times. It's one of those things my dad taught me that was taught to him in the military. It won't work when you are dehydrated because you stop producing saliva in order to conserve water.

One of the proteins in your blood is called albumin. One of its main roles is to bind with water so the blood vessels stay hydrated and you maintain blood pressure. That's great when you have access to water but as the amount of water in your body drops the albumin begins to take water from the cells to maintain blood pressure. That means your skin, muscles and organs give up water in favor of blood pressure. That's bad for organs like kidneys and liver and explains why your muscles begin to stop working with severe dehydration. Still, that's a benefit because no blood pressure means no circulation to the brain.
    That explains a lot.

Ugh...did anyone else's head just hit the desk? LOL!!
    Okay...I'm outta here for now. Just remember...water GOOD. Pee BAD! Why do I feel like I did when my son was little? LOL!!
    "No!! Don't eat that!! Ca-ca!!! Bad!! Yuck!!"

LOL!
    The key to immortality is not having a life worth living, but living a life worth remembering.
    - St. Augustine

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have.
    - Thomas Jefferson

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kris-C...6355540?ref=nf
    www.etsy.com/shop/KrisAndChrisPlaques
    www.politicsbykrista.blogspot.com

Voice in the Wilderness preachtheWORD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cbr6fs View Post
    There are certain religious groups that believe in drinking their own urine, some even interpret the bible as recommending it.
    "Drink waters from thy own cistern, flowing water from thy own well."
    In context, that verse (Proverbs 5:15) is talking about being faithful to your own spouse, rather than "looking for love in all the wrong places."

In my humble opinion there is no way that verse is talking about drinking pee.

But anyway, if drinking pee is a good idea, why don't some of the "pro-pee" folks give it a try. Step up to the challenge and try to live off of nothing but urine for hydration for a couple days. Well, you can live without water for three days, so maybe somebody should try to live off of whizz for a week. That would settle it for sure.

So, who's gonna do it? If you will, I'll send you a free bottle of mouthwash at the end of the challenge!
    Last edited by preachtheWORD; 04-12-2011 at 08:31 AM.
    Preach It - Teach It - LIVE IT

I'm surprised no one has brought up the Holocaust Survivors.
    Lots of stories about the things they had to do to survive.
    Including drinking urine,eating bugs,eating toothpaste,eating meat that they had to scrap green off of.
    Even stories of the frontier life.
    See it's not just today's stories that i started this Thread it is a combination of Listening to Dimes Marine Buddy's,Doing my own searches,Reading Holocaust stories,etc.And not falling into the jealous hatred of the bashing BG crowed!
    It wasn't like i started this and didn't do my homework as some have suggested.
    I even went as far as the lookup medical uses.And i don't hold much faith in Dr's,but thats a whole other Thread!

Mitch Hedberg

Melissa i have no idea why you are pushing this subject.

There is absolutely no doubt that drinking ONLY your own urine will kill you quicker than not drinking it.
    It may quench your thirst but the build up of toxins and sodium will cause premature kidney and/or liver failure.

This is a extremely well documented and known fact.

For pure survival under extreme scientific circumstances it's always worth reading through various NASA papers, if it was remotely possible for a healthy human to live drinking their own unprocessed urine then it would be common place on all space missions.
    The cost of getting water and the waste water recycling system into orbit would over rule any uncomfortable feelings from the pilots.

If you can dilute your urine or process it then all is fine, but drinking straight urine over a few days will cause liver/kidney damage.

It is not to be recommended under any circumstances.