Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another one in the works

Default Another one in the works

This one still has a fair bit of work remaining, but this is my latest knife project:

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

blade length: about 5 2/3"
    OA length: about 8 3/4.
    Last edited by canid; 04-09-2011 at 12:02 AM.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

I really like that one. Well done.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Very nice. What's the handle made of?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

It looks Like walnut (on My monitor)and silly putty spacers....I like the copper ...alot
    (G)
    "Once you have ruined your reputation you can live relatively free"

Real Nice Work Keep It Up

The spacers are leather. They and the butt plate are still not finished.

the wood is indeed walnut.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Silly putty. Chuckle.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Sorry,wry sense of humor....Love the coppers...rough.classic materials,and a sturdy grind... a saber grind will cut you up! still Love It....
    (G)
    "Once you have ruined your reputation you can live relatively free"

That's coming along nice. What's the blade made from?

mill saw blade, presumably L-6, though there's really no easy way to be certain.

I'm sure crash recognizes it.
    Last edited by canid; 04-10-2011 at 08:46 AM.

well; I learned one of those really obvious lessons today. heat + leather spacers is a bad combination. I had to fix a solder-up after fitting the handle. a light sanding and touch up of the wood finish was no problem, but the leather spacers like to shrink and while the fit had been so near perfect, there is now an unsightly recess between the copper and the walnut. I should have planned that out better.

I had even managed to keep things cool while sanding the copper to-fit and was feeling just a little too proud of myself. That's what I get.

New handle time. there's 6+ hours of work down the drain. Maybe this time I'll find a better piece of the walnut anyway. Internal crack opened up while peening the tang tight.

I feel your pain.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I'm annoyed that it split, but very glad that I learned about the crack and was able to address it while the knife was still in my shop. I believe the culprit was flexion of the tang while peening. I still have plenty of this walnut, a little more copper bar stock, and if I'm willing to come down on my asking price I have a buyer for it. The new handle will also allow me to address the problem of the spacers. It's an overall win, but it still hurts like a fail, lol.

If ya never ruined a knife, you have only made one.

I like the look of that one. Horrid photo though...
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

To bad it broke Canid! I liked that one!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

just the handle broke; and i've got plenty more walnut.

I cut down a new block, with no major voids this time. One side is a bit plainer than the other, but it's still decently figured and has some nice curl. I finished rough boring the tang channel (still need to expand it to the tang's profile) and knocked out most of the shaping. I expect to have it finished by friday.

Also; I seem to have stabbed myself in the hand again. Ouch.
    Last edited by canid; 04-14-2011 at 02:07 AM.

You keep stabbing yourself, and we're not going to let you play with sharp things anymore.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    You keep stabbing yourself, and we're not going to let you play with sharp things anymore.
    The world needs spoons and spatulas too....... Hahaha
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.