Thread: Epic Fail

Default Epic Fail

After practicing on some scrap steel, it was time to grind a knife. The grind came out pretty good for my first one in several months. The fail part came in when I did not straighten the steel before I heat treated (or after I completed the temper cycle). I may have gotten too agressive with it before I tempered it.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I wonder if the comment FVR made a while back about bow making applies.....If you ain't breaking them, you ain't making them.

Probably not.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Dang, I kept looking at the pics wondering what the heck was wrong with it. Maybe it didn't feel like being a knife. Maybe it felt like being a fancy fire steel striker instead.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Well, they used to say when racing sports cars, "If you don't spin out, you don't know how fast you can go around that corner".
    Just don't spin out every time.........
    Tough break was looking good.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Banned

NOT a fail, you have only discovered one of many ways on how not to tempor a knife

Thomas Edison - 1000 attempts making a light bulb... finally, he got one that worked. Same thing, he found 1000 ways on how not to make a light bulb.

Keep at it and do not get discouraged, you have a very nice talent there that many would kiss ole Kelsies butt in market square to have ....

bound to loose a few here and there. it's still a fine blade, and there is probably a partial tang knife in there. for all the flack they get they are as sturdy as you commit to making them.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Looks like a short handled tool. I'll bet if the SHTF and someone had nothing, and they found that; they would think they found the greatest treasure on earth.

I temper mine just as soon as they are cool enough from the HT to handle. The good news is that you know your HT/quench method is getting the steel very hard. It's a good reminder and a good lesson learned...Dont mess with any carbon steel between the quench and the first temper cycle! That was a nice looking blank!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Shoot Crash, look like a little grinding to make a short hidden tang antler handle knife is in order. You already have the pin hole.
    Last edited by Winter; 04-09-2011 at 01:34 PM.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Dang, I kept looking at the pics wondering what the heck was wrong with it. Maybe it didn't feel like being a knife. Maybe it felt like being a fancy fire steel striker instead.
    LOL!! Me too, Rick!! Ouch...that sucks, Crash. There is nothing worse than putting that kind of effort into a piece, only to have it break like that. I've had it happen to me with a clock I made. It was devastating!
    The key to immortality is not having a life worth living, but living a life worth remembering.
    - St. Augustine

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have.
    - Thomas Jefferson

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kris-C...6355540?ref=nf
    www.etsy.com/shop/KrisAndChrisPlaques
    www.politicsbykrista.blogspot.com

Yeah, I'll make something with it. Either a little kit knife, or a partial tang knife.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Shoot, looks like the making of a good folder!