Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Annual Member Get Together Formerly Known as Prince..I Mean Indiana Jamboree

LOL yeah I noticed that it was too small to hold a LOT of tents from the aerial view(You can see a Camper trailer/horse trailer type RV in one spot.). I was just kinda' confused, thinking it might have been like the sites in past years where each had to reserve their own site.
    Because a survival situation carries an aura of timelessness, a survivor cannot allow himself to be overcome by it's duration or quality. A survivor accepts the situation as it is and improves it from that standpoint. Prologue from Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Being that the sites are group sites, there's no need for everyone to reserve a site. I spoke to the park supervisor and she said that the sites that we're reserving go back into the woods and that there was a fair amount of room for each site. I'll keep an eye on the list of attendees that Crash posts, and make sure we have the appropriate space for everyone. If it becomes apparent that we need more space, we'll ask for another person to rent a site. The cost of the sites will then be settled up on Saturday and divided by the number of people that stayed at the site. (children don't count, couples count as one) A site cost $22.00 or $30.00 per night ($44.00 or $60.00 for the weekend).
    Last edited by pgvoutdoors; 07-28-2011 at 03:00 PM.
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

On the food issue....Why don't we try to narrow down the meal items for Saturday night so we have that knocked out. I'm just throwing some ideas out so jump in...please.

If we keep it to one entree that is flexible then everyone else can pitch in veggies, breads and desserts. I would think everyone can eat chicken and it can be fixed a number of ways so there is some variety. Some may not be able to eat beef or pork but chicken should work. It can be fixed grilled, BBQ'd and marinated for example to give some variety.

thoughts?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Works for me. Chicken is a good choice.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Me to. I love chicken.
    Proof of a higher power, is the power of a horses stride. Line for line, grace and majesty, taking me for a ride.

Blog Entries

Chicken is good for me, one of my favorites to cook outdoors.
    "Just Get Out!"

Blog Entries

WANTED

Men and women wanted for a great journey into the land of Kentucky. No wages. Great Fall weather. Long weekend with the possibility of dinner in the dark. Safe return likely. Honor and recognition upon success.

Boots In The Field!

Quote Originally Posted by pgvoutdoors View Post
    When I first posted this I thought I would get a few comments, it's a play on words for a famous advertisement for an expedition. Does anyone know who wrote the original? "Boots In The Field" that's Sourdough.
    OK, I know it must sound familiar to some of you but you just can't put your finger on it, so here's the original advertisement -

"MEN WANTED: FOR HAZARDOUS JOURNEY. SMALL WAGES, BITTER COLD, LONG MONTHS OF COMPLETE DARKNESS, CONSTANT DANGER, SAFE RETURN DOUBTFUL. HONOUR AND RECOGNITION IN CASE OF SUCCESS. "

If the word "Survival" is ever spoken, then this person's name should be acknowledged. Who is it?
    Last edited by pgvoutdoors; 07-28-2011 at 10:59 PM.
    "Just Get Out!"

I don't know but count me in on the journey...LOL
    Proof of a higher power, is the power of a horses stride. Line for line, grace and majesty, taking me for a ride.

Blog Entries

Default Boating, canoeing, & Kayaking the Green River and the Nolin River

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

http://www.nps.gov/maca/planyourvisit/boating.htm

Within the boundaries of Mammoth Cave National Park, 25 miles of the Green River and six miles of the Nolin River carry boaters past dramatic bluffs, majestic trees, and wildlife. The Green River, dotted with sandbars, islands, and subsurface springs, averages 200 feet wide and 10 feet deep, though its depth may be much greater in places. The Nolin River also averages about 10 feet deep, but its channel is narrower than the Green River.

At normal water levels, the Green River runs at about five miles per hour. The current in the Nolin is slightly slower than the current in the Green. Therefore, both rivers offer pleasant canoeing, even for novices. When the rivers flood, the current can be very swift, but no whitewater conditions exist along the Green or Nolin Rivers in the park. Regardless of water level, always be alert to hazards such as submerged trees and rocks, drifting debris, and the two ferries that carry vehicles and passengers across the Green River.
    Last edited by pgvoutdoors; 07-28-2011 at 10:58 PM.
    "Just Get Out!"

Blog Entries

Default Important Information

Annual Member Get Together 2011
    (formally known as the Indiana Jamboree)

Location: Maple Springs Campground - group sites 2,3,4 (Mammoth Cave, Kentucky)
    Dates: Friday October 21st - Sunday October 23rd
    If you plan to attend, PM crashdive123 and he'll put your name on a list that is updated and posted regularly.

See the following posts for more information:
    No. 66 Campground Info
    No. 68 Campground Info/ Report
    No. 70 Fishing Info
    No. 73 Canoeing Info
    No. 83 Campground Info
    No. 102 Firewood & Camping Regulations
    No. 112 Google Map & aerial photography of the campground
    No. 113 Lake Nolin & Green River Lake
    No. 114 Kentucky Fishing & Boating Guide 2011, pdf
    No. 117 River Ferry Limitations
    No. 118 Flying in with limited gear, PM Kyratshooter for possible help with equipment
    No. 133 CCW Laws
    No. 142 Group sites and how we will share the cost
    No. 149 Boating, Canoeing, & Kayaking the Green and Nolin Rivers
    No. 152 Mammoth Cave Tours
    No. 170 Saturday Night's Group Meal
    No. 176 Saturday Night's Group Meal - Contributions (contact Rick for your contributions to be put on the list)
    Last edited by pgvoutdoors; 07-30-2011 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Additional Information
    "Just Get Out!"

It's been a couple days since I've been online, dads been keeping me busy at the family feed store. Thanks for the offer equus, I'll give you a call tomorrow, I'm researching what a greyhound ticket will cost. It looks like the two closest greyhound stations to the park are Elizabethtown and Bowling Green. I've never ridden a greyhound before, does anybody know if you can get off anywhere on the route or do you have to get off at a greyhound station? It looks like it's goin to cost about 200 bucks, for a two way trip, I'm going to have to lock it in a time safe to keep from spending it on pizza while at college
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Blog Entries

Default Mammoth Cave Tours

The tour schedule changes with the seasons. We'll be at the park during the Fall schedule, but tour times have not been set for that period yet. If your interested in a cave tour, check the below link as there's different tour packages you can take. Most of the packages cost between $10-15 per adult.

http://www.nps.gov/maca/planyourvisit/gocavetours.htm
    "Just Get Out!"

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

If you have never been to MC you need to schedule a tour.

After all, you are talking about a World Heritage Natural Site, the largest cave system in the world!

It's like considering going to the Grand Canyon National Park just to see Rick in his thong and never looking over the edge of the Canyon.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I've been on a couple of cave tours, but have never been to Mammoth. I will definitely be taking the tour. There is something magical about viewing something that often appears so fragile that took so long to form. I cannot imagine camping in the area and not going on the tour.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by pgvoutdoors View Post
    WANTED

Men and women wanted for a great journey into the land of Kentucky. No wages. Great Fall weather. Long weekend with the possibility of dinner in the dark. Safe return likely. Honor and recognition upon success.

Boots In The Field!

OK, I know it must sound familiar to some of you but you just can't put your finger on it, so here's the original advertisement -

"MEN WANTED: FOR HAZARDOUS JOURNEY. SMALL WAGES, BITTER COLD, LONG MONTHS OF COMPLETE DARKNESS, CONSTANT DANGER, SAFE RETURN DOUBTFUL. HONOUR AND RECOGNITION IN CASE OF SUCCESS. "

If the word "Survival" is ever spoken, then this person's name should be acknowledged. Who is it?
    Many attribute the quote to an ad run by Shakleton to put together a team to reach the South Pole..
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Correct Crash, it's believed to be the advertisement that Ernest Shackleton used to recruit men for his expedition to the south pole in 1914. Twenty-eight men were selected from the volunteers. The survival story is one of the best ever told.

Note: twenty-eight people went on that trip so we should have no problem in getting at least that many to enjoy a great time in Kentucky.
    Last edited by pgvoutdoors; 07-29-2011 at 11:19 AM.
    "Just Get Out!"

Okay, I am in. I have been MIA for several weeks, but I have been keeping an eye on some of the posts just in case you all try to sneak something past while I was gone. Well, it did not work! I am attending the shindig and so you all better prepare.

Also, there better be some nice places for my hammock or I will be sadly disappointed.

And another thing, how many of you are bringing the better half? Trying to convince my ol' lady to come along, but if she thinks she will be the only lady present she will skip out. And if she skips out she will beat me senseless for not taking her to MC again.

Blog Entries

First, no problem with trees, plenty of those around the campsites. Check-out the Google aerial photograph. (link on post No. 112)

I know Dottie is coming, Mrs. Crash is "maybe" right now, and my girlfriend is possibly coming.
    "Just Get Out!"

I will most definitely be there. Please get some women out there if you men can. I would like to have company to you know. Also don't forget about children if you have any bring them. My boys talk about the jamborees still.

Blog Entries

I believe I got my girlfriend talked into going, she has a few days of vacation left.
    "Just Get Out!"