Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Annual Member Get Together Formerly Known as Prince..I Mean Indiana Jamboree

I was just thinking about the Illinois, Michigan and Wisconsin folks having to travel. W. Virginia is a bit of a drive. If we keep it south then Crash doesn't have so far to drive either. Someone mentioned Mammoth Cave in Kentucky. That would be a good one, too.

Just to think outloud....If we wait until September the start of school might be a problem for some. August will probably be pretty hot. June-July time frame?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think if we wanted to have it further north, then the lower half of Michigan would be best area to look into.
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

If we want it centrally located for those that have attended before, Kentucky is about in the middle.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Lots of places in KY to have a meet.

Mammoth Cave: http://www.nps.gov/maca/index.htm (Worlds largest known cave, and not to mention Cedar Sink.)

Carter Caves: http://parks.ky.gov/findparks/resortparks/cc/ (Has an underground waterfall if I remember correctly)

Land Between the Lakes: http://www.lbl.org/ (Elk and Bison Prairie)

Lots to choose from, just have to decide what you want to do.

I can get a good meetup spot if it's in Indiana,people might enjoy the many attractions and homesteading/covered bridges aspects,plenty too see and do!

http://www.coveredbridges.com/index.php/home?cfid=1

Thought I'd revive this to see if we might be able to get something going. I'll just toss this out - (pick a place) October 21 - 23. Thoughts?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

This is just me thinkin out loud, but if it's in Indiana and you want a place out in the sticks the hoosier national forest might be a place to consider. They have horse/hiking trails, camping, and fishing. Heres their website http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fs...Forest-%20Home
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

I know that PGV has expressed interest. Any other takers so we can form up some plans?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

If it's close and my school schedule permits, I'd like to come.
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

I am interested. I cannot travel far from home, I have too many responsibilities at home. If ya'll ever want a deep swamp experience....I can definately make it happen.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Unless it's REAL Close, I think Dottie and I will have to pass this year, although she thinks that is when her last vacation is scheduled for this year....Oct. 21-23.
    Because a survival situation carries an aura of timelessness, a survivor cannot allow himself to be overcome by it's duration or quality. A survivor accepts the situation as it is and improves it from that standpoint. Prologue from Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen

Depending on where it is at will determine if Mel and I and the boys can attend. I like the October dates actually. Not hot and not cold just right I think. Foliage will be pretty to for the hikes. I will look back in a bit to see if there has been any responses.
    Proof of a higher power, is the power of a horses stride. Line for line, grace and majesty, taking me for a ride.

I got directions to Mammoth Cave and Mel and I are only about 23 miles from there.
    We are approxamately 139 miles from Land Between the Lakes and 215 miles from Carter Caves.
    Mammoth Cave we could definitely get to but not real sure about the other two places this year.
    Proof of a higher power, is the power of a horses stride. Line for line, grace and majesty, taking me for a ride.

Blog Entries

Mammoth Cave area would work for me.
    "Just Get Out!"

If it happens here Mel and I can go but somewhere else is kind of iffy for us.

Mammoth Cave is doable for me as well. It would be a good explore for kids you and old alike.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

My only concern for any location is reservering campsites. It can get busy in the Fall as we know.
    "Just Get Out!"

It would be.

Blog Entries

Any recommendations for a campground?
    "Just Get Out!"

Here is the website to Mammoth Cave.

http://www.nps.gov/maca/planyourvisit/camping.htm