Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Annual Member Get Together Formerly Known as Prince..I Mean Indiana Jamboree

Like the weather outlook, my favorite camp'n temp
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Planning Information

Annual Member Get Together 2011
    (formally known as the Indiana Jamboree)

Location: Maple Springs Campground - group sites 2,3,4 (Mammoth Cave, Kentucky)
    Dates: Friday October 21st - Sunday October 23rd
    If you plan to attend, PM crashdive123 and he'll put your name on a list that is updated and posted regularly.

See the following posts for more information:

No. 66 Campground Info
    No. 68 Campground Info/ Report
    No. 70 Fishing Info
    No. 73 Canoeing Info
    No. 83 Campground Info
    No. 102 Firewood & Camping Regulations
    No. 112 Google Map & aerial photography of the campground
    No. 113 Lake Nolin & Green River Lake
    No. 114 Kentucky Fishing & Boating Guide 2011, pdf
    No. 117 River Ferry Limitations
    No. 118 Flying in with limited gear, PM Kyratshooter for possible help with equipment
    No. 133 CCW Laws
    No. 142 Group sites and how we will share the cost
    No. 149 Boating, Canoeing, & Kayaking the Green and Nolin Rivers
    No. 152 Mammoth Cave Tours
    No. 170 Saturday Night's Group Meal
    No. 176 Saturday Night's Group Meal - Contributions (contact Rick for your contributions to be put on the list)
    No. 180 Weather Information
    No. 184 Shooting Range at Rockcastle Shooting Center (Firearms and Archery)
    Last edited by pgvoutdoors; 08-07-2011 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Additional Information
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

Blog Entries

Just a bump to keep it current. Check out the above list of posts for more information. It will definitely be a good time for all that attend.
    "Just Get Out!"

Blog Entries

Default Target Shooting

Firearm & Archery Shooting -

I know many of you have an interest in firearms and the shooting sports, so I've been looking into locating public shooting ranges. Rockcastle Shooting Center http://www.rockcastleshootingcenter.com/ is a very nice shooting facility located about 30 minutes from the campground we're be staying at. They offer both firearm and archery shooting.

Quote from their website:
    "Welcome to the Rockcastle Shooting Center, the ultimate shooting destination resort in the United States. Rockcastle Shooting Center is the newest entity of the Park Mammoth property comprised of approximately 2000 acres. The Shooting Center offers a 15-station Sporting Clay course set among the wooded ridges and valleys of the historic area and a 5-Stand course that overlooks a scenic Cattail pond.

Additionally, Rockcastle has Rifle Ranges from 50 out to 1,000 yards and beyond, multiple Pistol Ranges and two 20 3-D Archery courses set across our diverse terrain. A permanent Cowboy Action shooting town has been fabricated, complete with five Old Western facade stages.

The Rockcastle Shooting Center is host to a variety of local, regional, National, and International shooting competitions. There are over 30 plus shooting events scheduled in 2011, including inaugural matches for I.D.P.A., USPSA, and Scholastic Steel Challenge and many more. Starting in the spring of 2011, we look forward to hosting regular Paintball and Airsoft scenario based matches."

There is a SASS shoot scheduled for Saturday in the Cowboy Town hosted by a local club.

If you have any questions about the range, I was told you can contact the Shooting Sports Manager, Zac, at 270-612-0176.
    Last edited by pgvoutdoors; 08-07-2011 at 03:21 PM.
    "Just Get Out!"

Blog Entries

Default 3D Archery Course at Rockcastle

Archery:
    There is a (20) target 3D archery course available at Rockcastle. The cost for non-members is $12.00 a person. They allow all types of archery including cross-bow. http://www.rockcastleshootingcenter.com/ Practice range: $5.00 for non-members.
    "Just Get Out!"

Blog Entries

Annual Member Get Together 2011
    Mammoth Cave, Kentucky

What is there to do?
    Meet fellow forum members and share skills, food, and stories around the campfire. Forum members always bring a few challenging activities to test your skills.
    Visit Mammoth Cave, the worlds' largest cave system.
    Fish, canoe, or kayak the Green and Nolin rivers.
    Go boating and fishing on the stunning Green River Lake or Nolin Lake.
    Hike many miles of trails and view the spectacular beauty of Kentucky.
    Bring your horses and ride the bridle trails. Our group campsites allow horses!
    Visit Rockcastle Shooting Center and do a little target shooting with you rifle or pistol. Or, test your archery skills on their 3D target course.

There isn't any limit to what you can do at this year's gathering. Get together with members that have the same interests and head out and enjoy yourselves. This is a great chance to make some new friends while enjoying the great outdoors.

"Just Get Out!"

I am quite excited for this years shindig and cannot wait. I plan on eating till I can no longer stand or get out of my hammock.

Since there is so much available this year I am thinking it may be a little chaotic. My wife definitely wants to do the cave tour, but other than that she doesn't much care.

Blog Entries

I've done my best to gather information on the area. There is no obligation to do anything more than enjoy yourself. The more people that come , the greater the interests will be. There is much that can be done, it's a great area, but there will be plenty to do at camp as well. Just meeting the forum members and spending some time getting to know each other has always been a good experience.
    "Just Get Out!"

I'd have to second that. You'd done a great job. There may well be a place for you in Traxistan as Minister of Information! Non-scientific information of course. Don't want you horning in on my gig.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Pvg, you've gone above & beyond all expectations, I'm sure!
    That's world class concierge service. Wish I could attend.

I agree with others. Great job and thank you Phil.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Bump - We still need some volunteers on food. A couple of more versions of chicken and the rest below.

Attendees:

Equus
    Poco
    The boys
    PGVoutdoors
    Rick
    Laughingbeetle
    Kyratshooter
    Roar-K
    Crash

Menu
    Chicken
    Campfire Spicy Chicken Breasts ala Crash.
    Kyratshooter

Bread
    Rick

Vegetables

Drinks

Desert
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I will bring something to put together a chicken dish.

What other foods, breakfast stuff?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Typically we do the one group meal and spend the other meals grazing. Don't know why, but we tend to cook a lot.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Some of us tend to eat a lot, too.

I've updated the list above. Thank, KY.

So what campsite activities are we doing this year? By this I mean activities we can do around the camp and not have to leave. I am asking because once I have had some grub it's going to be hard getting me to move more than 25-50ft. at a time.

In the past couple of get togethers....

Friday most arrive and set up camp. We all kind of hang out and get reacquainted. Some local exploring or fishing.

Saturday probably the cave tour, or whatever activity you choose. PGV has listed quite a few options that are available. Back to camp - cook - eat - cleanup. A short hike to help the food settle. We have then sat around the fire telling stories, lies and darn lies. Saturday around the fire is when we have drawn for "campfire prizes".

Sunday strike camp sometime after breakfast and head out.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

So no tomahawk throwing or shooting the sling shots or any other fun activities? Crash I cannot believe you would forgot those.

That's all part of the getting reacquainted. You'll hear a lot of Hey - y'all watch this and Looky here and some Oops!
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Wish I could attend. But family and work obligations prevent everything but a possible day trip. Maybe I can swing that. However if anyone going is coming through my area and wants to pick up some "goodies" like danishes, and such I'll be gladd to contribute them let me know. Don
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.