Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cutting glass- added twist tempered glass

Banned

You can also use potasium permagnate, sugar and mag powder to do the same thing, just ignition is a bit unsure as you use finger nail glycerin or glycol coolant as the igniter...........can take from 15 seconds to 5 minutes to ignite.

Iodide crystals and sugar and mag filings and a drop of water......... but then you have to really be able to walk fast......and the wonderful purple cloud it makes is really cool, although stinks bad.....

Thermite works on cutting temp glass too... but that stuff is just crazy to work with.......

An explosion would crack/break the glass, so you want to avoid a detonation.....you want pin pointed high temp fire, not a focused or shaped H.E. charge.........

Now, if we were cutting steel (making a hole or cutting through a beam).... you would use glass (small shot glass, martini glass or magaretta glass is perfect) or copper pounded into a cone and a home made plastique H.E. to make the glass cut the steel in a shaped charge using the glass as a melted spall....like a plasma jet.

But I digress.......

Fourth of July around my place tends to be fun.....we usually shoot anvils up in the air with black powder launchers....

There is obviously something in that jello.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Lets see, I need to dig out my canon box and see if I have any canon fuse left, the green stuff, never tried tying a knot in it, pretty stiff.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Does it have to be tempered glass? I have a LOT of 1/4" plate glass that isn't tempered. I'd be more than happy to cut you a square and send it if it will work. Just let me know the dimensions.

Blog Entries

After 27 years as a glazier, hears my two cents. Just pony up and buy the right glass for the job, its just like having the right tool for the job. You will save money in the long run and have a lot less frustration overall. Again just my 2 cents, hope this helps and have fun. P.S. neocream can be cut to size at a glass shop/ its pricy but look for a shop that carries it.
    Last edited by huntermj; 04-07-2011 at 10:48 PM.
    I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.
    Oscar Wilde

http://www.youtube.com/user/jimhuntermj21

Another thought if the glass route is not working for you......use some thin sheet metal or flashing - attach with stainless steel rivets - mount a thermometer.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

But then how would you know when the bacon is done?
    I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.
    Oscar Wilde

http://www.youtube.com/user/jimhuntermj21

Bacon cooking is a fine art, that once mastered, can be done in any conditions - even with your eyes closed.

....or was that bacon eating?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

And here I thought this was a survivial forum. Be careful Hunter. Peers suicide may be in the wind.:>)

Oldtrap
    Never claimed to be an expert. Just use or do what works for me.

Blog Entries

Maybe I'm being a dolly again, but can you use a piece of Mica sheeting to replace the glass? that is silly cheap and can be cut to size

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PARAFFIN-WOOD-...item2eb4619f75
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Banned

Mica is the easiest to work with for sure. I just like blowing things up errrrr using directed flame to make them work for me

Oh you sillies. You have to actually read the thread. We discussed that "can't see the food" eons ago.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

Maybe a piece of sheet Metal or Mica will do the trick ?

lol

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Bacon cooking is a fine art, that once mastered, can be done in any conditions - even with your eyes closed.

....or was that bacon eating?
    To sorta repeat an old quote, "Don't fry bacon naked". or in this case glass good,... not seeing inside, but still protected, not so good.
    I do want to thank, everyone for their suggestions and concern for my physical well being.

Lets review:
    Camp stove from yard sale $2 bucks.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Po...mp-Oven/895626 $39.+ bucks.
    Note this model doesn't have a window, either.

Original plan "B" did involve replacing the "glass" with sheet metal, (added thermometer great idea).
    I do carry one in my HVAC service kit for oven work.

Suggestion referring to using the proper product, though expensive would be the easiest, best way (Firm believer of doing it right the first time). Still pricey.

Hunting up a piece of Mica, good idea, hadn't thought of that, deserves some research.

As I did pick up a piece of tempered glass, and found out later that cutting to fit wouldn't be an option ...using normal methods. (Oh, well, I have spent a lot more than $5 buck on dumber stuff in my past).

Then again after a review of an alternative method, using pyrotechnics, seems like a fun option, and the results would be acceptable either way. I mean what am I gonna do with this piece of glass anyway. Success or "OMG was that cool or what!"

So I'm gonna say @ this time, sheet metal it is, to make this old thing usable, w/the option of a future experiment.
    I guessing that most all y'all kinda guessed that was how it was gonna go....Right?

So, OK, after several false starts and debating the way to go......Got ahold of a friend that does custom glass work.

Been awhile, but since it has turned colder he was out in his shop and fired up the ovens.

The $5 buck piece of tempered glass was place in aheat treating oven and heated to remove the temper, took about 4 hours, then removed from the H.T. oven and cut to fit, then re-tempered....Had enough glass to make a spare.....LOL the most expensive $2 buck camp oven ever.

Theheat treating oven was being used for other stuff so my piece of glass sorta "rode along".

Completed oven:
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

To the right is a new project he has been working on, a "to go, Red Neck, drink goblet" made from a Mason jar and the cut down neck of a wine bottle, fused together.

DW had a dozen jars with handles so he is trying to make a set of four, for her....some breakage, different kinds of glass, causing a challenge for the fusing part.
    Can put the Mason jar lid on it for a to go class:

Seemed like a lot to put that old el-cheapo camp oven back into service, 'the right way".....but was was good to see an old vet with a new life.

Pretty cool. I love it when new life is given to old stuff.

I like your red neck goblets. Gives me an idea for something similar using some of those bottle shaped aluminum Budweiser cans.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

LOVE that table and chairs!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    LOVE that table and chairs!!!
    Well I have been getting a little heat aobut raffles, but I won that set at a Wild Turkey Federation Dinner........and there was a lady there that just cussed me out to no end...guess she had bought a bunch of raffle tickets, but didn't win.....I bought one and won, LOL.

Looks good on the porch, here's a little better picture of them.....

Oh, it gets better! A bar set no less, and you got lucky.

Yup,.... just a couple of bucks more to go first class, one beer cooler under the giant fry pan.