Thread: Cub scout camp At the End Of the Month...whta to Do?

Default Cub scout camp At the End Of the Month...whta to Do?

Well as a few Might Know I am The Cubmaster Of a Mid-sized cub pack in Georgia.I have a Camp coming up at the End Of the Month,and we have pretty much decided to not have an"advancement" camp,where we concentrate on earning a Belt Loop or academic Pin.What we have decided is to teach Outdoorsmanship......what this forum is all about.
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...***-Curriculum
    I have read this thread and I'm still reading through the stickies and I'm asking,what should I teach to a group Of 40 boys?I cant teach How to make a Fire,or knife craft to the younger Boys.I cant allow them To use an ax,cant teach them archery or rifleman-ship.What I thought Is:
    1.Hiking and Non edible Plants to avoid/Or use to help.
    2.shelter building
    3.first aid(&second aid)
    4.Knot tying
    Other than That I'm drawing a blank.we will be arriving at 7 pm on a Friday evening and Leaving after "church" on Sunday......Saturday evening we will be having a Bonfire pack meeting....something we usually don't do either.Let em Know what you think,so that I can Have it all figured Out ,before I allow my Committee to add their $.02
    Thanks
    Greg
    "Once you have ruined your reputation you can live relatively free"

wow, for cubs, thats a hard job to do for sure. Knots are always good. I Know its more of a boyscout thing, but we would make a rope bridge every year at one camp out when I was in boy scouts and a zip line at another.

You can do mock first aid drills. Teach them different ways to carry a person and to splint and bandage injuries. Or if that is too advanced, maybe how to make the person comfortable and such while waiting for help.

Orientation course? Shelter making? Signaling for help (sans fire of course)? I would make some sort of competition too.

The most important thing would be teaching zero impact camping. To leave nature as you found it if not better. Again, we always policed the area we camped in and hauled out not only our trash, but stuff we found.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

cordage and cordage plants, along with knot tying would be a long interesting lesson.

JP makes some good suggestions, and I second the zero impact camping. Use only dead fallen wood, no trash.. that sort of thing. Levering firewood, instead of using the axe. Fire safety would be a major thing to teach IMO.

and roast some shmall-o's. That's the best part of camping!!

well obviously make s'mores... lol

Yeah, fire safety is definitely a big one. I don't know what levering firewood is, but if you have an adult using an axe, you can teach them safety for that too, including the blood line.

we Practice "Leave No Trace Left Behind"...It Is a Badge that I require all Of my cubs to earn....Leave only foot Prints& Take Only Pictures and Memories.Thanks Guys keep it coming.....
    (G)

Teach them the basics of land navigation. No electronics. After they practice a bit, have them find the hidden treasure that you placed earlier. Sort of a low tech geocaching project.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

How about PM'ing Paracordist and see if he has any basic things to make from cordage, perhaps a lanyard or bracelet. this could follow on from the knot tying lesson, and they get to take something home.
    I thought about this sort of thing (though not in pink!)

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...bushcraft-kits
    Last edited by Winnie; 04-05-2011 at 05:02 AM.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

What, you are a cub master? I would have never guessed. I used to be a Cubmaster. Now I am a Scoutmaster. Anyways, I would focus on orienteering, first aid, and knot tying. You could even combine all three into a big event with prizes. Also, don't forget cooking. Doing the requirements for the outdoorsman activity badge will fill the rest of the time. By the way, why can't you show how to start a fire? That is one of the requirements, #7.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    How about PM'ing Paracordist and see if he has any basic things to make from cordage, perhaps a lanyard or bracelet. this could follow on from the knot tying lesson, and they get to take something home.
    I thought about this sort of thing (though not in pink!)

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...bushcraft-kits
    Great Idea !

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    What, you are a cub master? I would have never guessed. I used to be a Cubmaster. Now I am a Scoutmaster. Anyways, I would focus on orienteering, first aid, and knot tying. You could even combine all three into a big event with prizes. Also, don't forget cooking. Doing the requirements for the outdoorsman activity badge will fill the rest of the time. By the way, why can't you show how to start a fire? That is one of the requirements, #7.
    The activities have to be for all of the Dens....and My Webeloos II's will have Just crossed over,1 week prior....and the WI's arent ready for that.....
    (G)

Having done both BS and CS, I got a pretty good one for you. If the boys can get to the scout store to get the walking stick and leather wrap (about $10 total), you can have an activity making a walking stick personalized to each kid. I did this on an afternoon and then had the kids dod a early evening hike, as long as they keep the staffs verticla it makes for a good day!

Have the boys make their own tinfoil dinners. Lots to talk and learn about! Head down to a creek and make a minnow trap with a two liter bottle, look for crayfish, etc. Stay up late and tell scary stories...

Oh, and napalm - don't forget the napalm. Oops. Wrong group.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel