Thread: Volunteer Strawberry

Default Volunteer Strawberry

Well every once in a while I find myself appreciating the birds, and their habit of dropping - well - droppings everywhere. This is the second garden in a row to have volunteer strawberry plants come up within the second year.

Has anybody here had much experience keeping volunteer plants? How about taking stock from or transplanting plants which have already begun their first flowering? I'm thinking of preparing a bed for them and transplanting them. It would go well opposite the permanent asparagus bed I want to put in.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

I like volunteers, depending on the plant, and generally have some every year in the garden. Last year was Sunflower and onions. I have baby onions coming up this year, too.

My luck with strawberries has been hit or miss. Generally, by the third year they are getting too old to produce well. Second generation plants rarely do as well as the parent in bearing fruit. I do have strawberries planted, Ozark Beauties, but I have to replace them on a regular basis. The key it to replace a few every year rather then all of them at once.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

We usually get some volunteer blackberries (the fruit, not the electronic device) every year. I actually planted 6 strawberry plants in a container this year. So far, they are pretty small, but the strawberries that have rippened have absolutely been the sweetest that I have ever had.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

so i can't plant my old smartphones..?

darn. well; we'll see how the berries do. I'll be on the lookout for some logs or such for the asparagus bed and the same for the strawberries.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.