Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curing animal hides

Smile Curing animal hides

Hey, any one out there know a good way to cure an animal hide with out the use of chemicals.

Blog Entries

Brains, cod liver oil, pee, alum, fish oil, eggs, veg. oil, acorns, etc.

Go to braintan.com, they are full of helpfull information.

I have used brains and alum with success. Pee works for fish skins great.

For hair on I like alum as it tightens the hairs. I've made quivers from boars hide and you can run over them with a truck and the arrows won't get damaged.

Frank

Question

well how do you cure a hide with alum so the hair stays in and the hide is still pliable?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kunkel View Post
    well how do you cure a hide with alum so the hair stays in and the hide is still pliable?
    Chew it for hours, or put it in a large tumbler.

Chew on alum? That would pucker you so bad you'd have two sets of lips on your face.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned
    Blog Entries

It is best to used a two step process.....

Chewing...too funny. You'd end up looking like an aged Inuit woman with no teeth
    Earth - love it or leave it.

FireSteel.com

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RobertRogers View Post
    Chewing...too funny. You'd end up looking like an aged Inuit woman with no teeth
    I was not going to go there, but that is how it is done.

Blog Entries

I send the hides I want tanned to "Alpha fur tanners" in Anchorage. They will even flesh them for you if you are'nt up to the task.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Brain tan works well (just finished a winter rabbit pelt for a dream catcher)and leaves the hands soft for days as you apply the brain paste best with your bare hands.
    I didnt chew but used a chair rung or back of a wooden chair to pull it back and forth on. Very time comsuming, but made for a soft suptle pelt.
    Grossed the kids out a wee bit with the cookin of the brain matter, but each animal has enough brain to tan it's own hide.
    Good luck!
    ~Earth receives foot and paw, hoof and claw with equal grace. But it is the way of the wild not to overstep...let's leave no trace that wind, rain and snow cannot erase~

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RobertRogers View Post
    To funny. I know a man who has a fishing boat called the "Old Squaw". In these times of "Political correctness" he has taken to refering to the boat as "The Elderly Native Woman"
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Quote Originally Posted by LadyTrapper View Post
    Brain tan works well (just finished a winter rabbit pelt for a dream catcher)and leaves the hands soft for days as you apply the brain paste best with your bare hands.
    I didnt chew but used a chair rung or back of a wooden chair to pull it back and forth on. Very time comsuming, but made for a soft suptle pelt.
    Grossed the kids out a wee bit with the cookin of the brain matter, but each animal has enough brain to tan it's own hide.
    Good luck!
    Did you still soak the hide in a water-lye solution before applying the brain matter, or did you skip that step altogether?

Skipped that step, but rabbit pelts are so thin that they dry quickly...rewet if you need to before applying the brain.
    ~Earth receives foot and paw, hoof and claw with equal grace. But it is the way of the wild not to overstep...let's leave no trace that wind, rain and snow cannot erase~

Make sure the skin is dry, and stretch the skin as tight as possible and leave it in the sun (if the moisture is not drawn from it, it could rot). You can rub wood ashes on the skin which will help the process. While it's in the sun, make sure it stays VERY dry. A drop or two of water wont' hurt, but make sure it stays dry. You can also put it over a fire (the smoke will help preserve it), but make sure it does not hit the flames and make sure the skin stays stretched.
    INFO FROM: SAS Survival Handbook; John "Lofty" Wiseman, pg. 317

Quote Originally Posted by kunkel View Post
    I haven't used alum since I was a kid, but to make the hide pliable, we stretch a taut rope, 3/4 inch thick or better, at about eight feet high, and run the hide back and forth until it is dry. If you can't get it dry in one session - throw it back in the freezer.

If you do a lot of them this way - it is a good chance you'll have carpel tunnel problems.
    Raised By Bears
    Bear Clan

Quote Originally Posted by FVR View Post

For hair on I like alum as it tightens the hairs. I've made quivers from boars hide and you can run over them with a truck and the arrows won't get damaged.

Frank
    I have found leaching the tannis out of acrons works really good on small thin skinned game. I have never tried the thicker skinned critters.
    Last edited by Teacher; 06-17-2008 at 01:39 PM.
    Some times things that go bump in the night....get bumped back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FVR View Post

Frank
    this site is a virus

Quote Originally Posted by foresterkid View Post
    this site is a virus
    Virus as in once you go there it is difficult to leave, or virus as in something wrong with the site. Please explain since this is a four year old post.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by LadyTrapper View Post
    Good luck!
    Mind explaining to me step by step how this process works? You mentioned "cooking" the brain matter. And I don't understand terms like "chew". Sorry, I'm delving into this skill with a pretty fresh mind.

Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyadam View Post
    I don't understand terms like "chew".
    Masticate.