Thread: rope tieing

Default rope tieing

does anyone have pictures and instructions on how to make differnt knots and rope tieing techniques

I have a book on rope works which a find usefull, i'll try and get some pics out of it
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

Default check this out

Best information I've seen available on line for using ropes and the appropriate knots, also, animated instructions. You can't go wrong.

www.animatedknots.com/
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

thanks for the site

good site trax

Because I have never seen anything even talking about tying a bowline like this I will have to describe it. Hold the rope in your left hand with enough slack so you swing the end around your back and catch it so you have the end in your right hand with the rope around your body. Now take your right hand and go over the top of the rope that's between your left hand and your body and go underneath and around it towards you, this will wrap your wrist up but thats what you want. All this time you have never let go of either end. Now you have to take the end thats in your right hand above the twist you just made and pass it with just your fingers of your right hand behind the rope your holding in your left and pass it behind from the right to left, and don't drop it or you'll have to start over. Now just pull your right hand out without letting go of the end and you'll have a bowline. You don't have to hold the rope with your left hand, but the point is what if you were holding onto a cliff and your buddy just threw you a rope, or in the water or any situation where you have to be holding the rope with one hand at all times.

Blog Entries

Cool Why knot?

Quote Originally Posted by WildGoth View Post
    does anyone have pictures and instructions on how to make differnt knots and rope tieing techniques
    I like "The Boy Scout Handbook for some of the simpler knots. The Bowline is included because it's more of a "fixed loop" that's used to help in pulling people out of dangerous situations. A great way to learn to tie these knots is to visit a local Boy Scout troop in your area and ask them to teach you. It will also help in raising the "self-esteem" of the young boys as well. Nothing beats "hands-on" learning!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Default knot too punny

Thanks for the response guys. I was kind of surprised by that site, whoever did made a good job of it. I can recall anytime in my life when someone showed me how to do a knot , it's always the same. This rapid fire patter while they whip the rope around, "It's easy see? You go under here, over to the right, down and around twice, back up and through and you've got it. Got it?" and I was always left kind of going "uhhhhhhh, ok" I've had lots of chances to learn some of the basic ones over the years though, and have found that one goes back to the same ones over and over again. I found out what some of them are called by viewing the site. My bad for getting kicked out of cubscouts when I was 8.LOL

Go Wolfpack!
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

The old boyscout handbooks are really good for simple knots, I agree with sarge on that. You can also get books all about knots... look in the boating section of stores, sometimes they have them... boats use all sorta of knots and methods.
    Strider
    I take paths untrodden...

San Francisco, CA (Or San Freak-Skid Row, if you prefer)

For my money, the SAS survival handbook has a good section on knots.

A word of caution though, unless you're really into knots like decorative knots or macrame or something, treat them like most self defense practices - Find a few that you can do well, and stick with them. There are thousands of knots, and usually several variations of those knots.
    Let freedom ring
    Let the white dove sing
    Let the whole world know that today is the day of reckoning
    Let the weak be strong
    Let the right be wrong
    Roll the stone away
    It's Independence Day

-Martina McBride

Default naught knotty

Everyone in this thread is male, don't any of the ladies get knotty?

I know this is an old thread, but lately I have gotten into knotting. I needed to learn how to do a monkey fist so i could make rope toys for my dogs..and then it just spiralled. Such a cool hobby and so many useful knots for everyday life.

Best book.................
    The Ashley Book of Knots by Clifford Warren Ashley.

oh yah....I am a Knotty Lady!