Thread: Survival training,any ideas?

I live in a small town on the Pa. Oh. border

Default Survival training,any ideas?

I have a large family and we all enjoy camping,on every trip I have them practise some aspect of survival techniques.The older boys are starting to get bored.I hear things like,Oh no not again is that all you talk about etc.How can I keep it fresh and fun to learn.Their ages are 4 boys18-26,3boys9-14.The older group have been learning since they were small and help teach the younger ones.Any ideas would be welcome as I don't want them to get overconfident and cocky in the woods.Also my 23year old nephew is in the National Guard and just signed on to teach survival classes to the Civil Air Patrol[Pa.'s SAR]mostly underprivaliged youths.I will be helping him when my work schedule allows.They have a strict course outline but he can elaborate as he sees fit.Any suggestions would be welcome Thanks Bill

First, create scenarios. ie. you've lost all your gear except a knife, how are you going to a;build a fire b; make a shelter etc
    second, break them up into groups to do these things then shuffle the groups up so they don't get used to working with the same people. this will reveal the weakness' in skils which can then be corrected.
    I know what hunts you.

Quote Originally Posted by SARKY View Post
    First, create scenarios. ie. you've lost all your gear except a knife, how are you going to a;build a fire b; make a shelter etc
    second, break them up into groups to do these things then shuffle the groups up so they don't get used to working with the same people. this will reveal the weakness' in skils which can then be corrected.
    Beat me to this angle, good idea.
    Bill, you are to be commended for taking the time and effort with your children, it will be something they will remember the rest of their lives, and even though they may complain from time to time........They will still remember it, and treasure it.

One idea I would offer is to have them pick a skill, to learn and be able to pass on, as a prep for those trips.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Thanks for your input.Should I break them up so each group has some one strong in each area or put 2 firestarters together so they need to practise food gathering,or should I give each group a person strong in different areas.Should I oversee them all or let them pick a leader and stay out of it?

Thanks Hunter,we come from a longtime camping family.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

You are presenting these lessons as a side activity while in camp.

Pull some feathers out of the nest. Present them with a real senerio and take them away from the nylon tent, pop-up camper and park campground fire ring.

Have a minimal gear weekend. Give them their choice of 3 items to take into the woods, then when they get there take one item away. Hike them way in before you stop and pull the trick on them so they can not hike back out before dark.

I did one weekend class like that a couple of years back using a "grab what you can take as you go out the back door" senerio. I took the kitchen "junk drawer" and let each student pick their items. They also got choice of one kitchen knife, as well as what was in their pockets.

You will really have to ride heard on them during these senerios. They will either shut down and make zero attempt, or bite off more than they can chew. Everyone's idea is the best and the ones that "think" they are leaders will run over everyone trying to accomplish the impossible.

It is easy to wind up with a half finished camp, no fire and a whole camp full of mad, hungry people.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 04-02-2011 at 03:20 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I just joined the forum. This is a fantastic topic as I am also planning a survival weekend for a group of Boy Scouts and could use some ideas. Our scenario is their plane crashed in the woods. They get to bring a small tarp, pocket knife, water bottle, a sleeping bag and a small back pack to carry it in. No food. Then send them off on a Friday night into the woods. The parents are going to set up crash sites where the boys will find odds and ends they could use to survive as well as various food items. Just starting the planning so any ideas to what we could leave out or ways we can make it a bit challenging and fun for them to figure out what and how to use the items would be great. We'll have water every so often so they don't dehydrate on us. It's not a complete "survive on your own" as we want them to have fun ad they learn some basics as well ad figure out how to work together.

Some ideas already are having them stumble on some ropes and larger tarps for shelter building. Or making fake birds nests and placing hard boiled eggs in them and placing a bunch in a low tree branch.

Look fwd to hearing other ideas.

If they're new at this be sure to have food and decent shelter available. I had boys bring minimal equipment for their "survival" camping and then spend the whole time out begging food from the other boys. If they've already become proficient on survival skills it might not be an issue. My advice would be to first teach them the skills needed then take them survival camping.

My idea would be to stop by our Introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself. Then you can start your own thread and tell us what training the boys currently have and what environment this training will take place in. Turning boy scouts lose in the Okefenokee is a tad different than the Rockies or Alaska.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

With my scouts, I have noticed that interest peaks when prizes are involved. I keep a grab bag of various survival/camping items that their parents probably won't buy for them. Also, the harder the task, the bigger the prize.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee