Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lets talk truck guns.

For propulsion or defense? If the trucks light enough you could probably get 2 miles to the round. (I slay myself)
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I carried a Mossberg 590 in my tool box in the bed of the truck for quite awhile. I was in my buddies shop and a shoot out happened in the road in front of the shop. I dropped to a hunch and drew my carry pistol. Then after the shooting stopped I made my way to my truck and got the 12 gauge. Even carrying self defense buck shot in the pipe and tube and slugs in the carrier. I don't really like the 20" gauge for a truck gun. Range even with slugs kinda sucks and buck shot gets off target quick.

I have a gun carrier installed under the back seat now. I think a 30-30 lever gun is the ticket. Though I am seriously thinking of either throwing my SGL21 in with one of my 30-30s or buying a cheaper ak and just leaving it in there with a shoulder bag for mags.

Hmmm....a truck gun.

Well....that would depend on how big a truck you plan on shootin', and how close you can get to that truck. LOL
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Quote Originally Posted by OhioGrizzLapp View Post
    I have both a .30 carbine and a lever .357 trapper take down in the truck when I go outbacking.......
    .357 lever gun would be my choice, but, i don't have one and rarely travel armed. If I feel I need one, it'll be an AR shorty which I have.

I just think the lever gun in .357 is a good 100yd gun, is more politically correct, less desirable to thieves, and will function well neglected. I've seen rusty. old levers work great
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Quote Originally Posted by klkak View Post
    Doesn't the word "kill" in "road kill deer" imply that the animal is already dead and therefore shooting it is, lets say "over kill"?
    thats just my style...when I see something dead- I like to shoot it again. If I see someone who is down- I go kick them....thats just how I roll. I'm the kind of guy that likes to take candy from a baby....
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    Hmmm....a truck gun.

Well....that would depend on how big a truck you plan on shootin', and how close you can get to that truck. LOL
    Well, now we are talking .44 mag at least, ala "Dirty Harry's Buick killer".
    (Actually I was wondering if anyone would pick up on that line of thought, and I wasn't disappointed, LOL, although it took 23 posts)
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I live in a small town on the Pa. Oh. border

My Marlin Papoose.22 in floating case.Not a self defense weapon but part of my BOB always in my vehicle.

I do realize that it's a possibility that many people wouldn't want to give out any details, no one need to know what I have and where........I go along with this line of thinking, as well. I hear ya.

The question was proposed as what might be considered IF such a thing was to be done.

It's interesting that so far the trend seems to be a practical tool rather than a AR, AK, MBR judging by the 30-30 being toward the top of the list.
    I guessing the Zombie hunting isn't a top priority for most so far? Or at least not being talked about.

As the 30-30 is a popular cartridge, available in just about any old hardware store, gas station, even country store, along with the popular 30-06, this seems to be a real good choice.

I still prefer the 12 ga as a first choice, with .22 right behind it(or along with it), but for a medium to long range compact, practical tool I don't think you can do too much better than a 30-30.
    Thats just my thoughts.
    Last edited by hunter63; 04-02-2011 at 01:07 PM. Reason: added stuff, splin'

When I was much younger, it seemed like around here every p/u truck had a 12 ga. and a 30-30 in the back window, as standard equipment. LOL
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

I'm thinking about revising my thoughts. I have a m1 garand and with its weight it would make a great truck gun.

I carried a 12 ga for a long time, then I switched to a 45/410 survivor rifle, for the last 2 years it's been a marlin 60 that I bought for 25 bux all rusted up with a broken stock. I cleaned it up, glued the stock and it serves it's purpose well, and if it gets stolen or more beat up I won't cry. I'd like to add a beat up 30-30 also but haven't had any luck finding one cheap. I also would like to upgrade the .22 to something in 22 mag but it's not a necessity.

Quote Originally Posted by shiftyer1 View Post
    I carried a 12 ga for a long time, then I switched to a 45/410 survivor rifle, for the last 2 years it's been a marlin 60 that I bought for 25 bux all rusted up with a broken stock. I cleaned it up, glued the stock and it serves it's purpose well, and if it gets stolen or more beat up I won't cry. I'd like to add a beat up 30-30 also but haven't had any luck finding one cheap. I also would like to upgrade the .22 to something in 22 mag but it's not a necessity.
    I have been thinking about the new Rossi Circirt Judge .45lc/410 as an option, or maybe the Savage Model 24 in .22mag/20ga, paired with .22/.22mag Ruger Single Six.
    Hummmmm

Normally I have a M24 Camper's Companion with me when I am traveling. I work far enough away from home that walking home woe take me awhile. I need something to help feed me along the way. It also comes in handy to have when I stay the weekend away. Got me a rabbit for the stew pot this evening. Hard to do that cleanly with my CCW.
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    That happen quite a bit in Kentucky does it? (snort, giggle)
    This being in reference to the road raged fool going from car to car popping people:

Not in KY but I get over to Ohio and Indiana on occasion and it scares me to death.

One day this week we had a dude with an airsoft gun hold off the swat team for half a day over in Ohio. Imagine what he could have done with a real gun?

In turn, the swat team fired 14 rounds at him and never scored a hit, so he did as well as the cops.

Score:

Ohio dufus with airsoft gun - 0
    Ohio swat team with hi-tech armiment and "intense training" all paid for with your tax dollars - 0
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 04-03-2011 at 03:22 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Besides the range challenge, that's why I got a 91/30. It's cheap and it goes through 1/4 inch steel like butter.

hunter63, is that the revolving rifle? I seem to remember hearing some negative things about them. I don't recall what it was though.

I guess it depends on your perceived threat, would you need it for wilderness or urban survival.

Quote Originally Posted by shiftyer1 View Post
    hunter63, is that the revolving rifle? I seem to remember hearing some negative things about them. I don't recall what it was though.
    Yes, you are correct, and although I haven't heard much of anything about them, I just happen to have one, due to winning one in a Ducks Unlimited Dinner raffle, awhile back.
    Would I have bought one? Probably not, as I can't see where it would do either job, rifle/shotgun very well.
    So, I can't really say, yet as I haven't tried it out.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...dge-.410-.45lc

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    I guess it depends on your perceived threat, would you need it for wilderness or urban survival.
    I agree, intended use would be a deciding factor, and by responses so far seem to be a forging tool first,... protection, secondary, just looking at make/model/cal/ga, suggestions.

My line of thinking would be mostly forging.........

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post
    We also have condensation issues in Alaska making a vehicle a poor choice for weapon storage.
    You know, I didn't ever think I would have condensation issues, seeing as how I live in the so-called "High Desert" and all. "Relative humidity" is basically a joke it's always so dry. So, I used to carry a little single shot 12-gauge for impromptu bunny-hunting trips. Then, during the winter, I got a bit of a surprise. I would invariably track snow into my truck which would later, as things warmed up, melt and then turn to water vapor. So, even though their was no moisture in the ambient air, in my truck there was a bit of a micro-climate which ended up developing rust on my gun (and some of my tools). I was lucky enough to discover it before any real damage was done and I don't leave a gun in the car anymore.