Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lets talk truck guns.

I'll jump in on this one too. My vote is a 30/30 or .357 lever. They are inexpensive off the used rack and can get most any problem solved. Caliber would be a consideration depending on your environment and envisioned purpose. Either will take up to medium/large game and bad guys equally well. The 30/30 may be the ticket for a little more reach on the coyote that lingers "out yonder" or that tough old boar hog tearing up the garden. The .357 with round nose 38's might make a good jack rabbit/coon gun when opportunity arises. So many choices,....such limited space behind the seat.
    9mm: Because I've seen a .45 bounce off of a windshield MORE THAN ONCE.

9mm: Because even 1911 guys don't want to get shot with one of my "little" bullets.

9mm: Because low round count single stack pistols suck in a gun fight!

My truck gun is an old, cheap, single shot 12-ga shotgun with 20" barrel and some shells on the stock. I carry it in a case under the seat, or if in the city I put it in the tool box in the bed to minimize risk of theft.
    Wherefore, let us be thankful that there are still thousands of cool, green nooks beside crystal springs, where the weary soul may hide for a time, away from debts, duns and deviltries, and a while commune with nature in her undress. ~ George W. “Nessmuk” Sears ~

I carry a Marlin 1894, .22 magnum lever action rifle in my truck. Put it in the front seat in the morning and bring it back in at night. If I have to park my truck in town I will throw a saddle blanket over it. I am usually never too far from my vehicle. I also carry a revolver on me but to reach out and touch a coyote or wild hog I need the scoped rifle. Both of those species are all over florida. A lot of people like the .17, or the .22-250, and the .223 for this. The hogs are tearing up our pastures and the coyotes are eating our barn cats. I don't carry it for self defense but I guess I could use it the circumstances were right.

Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth. Teddy R.

Can you take a hog with a .22 magnum? Yeah, I know it's all about shot placement but still. I really don't know it just seems like a wild hog is a pretty big, mean, tough animal.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I like to shot them thru the ears but will put a couple in their chests if I don't have the shot. Not much on eating them anymore but always someone around who wants it. You are right thu, I wouldn't want to try and stop one that was heck bent to get me at close range. Only had one come after me and it was while I was turkey hunting in a swamp. I put a load of 6's in his face at about 15 feet. He went sideways and I never saw him again.

I'm sure you have seen the videos of hunting them from a helicopter in Texas. they have caused millions of dollars worth of damage to crops and pastures. We have them just as bad down here. We need to shoot all we can.

Here in MI a "truck gun" is highly illegal unless it is in a locked case in the cargo area of the truck with the ammo far away from the gun and your only transporting it to and from a gun range. But I'm not sure why it would be beneficial to pack a truck gun unless you're worried about a sudden apocalypse or something. The most effective use of a 'protection' gun is to carry. If approached by a mugger, are going to say "hang on a sec while I go into the trunk for something"? And if it is in the front seat like some states allow, how quickly are you going to be able to bring it up?
    Last edited by xj2000; 05-06-2011 at 02:43 PM.
    BEND OVER - Here comes the "change"

"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders." - Ted Nugent

Quote Originally Posted by xj2000 View Post
    Here in MI a "truck gun" is highly illegal unless it is in a locked case in the cargo area of the truck with the ammo far away from the gun and your only transporting it to and from a gun range. But I'm not sure why it would be beneficial to pack a truck gun unless you're worried about a sudden apocalypse or something. The most effective use of a 'protection' gun is to carry. If approached by a mugger, are going to say "hang on a sec while I go into the trunk for something"? And if it is in the front seat like some states allow, how quickly are you going to be able to bring it up?
    A long gun in a truck allows you the advantage of having a long gun if the need arise. It would not be of use when being robbed yourself. But, if you needed the ability to respond with ability to shoot at a greater range.

Several of the mass shootings have had people try and stop the shooter with a handgun. A handgun is a bad choice against a long gun or as the saying goes, "Hand guns are for fighting to get to your long gun."

We set up steel targets at 25, 40, 60 and 80 yards yesterday. Most people have a hard time hitting a 12" plate consistently ay 25 yards. But, you get a decent long gun in and you'll see a huge difference. Doesn't matter what your trying to shoot. It is much easier accomplished with a long gun.

This is a bad video of my friend shooting at a small canister of tannerite zip tied to the handle of a gallon water jug yesterday. I don't know how to rotate the video. I took it with my phone. But. if you look closely in the background you can see the steel targets spread out. Though our paper target blocks one of the homemade gongs.

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...=VIDEO0018.mp4

When a pistol is not the right choice. As in shooting coyotes at a distance, hogs tearing up you pastures, shooting a cow to butcher, wild dogs, rabid raccoons, etc. Most people are better with a rifle than a pistol, so they ought to carry one. Now if you live in the urban areas I guest you wouldn't need one, and a pistol is what you should have. I beleive that rifles are offense, and pistols are defense. (When I say pistol I am talking the old way - it means a semi-auto or revolver)

I empited a 25 rd 22 lr clip on a small hog and she was done
    All good things are wild and free
    -Henry David Thoreau

Learn from the old and the wise