Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lets talk truck guns.

Default Lets talk truck guns.

I'm not saying there is such a thing, but hypothetically speaking, what would you consider as a truck carry gun.

In certain parts of the country, rifle rack in the back window is standard equipment.
    In other parts I sure it's regulated pretty well, as far as what you have on board.

I far as I know we are allowed to carry firearms as long as they are legally cased and not in reach of the people on board.

As vehicles do get broke into, stolen, burned up, my line of thinking is to carry something of low value to thieves, but may be valuable to you in a "away from home" situation".

This does not include any thing you happen to carry daily, on you, nor does it include anything you may be traveling with to from hunting, range or what ever.
    This also does not include a BOB carry, either, unless you carry a BOB in your vehicle all the time.

For a long time my ideal TG would be the H&R SS 12 ga, and a assortment of ammo.

I did up grade my thinking, when a short barreled Mossberg 12 ga showed up, and wanting to provide a little bit more range and clout, a SKS showed up, as well.

Add to that a .22 pistol for foraging and I think I'm covered.

So my question would have to be, what do y'all consider more important if you were to carry your idea TG.
    Foraging/varmint control?
    Self protection from wild animals (four legged and two)?

One ideal TG or more?
    Thoughts?

Added I relaize that this will vary from place to place, urban, wilderness and every thing between....so you might want to comment on why and general area.
    Last edited by hunter63; 05-02-2011 at 03:54 PM. Reason: added stuff.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Banned

Lever 30/30 !

I would never carrying anything that is just left in a vehicle. Nothing of value anyway. That glass isn't all that secure. It just keeps the honest folks out.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I would never carrying anything that is just left in a vehicle. Nothing of value anyway. That glass isn't all that secure. It just keeps the honest folks out.
    Over here in the Bluegrass we just take it for granted that there is a gun in every truck/car/van/Jr's Hotwheel. I think they give you one with your plates and title.

I used to do the shotgun logic thing for the truck, then I realized the one place where I would have the real chance of a long range shot would be in a serious situation on the interstate. About 90% of my driving is on the highway.

I would really hate to have to sit and watch some road raged fool go from car to car popping nonlocal people at random until one of the KY folk got a lucky shot at him or me having to wait until he was in .22 or shotgun range. Some places I can see for a couple of miles along the road. You never get a shot like that in the woods. The 91/30 has become my vehicle gun of late. Scoped with some hardball and a box of sp I am set for defense or hunting either one. $100 is about as cheap as a gun is going to come these days for something you don't have to take special care of.

My CCW goes in and out with me, but each vehicle has a backup pistol and extra ammo as well as the long gun, that stays in the vehicles.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 04-01-2011 at 04:33 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I've been rebuilding my arsenal this winter...currently I have a .223 lever action, a 12 ga sxs, and a 45 revolver in my main truck (rebuilding my fleet too)...

this way I can shoot road kill deer, gophers, bears or idiots that impede my travel...
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

I would go with the 30-30 lever
    Hope for the best but expect the worst and you will never be dissapointed

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DOGMAN View Post
    I've been rebuilding my arsenal this winter...currently I have a .223 lever action, a 12 ga sxs, and a 45 revolver in my main truck (rebuilding my fleet too)...

this way I can shoot road kill deer, gophers, bears or idiots that impede my travel...
    Doesn't the word "kill" in "road kill deer" imply that the animal is already dead and therefore shooting it is, lets say "over kill"?
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I'm with you on this one. Police are also begining to ask if you have any weapons when they stop you now and don't need the hassle. I also feel I can put more firepower on thier *** using my cell phone to call the police.

Single Shot 12 ga with a shell holder on the stock. Holds a variety of rounds, 2 #4, 2 00Buck, 2 Slug. Behind the seat not in the window so no mook is unduly tempted. Varied loadout gives good versatility and the firearm is cheap and sturdy.

I do not leave a truck gun in my truck for some of the reasons stated, and no use really. When I travel though, I will have a rifle with me. I usually bring my Ruger Mini 30 Ranch Rifle.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I used to have an old RG 38 that I kept in the glovebox about 20 years ago. Now I don't really see the point of a truck gun seeing as how I carry all the time anyways. Now if I did go back to carrying a truck gun it would have to be my 30/30.l
    Last edited by welderguy; 04-01-2011 at 07:00 PM.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post
    I'm with you on this one. Police are also begining to ask if you have any weapons when they stop you now and don't need the hassle. I also feel I can put more firepower on thier *** using my cell phone to call the police.
    What's your response time 100 miles from WhiteHorse anyway?

Are you one of those urban Alaskans?

Hard to believe us rural Kentuckians are better prepped than an Alaskan, urban or rural. I though you guys were the "Last Frontier".

That's the reason the cops ask about guns in Alaska, they expect the last frontiersmen to have guns!

You're letting your state down AS. I am very disapointed.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    What's your response time 100 miles from WhiteHorse anyway?

Are you one of those urban Alaskans?

Hard to believe us rural Kentuckians are better prepped than an Alaskan, urban or rural. I though you guys were the "Last Frontier".

That's the reason the cops ask about guns in Alaska, they expect the last frontiersmen to have guns!

You're letting your state down AS. I am very disapointed.

I just carry weapons when I think I will need them. I don't always carry in the woods either, it depends where I'm going. Guns are just a tool for me and honestly use my chainsaw more but don't carry it with me all the time either. The flip side of that is if I do have a gun you can bet I plan on using it.

Quote Originally Posted by KRatKiller
    I would really hate to have to sit and watch some road raged fool go from car to car popping nonlocal people at random until one of the KY folk got a lucky shot at him or me having to wait until he was in .22 or shotgun range. Some places I can see for a couple of miles along the road. You never get a shot like that in the woods.
    That happen quite a bit in Kentucky does it? (snort, giggle)
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

What is interesting to me, is simply that for as long as I can remember, MF carried a SS 12ga in the trunk of his car....Until I kinda took it over, and carried around in the trunk of my car like forever.
    No body even thought about it, was just what most every one did.

Now if you were to pull into a high school parking lot, with as firearm, you might go to jail.

Did I ever use it for anything other than hunting, no, but it was there just like the flashlight, tire iron, jack, shovel, ax, chain, come-a- along, several hand tools and a set of coveralls.
    No one called them selves a survivalist, prepper,.....Myself, I was just a high school kid that spent a lot of time kicking around in the brush, in between working ,going to school, and chasing girls.

I'm thinking the Nagant would be just the ticket for a low cost truck gun, little long, unless it's a M44 or M38, ...or the SKS.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

That's probably true for everyone here that's a bit older. I had an old shotgun in the trunk of my car. It went to school as often as I did. Probably learned more, too.

You'll have to lay the back seat down in the car if you want to put the Nagant in the trunk. You might have to fold down the front seat and roll down the passenger window, too.

We also have condensation issues in Alaska making a vehicle a poor choice for weapon storage.

Banned

I have both a .30 carbine and a lever .357 trapper take down in the truck when I go outbacking.......

I have a ishapore .308 cut "sporterized smle, it can do the job. The .308 is a good round in my opinion although I feel there are lots of good rounds. Heck I even have a old carcano hanging around here.

It's a shame that a kid can't take a gun to school these days, it shows how far our society has fallen. When I was a kid I took my dads 50-110 winchester in for show and tell, by myself there was no adult supervision except for the teacher.

I could see the usefullness of a 50 BMG mounted on a roll bar.