Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US: Walmart Loads Guns Back In To Stores

Banned

Default US: Walmart Loads Guns Back In To Stores

US: Walmart Loads Guns Back In To Stores

Walmart is quietly bringing back rifles, shotguns and ammunition to hundreds of US stores as the retail giant seeks to reinvigorate its one-stop shopping appeal and attract more male customers. The retailer stopped selling hunting rifles and bullets at all but a third of its US stores five years ago, citing diminishing sales.

However, according to a report by the Wall Street Journal, it is now restoring them to hundreds of locations, bringing the total to nearly half of its more than 3,600 stores, as part of a larger push to restore "heritage categories" of merchandise such as fishing rods and bolts of sewing fabric that it removed in its failed attempt to move upscale.

"We made a business decision to sell them in certain stores because we have realized the appeal was perhaps broader than we thought," said Walmart spokesman David Tovar. "But we are committed to doing it as responsibly as possible, as always, in compliance with all applicable local, state and federal laws."

NamNews - Thursday 28th April 2011

http://www.kamcity.com/namnews/asp/n...p?newsid=59412

The guns came back to my local store about a month ago. They didn't get their rifle-selling permit until 2 weeks ago.
    That Marlin 336w seems to call to me whenever I walk by.

Banned

Nice Rifle ! I would love to have one of those

I noticed some at a store in western Wisconsin last week.......hadn't been there for a while.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

They have been selling fire arms here for years. No hand guns though.
    A mouse ate a hole in my lumpy chair.

Yeah, all the stores in Utah must have been part of the third that never stopped.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Well for clothing Wal-Mart is the pits in Men's clothing. All I buy in Men's clothing is the bare basics. For Men's clothing they suck. Good to hear that they might be bringing back Cloth and such too.

JMO but Wal-Mart has been making bad decision after bad decision ever since Sam Walton died. The things that made Wal-Mart "America's favorite store" were slowly done away with, little by little after He passed away.
    Because a survival situation carries an aura of timelessness, a survivor cannot allow himself to be overcome by it's duration or quality. A survivor accepts the situation as it is and improves it from that standpoint. Prologue from Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen

Like what? what bad decisions have they made in your eyes?

Quote Originally Posted by kkbmtgg View Post
    Like what? what bad decisions have they made in your eyes?
    Did away with the Lay-away for starters.Moved to higher cost electronics. Moved away from some of their standard merchandise that they carried since almost it's inception as is mentioned in this thread. I've started shopping less and less at Wal-Mart, since Mr. Walton passed away. I knew a Loss prevention guy who had actually met Mr. Walton. Mr. Sam Walton was a down to Earth guy, who kept in touch with every day people. Thus he had an idea of what was what, with the customers needs and desires. Even though he had "Money" he was always Down to Earth. This is IMO the TRUE secret of Wal-Mart's success. Now that it is run by "Upscale folks" they've lost "their touch". Ever go into the Men's clothing in Wal-Mart?

JMO But Wal-Marts Buyers have little idea of the "Common folk" that made Wal-Mart so popular to begin with. Just like Politicians they have lost touch with their "Base". Yeah I used to look at higher Dollar items in Wal-mart, like Electronics, furniture, and Guns. When Lay-away was removed from the stores, I quit looking at those items. I don't have, nor do I want a Credit Card. Without that These High Dollar items are out of the "Common folks" Reach. Now that the economy is in the tank, It just makes it worse. Another thing that Wal-Mart USED to do, was hang banners saying "We helped create or save American Jobs", It felt Patriotic to shop Wal-Mart then.

I heard on the radio this morning that unemployment in my state is the worst it's been in 25 years. That means even LESS shopping at Wally World....Now I shop Pawn Shops instead for the things that interest men.
    Because a survival situation carries an aura of timelessness, a survivor cannot allow himself to be overcome by it's duration or quality. A survivor accepts the situation as it is and improves it from that standpoint. Prologue from Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen

Quote Originally Posted by Pocomoonskyeyes3 View Post
    Did away with the Lay-away for starters.Moved to higher cost electronics. Moved away from some of their standard merchandise that they carried since almost it's inception as is mentioned in this thread. I've started shopping less and less at Wal-Mart, since Mr. Walton passed away. I knew a Loss prevention guy who had actually met Mr. Walton. Mr. Sam Walton was a down to Earth guy, who kept in touch with every day people. Thus he had an idea of what was what, with the customers needs and desires. Even though he had "Money" he was always Down to Earth. This is IMO the TRUE secret of Wal-Mart's success. Now that it is run by "Upscale folks" they've lost "their touch". Ever go into the Men's clothing in Wal-Mart?

JMO But Wal-Marts Buyers have little idea of the "Common folk" that made Wal-Mart so popular to begin with. Just like Politicians they have lost touch with their "Base". Yeah I used to look at higher Dollar items in Wal-mart, like Electronics, furniture, and Guns. When Lay-away was removed from the stores, I quit looking at those items. I don't have, nor do I want a Credit Card. Without that These High Dollar items are out of the "Common folks" Reach. Now that the economy is in the tank, It just makes it worse. Another thing that Wal-Mart USED to do, was hang banners saying "We helped create or save American Jobs", It felt Patriotic to shop Wal-Mart then.

I heard on the radio this morning that unemployment in my state is the worst it's been in 25 years. That means even LESS shopping at Wally World....Now I shop Pawn Shops instead for the things that interest men.

OK Poco, thats cool, just askin. I may not agree with some of your points but I understand a appreciate your point of view sir, thanks.

Banned

When Sam was around,, Wasn't everything American Made ? I seem to remember years ago that is what they advertised ...

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    When Sam was around,, Wasn't everything American Made ? I seem to remember years ago that is what they advertised ...
    No, but they did try....if they could get the pricing.
    They sold a product we made (back in a previous life) but our cost/price was double the imported, so they wouldn't even consider our product.
    They could be nice guys, as long as they could control the price.

I don't know if anyone remembers an ad a number of years back, talking about "saving" a plant the made fishing reels, and they did, kept them working.....BUT they basicaly said, "We will pay you so much each, so give us this price" (We made the steel fishing line that went on the bigger reels).
    Last edited by hunter63; 04-29-2011 at 06:10 PM. Reason: splin'
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Otaku/ survivalist wannab ravenscar's Avatar

the walmart in town never stoped selling guns, far i i know. they did do away with all the fishin gear for a few months though, dont know why
    It bothers me how someone with new shoes can come up to me asking for money.

They never stopped around here either.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

All the guns here left a few years ago. Some of the stores in Central and Western MA still sell ammo in limited quantities. Not like they used to before one store was caught selling ammunition without checking for an FID card (the story goes the buyer was a LEO but they are still supposed to check). You can buy it IF you can find the dude with the keys and IF he knows how to run the cash register. They have to have the "Special Training" to handle the ammo sales.

Hunting, fishing, automotive and Hardware are waaay down back too. PITA.

I do like their garden center prices though. And that has its own door and registers.

I doubt we'll see long guns come back here. With other places like Dicks and Bass Pro and quite a few small gun shops <and the anti-gun mentality of this state> I don't think they'd have the sales. They'll never sell handguns.

Our Wal-Mart here sells handguns by special order.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Blog Entries

I love Alaska. Walk in fill out the paper work, hand over the money and walk out with your rifle, shotgun or handgun!
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Pretty much how it is in Indiana, too.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

In Delaware for handguns:
    5 minute call back for Fed check
    30 minute call back for state check

Quote Originally Posted by klkak View Post
    I love Alaska. Walk in fill out the paper work, hand over the money and walk out with your rifle, shotgun or handgun!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Pretty much how it is in Indiana, too.
    Same here.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel