Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you do?

Blog Entries

Default What do you do?

Here is a real scenario not role play.
    A series of terrorist attacks in cojunction with several small nukes that take out Chicago, New York, Atlanta, L.A., Denver, Miami, Washington D.C. and several military bases has hit. Other countries around the world have the same problem, but the whole Wolf-Pack has survived as well as others, the internet, limited electricity, all utilites are gone, there is no Law enforcement or military to protect you, Local and State Government is breaking up as things get worse. Fall out from the small nukes is limited but a greyness covers the sky.
    What are you going to do? What new threats do you see as lurking on the horizon?
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Damn, well I guess I got'ta park the D-8 so as to block the driveway. I'm done...go back to read my book. That was easy. The biggest problem would be: do I go snowshoeing this afternoon or crosscountry sking. And just what to thaw for dinner, Moose steak, or Dall sheep tenderloin.

Blog Entries

I head into the basement to check on supplies of canned and boxed food, feed the dog, if supplies look low go steal what i need and then check on mom and pops.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

For now ,stay put,I still have electricity,and there is a well on the next property that I can use for water,if the electricity goes out though,gonna have to head somewhere else,should have put a fireplace in and to heck with the insurance company.

Saddle the horses pack the wagon and go to the cabin were the wife and kids feel comfortable for a few days untill the SBO hopefully.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

NOTHING, already done all I can do without leaving home, but ready to do that if necessary but in these hills I doubt it.

OLE WV COOT... You've got some beutiful stompin grounds up there, I bear hunt up there and you're right. got to be half whistle pig and rattle snake to keep up with them hillbilys when they break camp, Lots of respect for the guys I know in you're state..

Hopeak - Put on two sheep tenderloin. I'm on my way. I'll be there by the time supper is ready.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

as always i'll take a nap then maybe make some spag sauce maybe use the deer ground meat this time, go snowshoeing with the dog jump on line see if any one else made it.

Honestly, I remember as a kid that we couldn't eat the snow because it was supposed to be radioactive from the tests out west and in the Pacific. Of course, being a kid, that didn't stop me. I'd sure catch he** if I got caught doing it, though.

I wouldn't do anything different. Hunker down and be happy.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I've prepared as well as I can. Plenty of food, water, fuel, medicine. Stay put, check on some neighbors. Keep alert. Prepare for the worst - hope for the best.

I would stay put. Plenty of water, food and medicine. Plenty of wood if bombings happened in winter. I don't think I would have to worry about elect. unless the bombs went off in mid-air. In the aftermath fear and panic among the people would set in and would demand blood and war from the government. FEMA and Homeland Security would go nuts.

Not go to work so that is a plus. Maybe go ice fishing catch a mess of blue gills for dinner. Take the fourwheeler for a ride see whats everyone is up to.

non-senior senior member Assassin Pilot's Avatar

Since I already have a good supply of food and the essentials, I would go buy an assault rifle and a supply of ammo. If there's no government, it's every man for himself. Anyone with a gun is in charge. And I would prob buy a bulletproof vest. Basically I would rob the police depo.
    "He who throws dirt is losing ground"

Voyageur enseignant

Beo ... Great exercise! These are all valid possibilities you've mentioned, and so it's all the more essential that we stay focused on the need to be prepared. I'd also like to "hope for the best, prepare for the worst". It's really worth considering the possibility (quite real) that there would BE no Internet and/or telephones ... does anyone have any real suggestions for alternate communications amongst the Pack? A pre-determined Rendezvous location? All quite valid to answer now, before too late. Just my .02 cents. NorthWind

Voyageur enseignant

Of course ... in case any of these things become reality, it's also quite possible that we'd all be saying "Adios" for good, and would need to have a local (family and carefully selected group of friends ... ) "Bug-In" group to fall back upon. I also read the article about the very real possibility of forming semi-autonomous small communities that would take over responsibility for security, agriculture and medical needs. Good to ponder. NorthWind

non-senior senior member Assassin Pilot's Avatar

Maybe if we have a rendezvous point somewhere in the middle of North America (Canada/USA) we could form our own super-tribe of people who could easily survive. As soon as the terrorists start attacking the major cities we would be prepared

Or we just split up completely and await the return of the internet
    "He who throws dirt is losing ground"

at that point that's called culture, not survival
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Having spent about a century and a half with the phone company, I can give you some info on that part of communication. OleWVCoot can chime in as well if he wants.

Most larger offices have a back up generator and 300-500 gallons of fuel on site. They also have a DC battery vault that would support communications once the fuel ran out. So a week, 10 days, maybe two weeks, tops to have infrastructure available, unmanned, assuming nothing breaks down. That would depend on how much fuel the office had and what the traffic load would be.

Small offices in rural areas only have battery banks so once the power goes out about 24 hours +/-. We always hauled a mobile generator to the site but if there's no one to haul it......

The problem on a smaller scale disaster is that there is not enough equipment installed to handle 100% of the calls. I'm sure all of you have been in a snow storm at one time or another and tried to use the phone and did not have dial tone on pickup. If everyone tries to use the phone at once then there simply isn't enough equipment to handle the volume. That's part of the design (80% capacity if I remember correctly) and is more than sufficient for day in, day out traffic. But it is not designed to handle emergencies.

That's all presuming normal day time temperatures. Once power is lost the cooling system shuts down and if it's hot the equipment would begin to cook in short order.

To answer NorthWindTrail's question, radio, such as short wave, if there is no EMP disruption.
    Last edited by Rick; 01-28-2008 at 10:15 AM.

Blog Entries

Great answers, thanks NWtrails, buuuuuuuut I said. "the internet, limited electricity, all utilites are gone, there is no Law enforcement or military to protect you, Local and State Government is breaking up as things get worse. This being said what I meant is there is no internet, limited electricity, no utilities, no Law enforcement or military to protect you, and local and state government is breaking up AS things get worse.
    So now what do you do?