Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: meat prices,raising your own

Default meat prices,raising your own

has anybody noticed the prices of meat in general lately?i am disabled and get a small check so any jump in meat prices hurts and everything is going up it seems almost weekly.i am thinking of getting some goats,chickens,and maybe eventually some cows.atleast a little at a time.and maybe a pig or two,i really like pork.it is going to get to the point i believe that there could be riots if this trend keeps going on,i even see people trying to raise chickens in there apartments just to have eggs and a little meat.i will eat a goat in a heartbeat,its okay but not the best meat.shoot hamburger is already over 2dollars a pound and the way everything else as well keeps going up you will have to become more self sufficient

Banned

I seem to find good sales at the market,, The other day they had London Broil buy one get one free,,,, sometimes they have prime steak (NY, Rib Eye) for around 3 bucks a lb,, at those prices a 2 dollar steak is pretty big !

Just become a vegetarian and you won't have to worry about raising meat prices. Being healthier and feeling better is just one of the side effects. More money in your wallet, is another.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Just become a vegetarian and you won't have to worry about raising meat prices. Being healthier and feeling better is just one of the side effects. More money in your wallet, is another.
    Blasphemy.......

To each his own.
    I do find it perplexing however, that people would choose to continue to struggle with rising prices (in you name it) when there's a choice. Seems like it takes a serious SHTF for people to adapt and do without.
    Me, if I can't afford something, I move on to what I can afford. The only time there's no choice is when you're dead.

Banned

I mostly eat wild game meats... lots of venison, wabbit, smoked wild boar, pheasent, quail, fish (trout mostly) and duck. The little bit of beef and chicken I use I trade services of gunsmithing or rustic furniture for.

I raise and eat chickens and rabbits. Now and then shoot a wild hog and am allowed 4 deer on my licence. Still like some beef now and then though. Yes prices are always going up so as has been said before," do what ya gotta do."

Oldtrap
    Never claimed to be an expert. Just use or do what works for me.

Banned

You think MEAT is high now.......

.....Just wait til the USA Dollar is degraded from being the World Fund, almost all countries use the USA Dollar as the base for their money. When we degrade to where like the Euro, Yen or ???? becomes the worlds fund....just wait til you see the prices on EVERYTHING, especially meat, produce and grains. I am suspecting that will either happen this year or next year in first week of Oct. Oct is when we get rated unless an emergency rating happens before that. The WMF (World Monetary Fund) has said it will degrade the USA when and if we go from AAA Rating to an A rating due to debt to GDP ratio. They said that will happen if we raise our debt cieling above what it is right now. That is the amount WE are ALLOWED to spend, based on our GDP and what our congress and senate set. It is a lil more involved than that, but you get what I mean.

Think about that... we get degraded and then our money becomes worthless to the world. The only form of money that will be working for you is gold, silver and other precious metals or barter goods of like coffee, tobacco, booze, ammo, guns, batteries, water filtration systems, staple foods, sugar etc... but SILVER will be the main way we buy and sell things. Right now it is cheap at $30 per oz or so, when this all happens it will be worth about $1500 an oz, gold will be through the roof, totally not affordable to the comman person or fam.

If you have paper money, it will be worthless, it will go from a now worth of $0.58 cents per $1.00 when this happens it will degrade from that to a -$0.14 cents per $1.00 that is Minus 14 cents.....

It is why we prep, well, one of the reasons anyways..... when that happens, even wild game will become scarce much less processed meat, grains and produce because everyuone and their grand mother will be hunting for food, license or no license......poaching will be the norm, not the exception. Stealing produce and grain from fields will be the norm as well. I know, you say you will never break the law, but when your fam is hungry, a man or women will go to extremes to take care of their fam.

If you currently have an income, I suggest buying at least 1 roll of SILVER dimes each payday. If you can afford more, then grab more. The more you grab now is your hedge against inflation in general, not just when the WMF degrades us but overall inflation. Also start buying canned meats, like bacon, beef, pork and chicken, even if it is just 6 cans a pay. Buy them in DIMES to you can negotiate prices better, if you buy quarters, halfs or dollars, that is exact what you will be paying because people will see that is all you have. With dimes you an increment the batering.

I know.... shut up...this is never going to happen.....Ok I am SHUP now...

YEP,Due to Rising Fuel Prices The Cost of Everything Goses Up .I work as a Meat Cutter for a living and Watched how the Prices Went up and Also How the Trucks We Recive Went from 3 Pallets on Sunday to 5 and Tuesday's Truck Stayed the Same and Fridays Truck Went from 5 Pallets to 7 to 8 .So I Get hit in the Pocket Paying the Same Prices everyone else Doese and Also Feel the Pain In My Back (Each Pallet Weighs In at 500 Pices and up to 2500 Lbs Per.) I'm the Guy Who Also Informs People Of Upcomming Sale We Will Be Having.

Like alot of you guys, I raise or hunt almost all the meat/eggs my family consumes....but in so
    doing I might touch on the cost of feed/seed...also cost inflated, the result of higher fuel cost.
    So gardening, processing and storage must be factored in to raise farm critter...It All has to
    come together, otherwise, you may end-up paying MORE than if'n you did nothing at all...BH51.

You hit the nail on the head, Skinner. What we're seeing is all related to petroleum. Of course it's not everything, just items related to transportation or fuel. Once crude goes back down so will food prices.

@ thunderson - Instead of investing your money in animals why not invest in a pressure cooker and buy cheaper cuts of meat? Wouldn't that be more economical?

Griz - You're off your meds again aren't you? Sad....really sad.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

My paper dollar buys a dollars worth of stuff,, so as far as I am concerned a dollar is worth a dollar

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Griz - You're off your meds again aren't you? Sad....really sad.
    Dang Rick,,,,, this sounds kinda mean,, I hope you are joking,,, LOTS of people think the exact same thing as Griz posted,,

Banned

Well, Its a glorious day here in Southern California,, 85 degrees,, going to BBQ,, found NY Bone in steak for 3.29 lb,, Hand Picked,, these 3 were 11 dollars,,,,

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Side note,,,, Rib eyes were 10.99 lb,,, Ya gotta get those sales

Quote Originally Posted by Justin
    Dang Rick,,,,, this sounds kinda mean,, I hope you are joking,,, LOTS of people think the exact same thing as Griz posted,
    Of course I'm joking. I would never insult anyone that way no matter how deserving they might be of it. How come no one comes to my rescue when I get hammered? (walks off kicking chat and mumbling).
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

Of course I'm joking. I would never insult anyone that way no matter how deserving they might be of it. How come no one comes to my rescue when I get hammered? (walks off kicking chat and mumbling).
    Whew,,,, I was worried for a min,,, lol

just exactly when does the man with the ban hammer get hammered?

I never get drunk but thanks for asking.

Banned

Not at all off my meds Rick.... I feel those that do not understand todays issues are the ones that are off their meds. It honestly does not matter if he means it or not, I have broad shoulders and am OK with it as I know what I know.

Not at all, an open discussion is open and all have the right to feel how they feel. Hoping it is better than that and Knowing it is not are way two different things. Facts are facts even if you look at them with rose colored glasses. Social Security/Medicare and States Medicaid are at 32 TRILLION in the hole, we now are at 14 trillion (our GDP is only at 13.5 trillion) in debt, we now owe more than we (The USA as a whole) can make in a year, we are running a 2 trillion deficit and it is only April.

Whoever can hide their head in the sand, thats ok.....there are enough in the nation that knows what is going on and are prepped for it. Those that are not, are not, those that are, are, it is as simple as that.

Scott, NO, really, a dollar is NOT a dollar.... a dollar is only worth what it can be BOUGHT for and right now, that is $0.57 cents on the dollar. Japan and China are now asking for payback at a under inflated switch to metals.....industry metals as well as precious metals. They do NOT want our cash. So that means your dollar will only buy about 1/2 it did before. You may save on meat with coupons and sales, but you are smacked elsewhere to make up for it.......
    Last edited by OhioGrizzLapp; 04-01-2011 at 10:05 PM.