View Poll Results: "DAL" IS the single most important factor....???

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • I Strongly agree that "DAL" is the most important factor

5 38.46%
  • I Feel "DAL" is irrelevalt (Whatever that means)...?

8 61.54%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "DAL" is the most important factor.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    The whole thing about luck is moot.
    It's like saying, I'd rather be lucky in Vegas than smart in every day life.
    If you can't do anything about it (luck, that is) why spend even 5 min. thinking about it?
    Unless of course, you subscribe to the saying (as I do)...the harder you work, the luckier you get.
    Bingo!!!!!!
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

While I don't feel that DAL is the most important factor, it most assuredly is a factor and an important one. If given the choice between being lucky or good, I will pick lucky every time. Why? you might ask......Because no matter how good you are, you aren't perfect and no matter how bad you are, if you are lucky it will always fall in your favor.
    I know what hunts you.

Quote Originally Posted by SARKY View Post
    While I don't feel that DAL is the most important factor, it most assuredly is a factor and an important one. If given the choice between being lucky or good, I will pick lucky every time. Why? you might ask......Because no matter how good you are, you aren't perfect and no matter how bad you are, if you are lucky it will always fall in your favor.
    No one is ever given that choice.
    Don't quite understand this preoccupation with luck.

Did Aliens Land?
    I like escalators, because an escalator can never break; it can only become stairs. You would never see an "escalator temporarily out of order" sign, just "Escalator temporarily stairs... sorry for the convenience. We apologize for the fact that you can still get up there."

Mitch Hedberg

So, what is DAL?
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Dumb Arsed Luck
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Ahh, luck. Hard to prepare for luck, good or bad.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Banned

Luck, is only for those that have their Feces Cohesive and luck always favors the prepped....if you got it, you got it, if not, then your are shyte out of it.

Even losers win the lottery and even the stupid survive plane crashes.

Banned

Yeah and they spend it all on booze, drugs and loose women.....and after the crash, they walk off a cliff at night LOL

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Daily allotment of liquor.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    Daily allotment of liquor.
    Damn, Lady it did not take long for you to grasp the essence of being an Alaskan.

I figure that I owe my very existence to NOTHING more than dumb arse luck. It’s taught me to take nothing for granted.

There should be a third poll choice. DAL is certainly not the most important factor, but is sadly not irrelevant.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    The whole thing about luck is moot.
    It's like saying, I'd rather be lucky in Vegas than smart in every day life.
    If you can't do anything about it (luck, that is) why spend even 5 min. thinking about it?
    Unless of course, you subscribe to the saying (as I do)...the harder you work, the luckier you get.
    I have a weird little story to share about this. Ever since I moved up here 7 years ago, I have had this "thing" I call my Alaska Karma. It's just odd little pieces of luck that tend to save my hiney occassionally. I've never been what I consider a lucky person, just a normal gal. But since moving here, some chips have just tended to fall in my favor that wouldn't have previously. Like finding a flat tire that needed replacing (cut by gravel) immediatly after getting hired by a doula client (which requires they pay a $250 deposit)after a long dry spell. When there was absolutly no money in my budget for a new tire and all of a sudden, there it was. Add to that, I came in from finding the flat tire to see a commercial for a local tire sale. Like moving into a dry cabin and cutting my rent by half, one month before loosing my job of 6 years unexpectedly. From little things to big things, I have found myself very "lucky" since moving here. I have spent a bit of time thinking on this and have come to the conclusion that it is not really luck, but two things. First, I am working much harder now to be independant. Before I had a husband, friends and family to fall back on, to help in emergencies, to take up the slack, etc. If you have those safety nets, you tend to use them. Second, I spend much more time contemplating my good fortune. Before, I would not have recognized my good fortune in moving to a cabin but would have only thought on my bad fortune of loosing my job. While it was devestating, I had after all planned on retiring from that job, I also was able to recognize that "someone" was looking out for me. So while I call it luck, and there is certainly some element of pure dumb luck in it, it is also working harder and planning better on my part. This is the combination I call my Alaska Karma.
    Last edited by 1stimestar; 03-31-2011 at 01:18 PM.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Luck vs Skill...its a game of numbers really. You can get pretty far in Wilderness Adventure getting by on luck...you can keep rolling the dice, and keep coming up alive, but eventually the numbers are going to get you- the repeated exposure to risk is going to at some point demand you have skill, not just DAL.

In extreme kayaking, we use a two jar analogy for people just entering the Class V realm...

Every paddler starting to paddle Class V has 2 jars:

The Jar of Luck, and The Jar of Experience...

At the start the Jar of Luck is full, whereas the Jar of Experience is empty.

With every hard rapid run, some experience is added to the Jar of Experience.

Every time the Jar of Luck is being used in order to get through a Class V rapid, a bit of luck is taken out of this jar.

At some moment in time the Jar of Luck will get nearly empty, and then the paddler needs to start relying solely upon the experience that has been collected over the years in The Jar of Experience.

If the paddler cant learn to rely on his experience and skill only...eventually his luck will run out.

Same goes in the realm of "survival" DAL can get you pretty far, but relying on it time and time again will eventually lead to grave consequences.
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

Seems my life has been a balance of good luck vs bad luck , so I understand what your saying, 1stimestar, and it seems to balance out, hopefully on the over 50% range.

I do believe that you can tip that balance with hard work, and just plain fortuide.
    But bad stuff happens to good people, and good stuff happens bad people......?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Banned
    Blog Entries

Good Luck or Bad Luck, Kind'a depends on where you were standing, (inside or outside). http://www.businessinsider.com/lakel...ollapse-2011-3

So much of Luck is PERCEPTION...its your own take on the events and situation...
    Reminds me of the Old Taoist parable of the Lucky Farmer

There once was a farmer who used an old horse to till his fields. One day, the horse escaped into the hills and when the farmer's neighbors sympathized with the old man over his bad luck, the farmer replied, "Bad luck? Good luck? Who knows?" A week later, the horse returned with a herd of horses from the hills and this time the neighbors congratulated the farmer on his good luck. His reply was, "Good luck? Bad luck? Who knows?"

Then, just before harvest season, when the farmer's son was attempting to tame one of the wild horses, he fell off its back and broke his leg and would not be able to help put away the families crops. Everyone thought this very bad luck. Not the farmer, whose only reaction was, "Bad luck? Good luck? Who knows?"

Some weeks later, the army marched into the village and conscripted every able-bodied youth they found there. When they saw the farmer's son with his broken leg, they let him off. The entire batallion he would've joined was then killed in a battle. "Bad luck? Good luck? Who knows?"

Sometimes, you can't determine if something is "Good Luck or Bad Luck" until a bit of time goes by....kind of like the "Curse of Winning the Lottery"
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

Rodger that, Dogman.
    Luck is what you make it, just don't depend on it.........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27