View Poll Results: "DAL" IS the single most important factor....???

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • I Strongly agree that "DAL" is the most important factor

5 38.46%
  • I Feel "DAL" is irrelevalt (Whatever that means)...?

8 61.54%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "DAL" is the most important factor.

This is funny. I knew what it stood for the moment I read it. Or at least that's the first thing that came to mind. How many times have I said, "Luck trumps skill every time". There are a lot of folks that don't buy into that but I'd rather be lucky than the best outdoorsman when the chips are down. Blue tarp Amy is about the best example you can dream up.

Anyone on here ever have a car wreck while not wearing a seatbelt and found yourself out on the pavement after being thrown from the car? Still alive? You are one DAL son of a gun. Let me rub your head. I need that kind of luck.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

LOL I cannot drive a car unless I am buckled in, feel something is missing or wrong if I do not buckle....

I still believe that for the most part, you make your own "luck"....by just doing the right thing at the right time and being prepped to realize when a "LUCK" moment is there.

I wonder if for those that believe in "LUCK," is there a balance in good luck and bad luck?

Does it actually come in 3's?

Does any superstition up the luck annty.... like salt over the shoulder, finding a 4 leaf clover (which BTW you can find fields of them near the Perry Nuke Plant here in Ohio)... was even a show documenting them about 7 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    This is funny. I knew what it stood for the moment I read it. Or at least that's the first thing that came to mind. How many times have I said, "Luck trumps skill every time". There are a lot of folks that don't buy into that but I'd rather be lucky than the best outdoorsman when the chips are down. Blue tarp Amy is about the best example you can dream up.

Anyone on here ever have a car wreck while not wearing a seatbelt and found yourself out on the pavement after being thrown from the car? Still alive? You are one DAL son of a gun. Let me rub your head. I need that kind of luck.

But, if your talking repeated exposure to risks...skill and preperation trumps luck eventually. I have known alot of Class V paddlers that relied on luck...they always end up running out of luck at the wrong time....a few I have known lost their lives because of it.
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

I hope one day that my good luck equals my bad. I'll be rich.. Hahaha
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

I survived as a QRF (Quick Reactionary Force) Leader on the DMZ in Korea. A Team Leader in VietNam. And in the Middle East as recent as a few months ago coming home finally. Not as a "visitor" or "tourist" or "bystander." Luck is what occurs when whatever you do and plan for doesn't happen and you find yourself with you and your maker. Sometimes it's a moment, other times its a chapter of your life.

If there is "good" luck then there is also "bad" luck. I once picked up a gun I needed to be loaded and it was - GOOD LUCK for me. The guy on the other end of that gun had "bad" luck.

I believe in luck however you call it - good and bad. I should have been killed many times over, but I'm still alive. LUCK (and some knowledge) go a long way.
    DE OPPRESSOR LIBER
    Korea DMZ 65-66, VietNam 66-69, Middle East 2010-11
    www.skiphall.com

BTW Skip, 5th Special Forces Group is having its 50th Anniv. Reunion at Ft. Campbell Sept.19th thru the 24th. Why don't you attend to see all of your old 'buddies'. We'd love to see you and listen to all of your wonderfull war stories. What was your RVN's Teams designation again? And what Command and Control area were you assigned? Funny, in the log book of all SF MACSOG team members someone forgot to put your name in...funny, how could you let that happen as SF is really a amall community.