Thread: Save those straps, buckles, snaps, etc.

Default Save those straps, buckles, snaps, etc.

I have made a habit before discarding old things to cut all the straps and buckles off for later use.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I’ve never been satisfied with the fit of factory load bearing equipment that either did not fit me or the gear I carry and now all my gear is now a composite of pouches that fit my gear assembled to fit me through the use of my collection of old straps and fittings. This kit is made from a MOLLE pouch, 2 Uncle Mikes pouches and belt, a couple of old cheap rifle slings and misc. fitting I have gathered.

The “Y” suspension was made with a “D” ring.

I use ALICE clips to fasten to belt.

Cinch buckles hold pouches or other gear in place on belt.

I’ve also made some load bearing suspenders from soft straps that support my gun belt. It can get heavy with a big bore handgun, extra ammo, canteen, hatchet or big knife.

I have developed a system of straps and buckles to assemble my pack board with a variety of kits that can be changed out in less than a minute.

My 4 season kit uses 60’s era British web gear suspension attached with S-bineers to a variety of MOLLE pouches.

I have also made suspension using a small MOLLE pack that I use to carry extra climbing gear when needed.

I also have a shoulder strap I made that can be snapped to just about anything and thrown over my shoulder.

This assortment of fittings and straps has given me more than just a perfect fitting kit. Being able to reconfigure on the trail means I can adjust it to carry things I find along the way and adjust due to muscle ache or injury. It has become a major component of my mobile base camp concept and all gear is packed in such a way that I can assemble a kit for a specific purpose or terrain in about a minute. I’m always asked where did you get that? A little here and little there and put it together using salvaged fittings. They can be purchased and not expensive but a bit hard to find in stores. The possibilities are only limited by your creativity and well worth the time it takes to cut the fittings off old things before they are thrown away.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 07-06-2011 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Restored Post

Banned

Nice !!

Funny you should bring this up, I just spent an evening going thru my "collection" and came up a couple of adjusters short on a cobbled together sling I made up the othet evening.
    Visit to the craft store also came up short as well.

I have saved and reused every fitting from every strap, bag, belt since I can remember...and they go fast.
    Lot of gear needs the personal touch.....

Saw grab bag of fasterners and buckles that Sportsman Guide had awhile back, haven't seen it lately....should have bought one.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

This really is an excellent post, AS. I've always been a scavenger and usually piece out everything as well. I'll even hang on to a pack thats' been ripped thinking I can use it as patch material. Thinking out of the box and seeing new ways to use old things in an excellent survival skill that carries over to a lot more than just packs. A+
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I'm a terrible outfit when it comes to keeping parts and pieces like that. I recently made a sling for a little rifle from a old rein, bridle buckle and a brass sling button. It's nice to have a variety to pick through and use on experimental gear. I found a roll of seat belt material hanging in the barn. it seems like some tough belting, blue in colour but if used a dyeing would be in order. The seat belt material seems tougher than other belt material I've handled although it is a bit wider.

Yep, you can never have too many straps and buckles, nice looking pieces of kit AS.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Tried to give some rep. I'm always saving bits and pieces, and trying, rather feebly, to make new pouches and stuff from them. Are you sewing your stuff back together by hand?

YKK zippers are always worth saving, if you know how to sew them back on. It's a skill I need to get better at.

I do some sewing but these are ready made pouchs. My next project I will be trying to assemble is a "A" frame pack like one of these.

http://www.mp44.nl/equipment/a_frame.htm

Blog Entries

Ok. Wasn't sure if you were sewing some of the straps onto the pouches. I'm wanting to add some pouches with extra molle attachments... like a pouch you can add a pouch to. Can't wait to see your next project. Lots of pics and make sure you show your tools for putting it together. I have lots of sinew, but not sure about different thread types for durability and such. I gotta invest in one of those hand-punch sewing things.
    Thanks AS

AS, I would be intrested to see the sewing tools as well.

ycc, I use imitation sinew, looks good on "primitive" easy to work with, and if you want a thinner thread, you can split it up (separate).

Waxed cotton thread also works well, colored different colors, easy to work with.
    Both can be had from any hobby shop or ordered for Track of the Wolf and other mountain man stores.

I found some long upholstery needles, at the fabric store, one even 10" long, but they are round, not 3 sided.
    Would work well on webbing.

I like long needles so you can grab them in your hand, when the leather is thick.
    But I like the 3 sided needles for leather as the form a "X" (3 sided), rather than round, so will pull back in the hole when tightened up

The speedy stitcher is pretty neat, I have one for leatherworking and such, but it could be used for any heavy material. I beleive they are failry inexpensive and MAde in the USA too, IIRC.

http://youtu.be/K81w0PHU-Oo

Blog Entries

Thanks for that link. I'm gonna invest in one of those to go in the kit. Will check at the hobby store next time I go to the big city for bee class.

One of my favorites are draw strings. I have upgraded many of my stuff sacks and clothing with these. I use heavy OD green cord. In cold weather I can use these without having to remove gloves and even use them for ski boot laces. Fast and easy.

Quote Originally Posted by rwc1969 View Post
    The speedy stitcher is pretty neat, I have one for leatherworking and such, but it could be used for any heavy material. I beleive they are failry inexpensive and MAde in the USA too, IIRC.

http://youtu.be/K81w0PHU-Oo
    I have a couple of those as well, work good.

I like to carry a long 6" needle as it packs well, just be careful of the point.

hunter-gatherer Canadian-guerilla's Avatar

when walking around on garbage day,
    i can't walk by a discarded knapsack / dufflebag without cutting off the molle, buckles, etc

someday i'm gonna get ambitious and try to make something like these

both of these are LowePro
    i already have 5 LowePro small pouches

Knowledge without experience is just information

there are two types of wild food enthusiasts,
    one picks for enjoyment of adding something to a meal,
    and the second is the person who lives mostly on ( wild ) edibles

Lydia