1/4 cup soy sauce
    1/4 cup honey
    1/4 cup maple syrup
    6 tablespoons lemon juice
    1/4 cup pickled jalapeno peppers, minced
    2 tablespoons garlic, minced
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon pepper
    Rub salt into meat. Make marinade, add meat and place in glass container in fridge overnight. Dehydrate for 8 hours - don't overcook.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Blog Entries

Dehydrated Sliced Potatoes (Dried)

This is a recipe I came up with when I had an excess of potatoes. These are sooooooo much cheaper than buying premade mixes. It takes a bit of effort, but it's worth it! Something I also like is the fact that it doesn't have the sulfites that some products include. I don't bother peeling the potatoes before I make these, but then again I don't normally ever peel potatoes...I cook them with the skins on. You could do either. I used a corkscrew slicer (looks like a screw with a piece of metal attached) because that's what I had. It created a hole in the middle, which I wasn't sure I liked, but it probably helped the potatoes dry faster in the long run. If you use the corkscrew slicer, the potatoes will come out looking kind of like a big slinky. Set the potato on it's end and cut through all the slices...it will separate them into individual slices. If desired, you could use a mandoline, but I think I like the corkscrew slicer better due to decreased drying time. Drying time not included in recipe, as it will vary from model to model.
    5 lbs potatoes, scrubbed clean (peeled, if desired) water.
    Put a large pot (12 quart?) of water on to boil. A water bath canner works well, or you could do smaller batches in a smaller pot. In my book, it's quicker and much easier to use a large pot.
    Have a sinkful of cold water ready.
    Slice potatoes using either a corkscrew slicer or a mandoline.
    Rinse potatoes with cold water, making sure all slices are separated from each other.
    Gently put the potatoes in boiling water (don't get burnt!) and stir well to make sure potatoes are separated.
    Let cook 3 minutes.
    Drain potatoes and plunge them into the cold water to stop the cooking; stir to make sure they are cooled.
    Dehydrate according to your dehydrator's directions/time -- they should be dry to the point of snapping when done.
    Store in a cool, dry place.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.