Thread: Hardwood/Bamboo flooring for knife scales ????

Banned

Default Hardwood/Bamboo flooring for knife scales ????

Has anyone here used hardwood flooring pieces or bamboo flooring pieces as knife scales?

I was looking at the bamboo tiles and I cut one up to see if they delaminate and even soaked one in water after cutting and there was ZERO delamination.

I am going to try and make a perfect for ME knife, just to see if I can. Before I try making Crashcarta per his video in (Olive, Black, Tan), I wanted to try a durable material that is pre-made. I did not want to use antler or bone as when I have worked with it before on other projects, it seemd to not be at all forgiving to a novice.

So, I went to Home Depot and asked for a few samples of tiles as we are going to lay down a hardwood tile floor in the rec room. They did not want the samples back, so I went about what I could use them for. As firewood, they blow, too much glue and stuff in them. They would not work as a bow drill base as when they smolder, they will emit toxic chems, might work as the handhold, not sure on this yet.

They just seem perfect for knife and tool handle scales.... ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS ??

I haven't, but you sure can. I've seen laminate bows online made with it too.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

As a self proclaimed wood worker, I can not see why it would not work. The stuff you describe is usually of a good grain and should be very forgiving. And since it is free and you have the desire, I say go for it!!! As my Grand Father once said "the worst that can happen is you will learn something " ") And of course by extension so will we.
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Just before I hurt my shoulder I received a package of various wood flooring pieces to use as knife scales. I haven't used them yet, but they will be pretty early on my list when I start grinding again.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

if it's any testament to the durability of 'boo for knives, those knives i made using 'boo for pins have had near daily use and the scales are still as secure as ever.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

thought I Would Share the Knife I Finished This Week that I Used wood flooring Sample tiles .The Tiles I Used Were Classic Oak .Seams to of Been a Good Stable Item to use for a Knife Handle .

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by Skinner; 05-04-2011 at 10:40 AM. Reason: added a Pic.

Looks like it turned out great.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

I like them!
    -Frank

Whether the knife falls on the melon or the melon on the knife, the melon suffers. (African Proverb)

Updating website! Stop by and tell me what you think!