Thread: Canned Water

Default Canned Water

I was just wondering if any of you know about or have used it u can do a google search on it but i was wondering how it would taste and how long it would last
    All good things are wild and free
    -Henry David Thoreau

Learn from the old and the wise

Uhh, why? I might see it for someone who has a retreat, shelter, etc. in a remote desert area, but not for someone who lives where you do. Since you have access to plenty of non-potable, fresh water, consider a good water purification device, like a Katadyn instead. It is much smaller, more portable and you can purify a thousand gallons or more for a tiny fraction of the cost and weight of canned water.

Chip
    I asked my broker where to put my money. He said canned food and ammo.
    I think I'll just invest in ammo. Roasted zombies are mighty tasty you know.
    Especially the young and tender ones. Napalm sticks to kids!

Banned

I have a couple of six packs of water that I got when I was a Firefighter that was donated by Budweiser during a large vegetation Fire,,, Here is a pic,, I would think it will last forever ? I have had these for about 20 years,,,, just a keepsake...

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Banned

In my storage area for prep, I have a redunant water storage system as well as a commercial reverse osmosis system to treat water that will run off generator/ solar or car batteries.

I start with

10 treated 35 gallon drums, filled and sealed, they will last 12 years w/o spoiling.

5 - 5 gallon electric safe jugs (small photo voltaic capsules keep the water safe and pure for 5 years) It is called Medetank, from Japan, they have a special way of keeping water safe with the voltaics. You do need to keep them near bright sun or indoor light to work. They are part of the systems that Japan gives to their citizens. I scored some when I was in Japan. I do not keep these filled, but will fill them from rain water etc when and if the balloon goes up. http://web-japan.org/nipponia/nippon...feature02.html

20 cases of Juice Box style waters, 36 each case, 6oz each

and last but not least

10 cases of canned FEMA water, 12oz cans, like soda pop...

4 cases of Datrex pouched water. 6oz each

all of the waters in my system taste fine and I have a system of testing the water as well as tasting the smaller containers every 3 months.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I have a lake, and a filter, and a backup clorine generator, and if all else fails a big pot and a fire
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I've had the canned crap that was in the life raft kits. It tasted dead,flat, stale. We found that once you pop the can and let some fresh air into the can then shake it up it does taste a bit better.
    I know what hunts you.

Banned

Yeah, the military water does seem to be flat, I have had those as well when we were recovering torpedos and we were out there in a rubber raft or life boat. Some times boiled water after it cools has that taste as well and you are right, re-oxy the water and it seems fine. It does seem however that it is the steel olive drab canned ones that lose the taste, I have not had that issue with the FEMA aluminum cans though. Sometimes the flexible pouch/retort packed ones taste a lil medicinal like iodine but not flat.

From my research "canned" water is RECOMMENDED for a 10-12 year shelf life, however it supposedly can be used even after 20 years but would likely be "flat/ stale" after that long. But if you re- oxyegenate it by pouring it from container to container a few times. IMO your just as well off using bottled water or even better doing as others already said. Get a good filter. I have a Katadyn I bought about a month ago that is supposed to even filter swampy water to make it okay for drinking.
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

Banned

The problem with bottled water is the leeching from the plastics, not just bad tasting, but bad for you as well. At a base camp or home, yes a purifyer is great, but I totally disagree with packing one. I have seen them not work in the field and the water is FUBAR and needs boiling anyways. I just boil all water found in the field and filter it with cloth to get debris out of it if there are any. Sometimes I will add a small amount of iodized salt to boiled water, 1/4 tblspn per gallon to improve the taste or will add a Crystal Light packet for taste.

If the water is in aluminum cans, the can is lined with plastic. Most steel cans are lined now as well. The only real threat for plastic leaching is with polycarbonate. Most plastic bottles now are either HDPE or PET. All soda bottles are PET. Milk is generally HDPE. If you are truly worried about plastic leaching, the use either stainless steel or glass, with glass being the best.

Anyways, if the contaminant in the water isn't biological, then boiling has no effect on it. You can't boil out a chemical, all you do is make it more concentrated.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

that depends entirely on the basic physical properties of the contaminate chemical in question. for volatile chemicals which evaporate at a lower temperature than water, boiling will reduce their concentration, as the first phase of evaporation will contain the bulk of that chemical. for those which evaporate at higher temperatures, condensing the vapor from boiling reduces it, as the first phase would contain the bulk of the water.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.