Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How did we lose the fundamental right to be left alone?

Default How did we lose the fundamental right to be left alone?

Hello all,
    I have a couple of things I wanted to throw out there and get some feedback from you folks.
    I have been been pretty ornery lately and here is why...
    Everywhere I go it seems someone wants to know who I am, where I'm going, what I made, where did I make it, where did I spend that money, what do I drive, our names and where we live, is my canoe registered, how many and what type guns do I have, is my home safe? Where do I work? etc. etc. etc. It could be nosy busy bodies at the store etc. or in most cases government institutions and corporate goons. I'm tired of it.
    My wife gave birth to our son here in Ak and I didn't finish cutting the cord before papers were put in front of me "requiring" me to fill out our little guys application for a SSN #. What!? I told them no thanks, he doesn't need one at this time. The nurse insisted he did to qualify for his PFD (permanent fund dividend read oil money) and to get registered with the feds, to be able to travel etc. etc. she said I needed to do this. I refused again and told her to buzz off and let me enjoy my family in peace. She said she will notate my refusal and mentioned the PFD again to which I replied "we don't partake of the PFD" which we don't. She seemed pretty surprised at that.
    My point being is where does it stop? My canoe has to be registered every two years because I have a 5HP motor on it to get up the river (I can't paddle a load of gear up against the current. Ridiculus! What if we are just in the middle of nowhere for a couple of years? I come back to town and have to dodge the troopers for fear of getting ticketed?
    I needed to rant on this as I'm pretty sure I'm done jumping through hoops just to exist on this planet. I can't imagine we are here on this beautiful orb, to experience being human for an just an instant and that entails being tagged like cattle and our comings and goings documented to make sure we are paying our fare share. Is this what it's all about? I don't think so.
    It seems the government is hell bent on control and people who are not in compliance or who want to be self reliant are being forced into the insanity that is the majority's reality. Poisoned food, decaying moral values, lack of purpose, pollution, mind numbing tv, heavy pharmacuticals dispensed like candy, living in constant media/gov't perpetuated fear and perpetual debt seem to be all the rage... not for us.
    I find myself increasingly upset by what I hear or read and it gets my dander up a bit too much. I think I'm going to center myself and focus on living and raising my family up here for a bit and enjoy life without needing some ones permission to do so.

Thoughts?
    Regards,

Mountaintrekker
    BEAR CLAN
    "Evolution stops when stupidity is no longer fatal."

I think you're thinking too much about it. The money I pay for my canoe permits goes toward toward fisheries management in my state. I don't mind that at all. In fact, I don't mind paying taxes on stuff because I know that I'm helping fund the military, better schools, better roads, our library, etc. I'm for all of those things.

And why would you use the term corporate goons just because you don't know them. I was a corporate manager for quite a while. I never considered myself a goon and still don't.

Personally, I like insanity that is the majority's reality. Poisoned food, decaying moral values, lack of purpose, pollution, mind numbing tv, heavy pharmacuticals dispensed like candy, living in constant media/gov't perpetuated fear and perpetual debt that seems to be all the rage. I love life in the fast lane. Maybe you should get a hobby.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

in my opinion we lost that right when profit became more important than service. It's the gray areas. For example when a DNR goon has you dump your traps and they look at every one hoping to find a trap that a tag fell had fell off. Then if they are lucky enough to find one you get a ticket for fifty bucks. It is the law don't you know. there are lots of examples, that's one that came to mind.

Aw Heck! Started off with a wonderful morning telling my grandsons good morning. Then you had to remind me what awaits me outside the door. Most of those that I deal with cant find their way with a flashlight and a roadmap. First its "lets make a rule" then its "lets charge a fee, then its "lets double that". Oh well its just what we have become and I guess its my fault too for not standing up and saying not ever. But on the brighter side I smell a change coming. Have a great day. mwp

DNR goon? You guys are too much. First a mountrekker goon and now a randyt goon. I almost snorted my coffee.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

You can not lose a fundamental right. It is fundamental. You can however choose to give it away either temporarily or permanently. Many do this today and have through time for increased benefits in standards of living, security, peace of mind, access to resources, and pure entertainment. Because life without these things is constantly and unrelentingly hard. So we all have to make the decision how much our our rights we are going to suspend for the benefits or percieved benefits that the larger society offers us.

You can engage in activities that put your rights at risk, but I do not see their forfeiture in these cases as a 'loss' but as a result of an intentional action. The most common example of this is true crime or crime against persons. In this example a person commits or attempts to commit a crime against another by trying to take their right to property, life, health, etc.. and if caught can forfeit their own rights to the same degree.

In the example of the child at the hospital being 'strongly encouraged' to get the number and start his career in the 'system'... this goes back to my first argument. You are in a hospital, where you are recieving advanced medical care derived from the system that asks as part of its 'rules' for registration and participation in that system. So the implied choice, the bribe, again is the benefits versus your rights.

If a person chooses to keep or reaffirm their rights, they can not reasonably expect to continue to be a part of that society and enjoy its benefits.

LOL, you akes for thoughts and I haven't been able to let it go this morning! Happier thoughts to all!
    Last edited by MidWestMat; 03-24-2011 at 09:21 AM.

Banned

The rights you talk about have NEVER been in places, even in May of 1607, when Jamestown was first landed on....the rights you say you had started to be regulated. Go up to 1783, many documents ratified in the USA.... along with the right of the USA Gov't to tax and fee us.

Even if you go off the grid fully, the items you bought or traded for, somewhere along the line have been taxed, licensed or duty paid on them, by someone, somewhere.

In looking at the Bill of Rights and the Constitution and although they were both written with strong states rights in mind, there is NO right to Freedom from Gov't being in your pocket and in your life.

As Rick said, many of the license funds many of the very nature areas we enjoy as outdoorsmen and women. The taxes I mind are the ones that are meant to PUNISH, such as vice taxes...smokes, booze etc.... excise taxes just because something is taboo in some societies like guns, ammo, fishing, camping and hunting equipment.

I honestly find many loopholes in so called freedom squashing laws and regs and exploit them fully. I live as free as I possibly can, running on the edge of going over to the dark side with just a mis-step or wandering accross that fine edge line of the regs and rules.

Dont know if this fits in here but I had heard that the IRS had a form to tax people for trade and barter items and services. Does anyone have any idea if this is true or not? . And how long has this been in place? Thanks mwp

Quote Originally Posted by MidWestMat View Post
    ...You are in a hospital, where you are recieving advanced medical care derived from the system that asks as part of its 'rules' for registration and participation in that system. So the implied choice, the bribe, again is the benefits versus your rights.

If a person chooses to keep or reaffirm their rights, they can not reasonably expect to continue to be a part of that society and enjoy its benefits.
    What rights are you giving up by getting a SSN?

Banned

I would say "Privacy" when you get a SSN..... w/o there is almost ZERO reference to you.

Mountaintrekker I hear your pain. Living is a hassle- no doubt about it. Funny thing....where I live nobody ever asks me a damned question. I am always wanting to share my exploits but nobody cares...nobody ever wants to know what I am doing. I've thought about writing a book, but since nobody wants to hear about my exploits or my thoughts in person- why would they buy a book about them?
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

How did we lose the fundamental right to be left alone?

The rights you talk about have NEVER been in places, even in May of 1607, when Jamestown was first landed on....the rights you say you had started to be regulated. Go up to 1783, many documents ratified in the USA.... along with the right of the USA Gov't to tax and fee us. Fundamental rights are intrinsic to the thinking human and do not require the recognition of a governmental body to exist. They are yours in a natural state as granted by God.

Originally Posted by MidWestMat
    ...You are in a hospital, where you are recieving advanced medical care derived from the system that asks as part of its 'rules' for registration and participation in that system. So the implied choice, the bribe, again is the benefits versus your rights.

What rights are you giving up by getting a SSN? Certainly privacy as stated, however there is also the facet of signing on to the social contract that governs your society. This social contract includes many relinquishments in full or in part of the rights of the individual members of the society's members.

mwp - barter items are no different than fiat income. They are still considered income and you must report and file taxes on it. If you don't you are guilty of income tax evasion.

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc420.html

Note that I am not declaring myself 'for' anarchy. This is such a fundamental discussion that should be held and covers issues that exist in every society from the most simple to the most complex. Whether it be the right to self determination which we abridge by submitting ourselves to a tribal chief elder etc.. Or more complex issues like the modern dilemna of 'terrorism' where rights to privacy, free travel, health (see torture), etc are challenged daily. How much of these rights we choose to abridge for protection from those who would do us harm is an issue wrangled daily across the globe as peoples and governments struggle to find a tolerable balance.

We can all rail against the loss of freedoms and rights that we suffer in our given society, not just those of us who live in the US but across the world. In the end we must decide if we are going to live within that 'social contract' or outside of it. We can choose to be part of the discussion within the 'social contract' it, to fight for the balance on the whichever side of the bar we feel led. Or, we can choose to exist outside the 'social contract' and completely ignore it. But this will and does put us at war with the society and we should not expect to be treated any differently than that.

Hmm, mebbe this discussion presses to closely the political boundaries. I will shut up now afore Rick smacks me.

I guess my take on it is you can "choose" to abide by as many rules and regulations as you want or do not want.

Both will have repercussions, good and bad, depending on how you look at it.
    all in all, I do believe that WE in this country have a whole lot more "rights" than a whole lot of other places and societies do.

We can even spout about it with out being stoned.

I "choose" to play be the rules (mostly), complain about what I feel is unjust, unfair, etc and VOTE!

I "choose" to be as happy as possible, but reserve the "right" to complain.........
    But I can Choose.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Many want the advantages without the responsibility that comes with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Many want the advantages without the responsibility that comes with it.
    Yep, the benefits of society without its strictures. Doesn't work that way.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I "choose" to play be the rules (mostly), complain about what I feel is unjust, unfair, etc and VOTE!
    And we have a citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaintrekker View Post
    My wife gave birth to our son here in Ak and I didn't finish cutting the cord before papers were put in front of me "requiring" me to fill out our little guys application for a SSN #. What!? I told them no thanks, he doesn't need one at this time. The nurse insisted he did to qualify for his PFD (permanent fund dividend read oil money) and to get registered with the feds, to be able to travel etc. etc. she said I needed to do this. I refused again and told her to buzz off and let me enjoy my family in peace. She said she will notate my refusal and mentioned the PFD again to which I replied "we don't partake of the PFD" which we don't. She seemed pretty surprised at that.
    Thoughts?
    Mountaintrekker, in general I understand, relate, and sympathize with your position. However, I want you to think about one thing.

Why make your son pay for your political beliefs?.... He is entitled to the Alaskan PFD money. That money could be set aside for him until he may want it for college, trade-school, travel, his own homestead, etc...

I believe, you should let him decide what to do with it. If he's like you and decides he doesn't want oil money- then he can choose what to do with all the money he's saved in 18 years- he could give it to an environmental clean-up operation, or give it to whatever cause he wants...or hell he could even use it to start a fire in a survival situation. But the point I am making is- its his, not yours.

The reason, this means alot to me is, I grew up with alot of "non-traditional" and "anti-government" people and there children. I alot of my friends hold alot of hatred and resentment towards their Dad's due to feeling alienatated and isolated from the rest of society. I agree- you don't want to raise your son "in-society", but you at least want to expose him to it enough that he knows what its like.... just my opinion.
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen