Thread: Terrible knapping

Default Terrible knapping

well i've been out of practice, but i got a nice little load of obsidian and i've been getting my boppers back in the swing of things.

here's a couple pieces i'm working on:

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    two decorative war club heads that didn't turn out all that great, and an antler handles knife in progress.

that earlier knife blade, along with the makings of a lanceolate blade for a special project and a corner tang i'm working on.

this stuff isn't like riding a bicycle. i've turned out these pieces, some nice points and a whole lot of chubby bifaces not fit for show.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

They look pretty good from where I'm sitting.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

a lateral view would tell a different story
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

They don't have to be perfect to work. That's some really nice material. Just a suggestion, why not warm up on some lower quality stone, then go back to the obsidian? I like to start with any old thing, toilet tank, chert, or whatever, to get my strikes back on target before going to my good materials.
    I have to agree with Crash, from where I'm sitting, they look really good.

Are you using copper tools, or other stones, or antler?

I'm eager to get back to knapping too. Never was much count at it, but I could at least make a rock sharp lol.

They don't have to be perfect to work.
    this has become my anthem.

as for lower quality stone; i don't have any. this was from a load i got from a guy i sold a knife to, and the only stone i've had in some time. I play around with bottle glass, porcelain and basalt from time to time as chance allows as well.

as for tools, i use the whole spectum; antler billets, copper caps on wood billets, iron/copper flaking tools, antler flakers, stone percussors, stone abraders, etc. i finally made a leather cutout pad for flaking, though i still prefer a soft buckskin for most work and a flat leather pad for harder percussion.

one of these days i'll make to over to santa cruz to visit my friend and then maybe i can pick up some chert. all the jasper i've been able to find is rotten with those square/cubit freeze cracks, and anything else knappable i only occasionally find and in single small cobbles/pebbles. a road trip is well in order. on the plus side, i'm only a couple hours from millions of tons of obsidian flows.

Blog Entries

on the plus side, i'm only a couple hours from millions of tons of obsidian flows
    You are one lucky canid! I'm a couple STATES away from obsidian flows. Best I can hope for is jasper, chert, honey, and other knappers willing to trade.

some of the jasper work i've seen is phenomenal; though i think cooking does magic things to it. finding solid pieces of it in any appreciable size has not been easy for me.

hinging as much as i do (not very percise with angles while doing percussion work), i've got to say that i love obsidian's tolerance to goober picking. no other stone i've worked with seem to put up with it so readily.
    Last edited by canid; 03-23-2011 at 07:59 AM.

Voice in the Wilderness preachtheWORD's Avatar

Those look nice to me, especially if you made them totally by percussion.
    Preach It - Teach It - LIVE IT

percussion and abrading [the edge of the bopper is handy for that, and the knives some pressure flaking as well. the top knives complete passes and the bottom knife is still undergoing some serious pressure flaking to remove crud and such, and then to fix the uneven edges. it really had some trouble.

Banned

Looks good to me too

and here is the special project i mentioned; something of a phoenix which went down in a flame and was reborn into something new:

hopefully it lives longer than it's predecessor.

Banned

is that one of those sling things ?

Blog Entries

An atlatl. looks like it's made from a bow limb. Looks Great!

yep. that bow delaminated on me and almost took out my eye when it failed. i turned it into a knife handle and an atlatl after i got tired of it sitting around my workshop.

Blog Entries

It's all fun and games till someone loses an eye.

I think what FVR said about making bows, applies to knapping also:
    "If you ain't breakin 'em, you ain't makin 'em"
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Banned

Nice work C, the little bit of knapping I do is not even close to the quality of yours. I made my boppers, antler knapping and hammer stones and have done some knapping. Mostly arrow heads and knives. The knives I make have notches rather than a tang. I took a class in it about 1998 or so and was a lot of fun.

I have tried the bottle arrow heads, works great, actually spoils you, then go back to obsidian or pink flint and bam... back to making hand fulls of mistakes LOL

I was told that unless you do about 50lbs a month you lose your skills. I have about 200lbs of cores in the garage. I also have a 5 gal bucket of in process pieces....just never any time to sit down that long to finish them.

The prices of cores on eBay are off the charts. I am glad I live in an area that has a lot of grey, pink and blue flint cores. The obsidan I get from a friend in CaliI trade him Buckeyes and he sends me the rocks LOL

Good work, will be looking forward to more from you... I love to see things that are hand made.