Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cooked Bacon,,, how long ?

I haven't done this only heard it. Maybe someone might want to try it. I seem to recall we had a minister of science on here once upon a time. Supposedly you can place uncooked pork immediately in a sealed container and it will yield maggots. Doing the same with beef is not supposed to do the same? Anyone heard this?

I think this is why my buddy told me this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichinosis
    Last edited by COWBOYSURVIVAL; 03-23-2011 at 03:18 PM.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Banned

I have heard that pork has worms and ya gotta cook it well done,,, wow,, cooked pork producing maggots ? I doubt that's possible,,, but if it is,,, YUCK !

Trabitha....yes I cook the bacon and crumble it up and put it in the batter, along with a can of corn and diced jalapeno. Sometimes I add a little chedder cheese also. I make my cornbread a little on the sweeter side also.

Quote Originally Posted by OhioGrizzLapp View Post
    BUT.... once you open the Boars Head, what do you do to re-seal it and take the air/moisture out?
    Ya big silly. There are only seven slices in a pouch. That's snack size.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    I have heard that pork has worms and ya gotta cook it well done,,, wow,, cooked pork producing maggots ? I doubt that's possible,,, but if it is,,, YUCK !
    Sorry Justin was editing my post when you posted...it is uncooked. Refered to as Trichonella.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYSURVIVAL View Post
    I haven't done this only heard it. Maybe someone might want to try it. I seem to recall we had a minister of science on here once upon a time. Supposedly you can place uncooked pork immediately in a sealed container and it will yield maggots. Doing the same with beef is not supposed to do the same? Anyone heard this?

I think this is why my buddy told me this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichinosis
    From fully cooked pork you won't have any trichina worms crawling around. The dead little critters just add flavor.......and something to use a toothpick on in between your teeth.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    From fully cooked pork you won't have any trichina worms crawling around. The dead little critters just add flavor.......and something to use a toothpick on in between your teeth.
    Yuck yuck yuck yuck YUCK !

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Does it taste like regular Bacon ? I had some turkey Chili awhile back and was surprised it was just as good as that made with hamburger...
    Yes, it's quite good. By the way Hardee's is now serving turkey burgers.

CS - You won't find too much of that today. Pork today, commercial pork anyway, is raised in an environmentally safe building and the little porkers are fed grain. The "farmers" even wear hazard suits because they generally raise the pigs as a subcontractor to a large meat processor and they are responsible for any loss. Back when piggies ran loose you certainly could run into that problem but not so much today.

Everything you wanted to know about pork.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/...able/index.asp
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    If you have your heart set on back packing with cooked bacon.....

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    That was gonna be my suggestion. Local grocery sells store brand ( schnucks ) that has a shelf life unopened for about a year.
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

Unhappy Question about forgotten bacon

I have a question about bacon, I got some frozen+cooked bacon from costco, then went hiking for 2hrs. Then drove home for 30-45min, unloaded all the groceries, (all non-perishables) but I forgot to put the bacon in the freezer, not sure how I overlooked this. Discovered it the next day in my car, still sealed (Factory vac-packed ziplock bag). Can I re-freeze the unopened pack of bacon, and cook and eat later? I live in Virginia and its summer, so its hot out, just so you know.
    Last edited by Victorbe77; 05-16-2014 at 07:15 PM. Reason: wrong words

There are a few concerns with refreezing meats. One is the growth of bacteria (freezing only slows it down - doesn't stop it). Since the package has not been opened, that should not be an issue. Another concern is freezer burn, but again - since the package has not been opened it shouldn't be an issue. A third issue could be the meat going rancid.

All in all - I think you are OK to refreeze it. When you do thaw it and open the package - if there is any "not normal" odor, then I would discard it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by OhioGrizzLapp View Post
    Tactical Bacon..... I swear if that pig has a scope, flash hider and rail on it, I am tossing a frag at it and giving up on pork......I am getting soooooooooooooo effffffin tire of tactical being added to dang near everything... like tactical coffee, tactical rain tires... blah blah blah.....TACTICAL CONDOMS....really.... NO REALLY...........hangs my head and sheds a tear a lil...... WE ARE TALKIN BACON HERE
    Tactical condoms? I seriously have to get out more.
    Last edited by 1stimestar; 05-16-2014 at 11:04 PM.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

What exactly is frozen+cooked bacon? Any uncooked meat left out for 24 hours should be discarded. According to the USDA bacteria can double on raw meat in as little as 20 minutes. That's a lot of bacteria in 24 hours. I live by the adage, "When in doubt, toss it out".

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/wcm/con...df?MOD=AJPERES
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I live by the adage....."I don't eat sniffed food"....as in "Here, smell this, does it smell OK to you?".......Not anymore.

Of course it would be different if I was out surviving........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

You and I think a lot alike.

"So, how was that bacon?"
    "(HUURRRRRL). Okay, (breathing hard). Tasted funny (Huuurrrrrl)."
    "So....you got the flu or what?"
    "Yeah, (gagging)....or what."

I strive to avoid the above scenario.

How about cured and salted bacon. It is shipped wrapped in butcher paper and the label says no refrigeration needed and that some mold is expected. Just scrape it off and your fine.

I have kept mine refrigerated and I have cooked with it. It is too salty as it is to fry up a peace like bacon. They say to soak it for 45 minutes in water if you want to fry it. I have used it more as a seasoning along the lines of pork and beans, pork thrown into your collard greens. I fried some up to get some grease to fry my eggs in and it wasn't bad for that.

I cut off a chunk and was gonna let it sit without refrigeration. But, one of the guys that went camping took it home and put it in his fridge. Since he took something that didn't belong to him. I think I will cut off another chunk and keep it some where till the winter camping season. About 6 months of South Florida heat and humidity. Let him be our genea pig. LOL Just kidding... I think...

Default what I meant by frozen+cooked bacon

frozen, pre-cooked bacon. Which is cooked, then vacuum-packed, sealed and then frozen. Or at least thats the order I assume, they could be frozen before packaging.
    Also this bacon was mostly for my stupid fathers omelettes so I could care less if he gets sick. Just wanted to know in case I wanted some.
    Last edited by Victorbe77; 05-19-2014 at 05:36 PM. Reason: forgot important detail

I've heard of frozen bacon. I've heard of precooked bacon. But I can't say I've ever heard or seen frozen pre-cooked bacon. I'm not sure I understand the need to do both. Precooked is generally shelf stable because of the packaging and/or the tons of preservatives (but, hey, they taste good too).

And now I have another question. Is your father stupid or is your father's omelettes stupid? Since the adjective "stupid" is being used to describe the possessive noun "father" I just thought a clarification might be in order. Since you don't seem to care if he gets sick or not I assume your reference is to your father. To wit, man, that's cold.

You guys realize bacon is cured before packaged right? As well the last case of actual trichinosis was way back... May be something they worried about in the 50's and 60's but not lately.
    Cook it up and freeze it.. Then use it as needed. Don't get too paranoid.