Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cooked Bacon,,, how long ?

Well Saturday morning at the Jamboree I cooked over 1lb. of bacon and no one wanted any; I even made homemade biscuits and gravy and scrambled eggs. I ended up eating all the bacon, most of the biscuits, and half the gravy. Let's just say when I got home.....

that is a terrible, terrible shame.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

I've fried bacon and cooked it in cornbread which sits on the counter covered with a towel 2 or 3 days for 20 years. Haven't had a problem yet. I also use bacon in an egg dish with is good for 4-5 days in the fridge. Depending on the environment I think bacon would keep longer than most would think.

Banned

wow, you ate 1lb of bacon....I can hear your pipes hardening all the way from here LOL

Quote Originally Posted by OhioGrizzLapp View Post
    wow, you ate 1lb of bacon....I can hear your pipes hardening all the way from here LOL
    You know, it was worth it. Next Jamboree I am going to cook lots of bacon and see what happens. This time if it's turned down I am going to put some in the bottom of people's sleeping bags and then all the critters will come for the bacon...

I surely must have missed that somehow. I never turn down bacon or biscuits and gravy for that matter. Perhaps I was busy spearing bears or practicing with my glow-in-the-dark sling.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

...or practicing with my glow-in-the-dark sling
    oh you and your gaudy thongs...
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Not this time, brother. We're talking serious bear killin' stuff. Just ask the boys.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by roar-k View Post
    Well Saturday morning at the Jamboree I cooked over 1lb. of bacon and no one wanted any; I even made homemade biscuits and gravy and scrambled eggs. I ended up eating all the bacon, most of the biscuits, and half the gravy. Let's just say when I got home.....
    I'm not sure if I would have been disappointed or happy .....

rebel said he was full on his own bacon, I think he cooked around 1lb. as well.

Well next time I will get you all with my bacon!

Just putting this out there...
    I've used the ziplock vacuums sealer thing and the seals couldn't hold up for any amount of time when in the freezer. They are still press sealed, but with the vacuum hole in the center, it leaves yet another location to fail. The only true way I've found that works for freezing extended periods is the traditional vacuum sealer that heat seals.

edited to add:
    I would NEVER hike/camp out here with bacon. The smell is TOO strong and we have some MONSTER bear out here. Even in a sealed container they can smell it...and once you open it to eat it...game over. Can't very well bury a plastic bag, ya know?

thatisall!
    Last edited by Trabitha; 03-23-2011 at 11:03 AM.
    The key to immortality is not having a life worth living, but living a life worth remembering.
    - St. Augustine

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have.
    - Thomas Jefferson

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kris-C...6355540?ref=nf
    www.etsy.com/shop/KrisAndChrisPlaques
    www.politicsbykrista.blogspot.com

Banned

were you up or down wind of everybody when you cooked this bacon ???

Quote Originally Posted by shiftyer1 View Post
    I've fried bacon and cooked it in cornbread which sits on the counter covered with a towel 2 or 3 days for 20 years. Haven't had a problem yet. I also use bacon in an egg dish with is good for 4-5 days in the fridge. Depending on the environment I think bacon would keep longer than most would think.
    I've never heard of bacon in cornbread...just put the cooked bacon in the cornbread before baking it? Sounds neat with the sweet and salty combo! I've got to try it!
    The key to immortality is not having a life worth living, but living a life worth remembering.
    - St. Augustine

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have.
    - Thomas Jefferson

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kris-C...6355540?ref=nf
    www.etsy.com/shop/KrisAndChrisPlaques
    www.politicsbykrista.blogspot.com

Blog Entries

Must've been downwind. You don't seriously think Crash and Rick would intentionally miss a Bacon Buttie do you?
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Weeeeell. I'm not sure what a Buttie is so I may or may not miss it. Buttie, chances are if it has anything to do with bacon I'm probably in.

I usually use turkey bacon when I go backpacking though. Seems like there is less grease and when I use a paper towel to get the excess off they are quite dry. The reason I usually have them 24hrs. later is because bacon does not last once you start eating it. With that said I could possibly see it going another day or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Not this time, brother. We're talking serious bear killin' stuff. Just ask the boys.

Thanks for posting that Rick! I hadn't seen that one so I saved it on my PC. Funny though I think I'm the only one that even saw a bear! That was on my way to the store, a cub was trying to cross the road while people stopped in the road and photographed it.

Bacon? You cooked Bacon Roar-k? Dagnabbit! I can promise if the boys had known you had bacon..... well you might have been able to get a slice before they devoured it all! Those two normally eat more bacon than me and Dottie!
    Because a survival situation carries an aura of timelessness, a survivor cannot allow himself to be overcome by it's duration or quality. A survivor accepts the situation as it is and improves it from that standpoint. Prologue from Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    I was just thinking about bacon,,,, How long do you suppose it would keep in your pack ? in other words,, If i fried some Bacon (crisp) and put it in a ziplock, who long would it last if kept in a backpack on a camping trip or whatever ? seems to me it would be ok for a very long time,,,, ?? Thoughts ?
    I really don't know about this one.
    THERE AIN'T NO EDGE OF THE PRESERVE

Personally, I think he kept the bacon to himself along with the biscuits and gravy. He's just trying to make the rest of us look bad.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by roar-k View Post
    I usually use turkey bacon when I go backpacking though. Seems like there is less grease and when I use a paper towel to get the excess off they are quite dry. The reason I usually have them 24hrs. later is because bacon does not last once you start eating it. With that said I could possibly see it going another day or so.
    Does it taste like regular Bacon ? I had some turkey Chili awhile back and was surprised it was just as good as that made with hamburger...