Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Cooked Bacon,,, how long ?

Well this is a thread...for answers to Cure (Saltpeter) & Smoke Ham or Shelf Stable Bacon... http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/458/458-223/458-223.html

Cooked Store bought Bacon is not preserved for "backpacking".. it will work for a few days... even after opening and is expensive. I will be honest - I cannot wrap my mind around this "stuff" - when there is better stuff available...There is a store bought version with no work and exspensive but I can't find it on the net

Ok there is a problem with some of the previous posts - some cheap bacons are "water added" bacon and cannot be used well in a dryer as the oils, fats and watter can overwhelm the bottom of the dryer,,, most well known bacon is not like this so if you try this and the kitchen table gets wet - don't use that brand anymore...

BACON JERKY NESCO STYLE

First couple of times just two trays... take your favorite bacon and drop half the pack in bowl - then add really good BBQ sauce (one without Corn Syrup-too sticky) Add a teaspoon of hot sauce mix to coat.

spray the trays with a non stick and lay out the strips as best you can without crossing one over the other... Run at 160° Run a darn long time... all night and then some.... the grease will hit the bottom. I have no idea how long it lasts.... it disappears far too quickly.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

@ firesong - Bacteria will still grow on it. It's still raw meat even though it has been cured. The OP said it was cooked+frozen then left out for 24 hours. And trichinosis can still be contracted from free range pork. It has nothing to do with curing the bacon. The reason we don't have a trichinosis concern in commercial pork is because they are housed in environment barns from birth to slaughter and/or they have been grain fed. Nothing paranoid about bacteria growth.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

The colonial soldiers have had a slab of this stiff for 12 years ....as a display .......

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...-refrigaration
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Hunter that is what I have that I ordered from that thread and link. How have you used it and with what results?

Well we got it, and have been kinda on the road ever since........first at "The Place" then to Louisiana.

We did hack off a hunk, DW cubed it and added to her baked beans, as far a I could tell it was good....many pieces per serving instead of two per can.

Haven't tried slicing and frying.....hide is like a piece of wood, so have to figure out if I need to cut it off first then slice it? or try to slice with the hide on.

Ate a piece raw and didn't die, but was very salty........

Cut it with your bandsaw, soak in cold water, fry away.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    Pfft! I reject your premise.

Cooked bacon will be eaten, long before it can go bad.

(Who are you trying to kid?) LOL
    My thought exactly - it would never last long enough around me to make it into my pack ! But I have bought bacon jerky at Walmart before that is pretty good !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Quote Originally Posted by Crash
    Cut it with your bandsaw, soak in cold water, fry away.

I thought I'd add a little help.....
    Cut it with your bandsaw, COUNT FINGERS, soak in cold water, fry away.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

The water should wash away any blood as long as you don't let it sit too long.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

And cooking it will kill any bacteria that was in the blood. Oh, yeah. You can give the fingers to the dog to gnaw on.

She prefers shoes.......?
    As in, "Hey you little ship....come back here with that".

A guy I work with brought some bacon jerky to work last week. It was bagged just like beef jerky and would probably last just as long! It was not as good as fresh bacon but it wasn't bad either. Is there ever any bad bacon

Only the bacon that misbehaves. But they generally are all pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    A guy I work with brought some bacon jerky to work last week. It was bagged just like beef jerky and would probably last just as long! It was not as good as fresh bacon but it wasn't bad either. Is there ever any bad bacon
    I bought a bag of that at Publix. Opened the bag the bag at camp and it didn't last the days ride. I would say I still prefer peppered or carne seca beef jerky to it though.

I've tried a few brands of bacon jerky - some was better than others, but none of it bad. As I recall, it didn't last too long at the last jamboree.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

It is highly salted, so, no clue

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Well we got it, and have been kinda on the road ever since........first at "The Place" then to Louisiana.

We did hack off a hunk, DW cubed it and added to her baked beans, as far a I could tell it was good....many pieces per serving instead of two per can.

Haven't tried slicing and frying.....hide is like a piece of wood, so have to figure out if I need to cut it off first then slice it? or try to slice with the hide on.

Ate a piece raw and didn't die, but was very salty........
    I use my ulu to cut it off all at once. A fillet knife would be good too.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!