Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cooked Bacon,,, how long ?

Banned

Default Cooked Bacon,,, how long ?

I was just thinking about bacon,,,, How long do you suppose it would keep in your pack ? in other words,, If i fried some Bacon (crisp) and put it in a ziplock, who long would it last if kept in a backpack on a camping trip or whatever ? seems to me it would be ok for a very long time,,,, ?? Thoughts ?

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    I was just thinking about bacon,,,, How long do you suppose it would keep in your pack ? in other words,, If i fried some Bacon (crisp) and put it in a ziplock, who long would it last if kept in a backpack on a camping trip or whatever ? seems to me it would be ok for a very long time,,,, ?? Thoughts ?
    I have cooked bacon the morning I left for a trip and had it 24hrs later. I have also cooked chicken, beef, and some other meats this way and had a really good meal at camp that night.

Banned

Bacon, about a week not chilled and air is able to get to it. The whole idea is to take the air and moisture out. You can do this with the gadget at this thread. Just using a baggie will NOT help.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...er-cool-gadget

If air and moisture can get to the fat in the bacon, the fat will turn rancid. A mold will develope and a horrible smell will happen, both in the baggie and out your arse if you eat it that way. I would also recommend a food grade 1"x1" dessicant pack inside the vac baggie. Most butchers can hand you a few if you cannot find them at specialized food stores like restaurant suppliers will have them on the cheap.

Yoders makes an excellent canned bacon product and truly is real bacon, cooked soft and ready to plop in a pan......or wrap around a stick and place in your camp fire. They are a true mess to open and get out of the can, but is honestly a good product.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/taste...ayer-ful,2481/

http://www.campingsurvival.com/yocaba.html

Banned

why does hard salami last so long ? vinegar or something ? I know salt is a preservative,, that why i figured bacon would be a good keeper..

You guys sure take greater risks with food than I do. There is no way in ... well, let's just say I would not eat one week old bacon. And the vacuum device is to extend the life of frozen items not to keep on the counter.

Salami can be shelf stable or not. It just depends on how it's manufactured. Dry sausages, like Genoa Salami, is usually moistened with either wine or grape juice and has no water in it. That's why it lasts so long. Dry sausages that are shelf stable are easy to pick out in the store. They don't have cooking directions, the USDA safe handling instructions or the words "Keep Refrigerated" on it. They do make a good trail food.

I wouldn't hesitate to dehydrate beef, chicken or turkey to take along on the trail and have done it quite a bit but I'd never attempt pork or any other meat that has just been cooked on the stove. Even 8-10 hours is pretty risky.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

eh, we can all use a new pet "tape worm" to make life exciting..... actually vac packing is not just for frozen items. You can vac pack dry items or freshly cooked items. The prob usually comes in at when opened in the field, how do you re-vac pack them. That gadget helps out a lot. I have eatin week old bacon in the field by vac packing it with a dessicant. No ill effects that I know of.

The yoders bacon is the best answer I do believe.

This is the answer from Ask.com and channeled via Hormel via wiki.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_long_d...ked_bacon_keep

Ah shucks just buy some tactical bacon and you are all set.

Pfft! I reject your premise.

Cooked bacon will be eaten, long before it can go bad.

(Who are you trying to kid?) LOL
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Banned

Tactical Bacon..... I swear if that pig has a scope, flash hider and rail on it, I am tossing a frag at it and giving up on pork......I am getting soooooooooooooo effffffin tire of tactical being added to dang near everything... like tactical coffee, tactical rain tires... blah blah blah.....TACTICAL CONDOMS....really.... NO REALLY...........hangs my head and sheds a tear a lil...... WE ARE TALKIN BACON HERE

Banned

Careful,, you may have a "Tactical Breakdown" !

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    Pfft! I reject your premise.

Cooked bacon will be eaten, long before it can go bad.

(Who are you trying to kid?) LOL
    I have to say, I agree with this 100%!

Seriously tho, bacon has a LOT of fat and would not store well cooked. Though I've eaten day old bacon leftovers on a sammich, that bacon is usually stored in the fridge. As OGL stated, it's the "cooked" items that will spoil. It might be a better idea to dehydrate, or smoke the bacon for storage, removing as much fat as possible (impractical for bacon). Pig fat is not stable at normal temperatures, like around 85F, it will tend to "sweat" out liquid fat, and therein lies the problem as a trail food.

If you have your heart set on back packing with cooked bacon.....

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned

BUT.... once you open the Boars Head, what do you do to re-seal it and take the air/moisture out?

Quote Originally Posted by OhioGrizzLapp View Post
    Tactical Bacon..... I swear if that pig has a scope, flash hider and rail on it, I am tossing a frag at it and giving up on pork......I am getting soooooooooooooo effffffin tire of tactical being added to dang near everything... like tactical coffee, tactical rain tires... blah blah blah.....TACTICAL CONDOMS....really.... NO REALLY...........hangs my head and sheds a tear a lil...... WE ARE TALKIN BACON HERE
    What's wrong with this?

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

haha, so tacticool eh?

Banned

Lololol,,,,,,

Banned

Mall Ninja food.........

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by OhioGrizzLapp View Post
    Mall Ninja food.........
    You know about mall ninjas ? wow ! i didn't think you have been here long enough ?

man, to think mall ninjas get tactical bacon and all I get is country captain chicken or ham slice...so picked the wrong career
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton, Jr.

VISIT MY EBAY STORE

On a serious note...the pre-cooked bacon is pretty tasty and does not require refrigeration until opened. With a couple people, a pouch would be about one serving. Pretty good idea Crash
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton, Jr.

VISIT MY EBAY STORE

things to remember about bacon:

1.) bacon is one of he few foods most of us seem to cook nearly to the point of complete sterilization, as well to to the point of very low moisture. because of this, it is initially very tough for microorganisms to grow in it if it is stored under conditions that do not allow it to re-absorb moisture. this basically means cool, dry conditions. if refrigerated, it is perfectly capable of keeping as long as it is dry. if fully dehydrated first, and packaged in a sealed container, it would keep as long as any jerky made from fatty meat, since the intense cooking has already rendered it safe to eat.

2.) bacon is fatty. these fats wil turn rancid just like any other oily food. the result will be an off taste to the fat which most people find unpleasant, and is probably carcinogenic (though bacon is already carcinogenic, so this is a matter of degrees).

3.) commercial bacon is loaded with preservatives. while these are not good for you, they are great - especially in low moisture foods in preventing the growth of microbial pathogens.

while all of this makes it sound like bacon should have phenomenal keeping ability, remember;
    4.) bacon is both habit forming and delicious. because of this, if you are keeping already cooked bacon on hand for more than 2 days, no matter the quantity, you are doing something wrong.
    Last edited by canid; 03-23-2011 at 12:03 AM.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.