Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: "Intentional".....Pre-planed long-term WILDERNESS Existing.

Looking at Rod's site, I think he will be a welcome addition to the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    Do you notice only one person felt that they could do it.......AS IT WAS LAID OUT. Everyone wants to change it because it does not make sense.

I'll endeavor to make this simple, And Change the 10 mile requirement to 5 miles.

1). You must move (5) Five miles every day on average or you will be killed. Note: you could do 10 miles one day and none the next day. The point is you have to keep moving, You can't build a homestead, or nice shelter.

2). You will have to get your food from the environment.

3). The "WHY" is not important, if you need a why.......you are being hunted and wanted dead or alive. The Why does not matter.

4). I guess in theory you could loop around to an earlier campsite and improve it, but you must move 5 miles the next day.

OK, pretend there is a million dollar prize to the first person in American to do this, having started after April 10'th 2011 Plus you get to be a real hero, and write a book about the adventure.

I find it interesting that people want to change the original post because it does not make sense. Only Dogman was willing to accept the challenge unaltered.

I could NOT do it. Not for one year. Maybe I could do it for 6 months......Maybe. Mostly what I am looking for is a valid argument that the procurement of food would be the key to success or death.

Are you carrying another dang book to Alscatraz?

Just your travel requirement is 1800 miles! Even the long hunters of the east and the mountain men of the old west did not put that kind of milage on themselves in the 18th and 19th centuries. When winter came they holed up and built cabins or station camps and put up food for the winter. Your clothes are not going to hold up for a year and you will need a base camp for collecting and curing hides at some point.

Life in the wilderness is for a year is quite attainable. Several of us have done military tours that required months on end of living as hunted animals, like your senerio. We have hiked the AT and covered 12-16 miles per day. We have hunted for our food and know we could accomplish that. We have cured hides and made our own clothing from them. Doing all of this at once is not reasonable, and not possible without resupply along the way.

AND

We could not accomplish your task here in the lower 48, legally, for one simple reason: Hunting and fishing seasons.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Are you carrying another dang book to Alscatraz?

Just your travel requirement is 1800 miles! Even the long hunters of the east and the mountain men of the old west did not put that kind of milage on themselves in the 18th and 19th centuries. When winter came they holed up and built cabins or station camps and put up food for the winter. Your clothes are not going to hold up for a year and you will need a base camp for collecting and curing hides at some point.

Life in the wilderness is for a year is quite attainable. Several of us have done military tours that required months on end of living as hunted animals, like your senerio. We have hiked the AT and covered 12-16 miles per day. We have hunted for our food and know we could accomplish that. We have cured hides and made our own clothing from them. Doing all of this at once is not reasonable, and not possible without resupply along the way.

AND

We could not accomplish your task here in the lower 48, legally, for one simple reason: Hunting and fishing seasons.

Your all a bunch of sissy'men in the lower 48. Hell, In Alaska we have women that spend 11 straight days in the wilderness "NUDE". Just strip naked and swim into the wilderness.
    Just because you think something "CAN'T be done, that only means You can't do it. It does not mean that it can't be done.

I live in the lower 48 and I would like to do it....
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen