Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Intentional".....Pre-planed long-term WILDERNESS Existing.

Well you're original post also didn't say anything about the constant movement. My first understanding, albeit apparently wrong, from the title of the thread and the original post was what does it take to live in the wilderness for an extended period of time and what skills are necessary. Thats what I got out of it. All the walkabout stuff came later in the thread, which altered my responses, to the point that one of your last posts, to simplify it, was that you HAD to move or you die, which lead me to the assumption that its a survival situation.

I guess every conclusion I came to based on the information given was wrong so I'll just leave this thread now.

Banned
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Sourdough;287808]OK, I chose each word of the thread title carefully. The thread is NOT a debate as to whether it is possible. We know it is possible (It was done for hundreds of years). What I request is what would it really be like, what would really be needed.....?

OK, I'll attempt to answer my own Question, to hopefully get this on track.....

Answer: It would be very, very, very lonely to go for a long period with NO Human contact. It would be very stressful also, and most likely very depressing at times. It would be cold and wet and miserable much of the time.
    I should think somethings you would need are lots and lots of fishing gear, including nets. I should think (3) Three .22 Long rifle cartridges per day would be on the safe side, so figure about 1,100 rimfire cartridges. I would start out of the box thinking on the rifle.......for example: a Remington Nylon 66 bolt action cut off at the pistol grip, and epoxy a good scope inplace and then wrap the scope and firearm with layers of fiberglass and epoxy. This may not be the best idea, but is an example of creating a durable firearm that maybe ugly but functional. Suggest one fresh blade for the bow saw per month, and as they are light maybe 18 blades for the 365 days........etc. etc. etc. you get the idea........?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OhioGrizzLapp View Post
    I presented my questions, observations and suggestion in a matter of fact notion. SD, you seem to ask questions that you already have a set answer to and not happy when someone questions your decisions.

I plan my outings very carefully and take due diligence in those plans. I do not under gun, under knife or under plan an event. To do so is reckless and dangerous, not just to you, but those around you that care for and about you.

I admire your tenacity and fortitude, but I do disagree with many of your appearant pre-made decisions on this adventure.

To each their own......I will however refrain from responding anymore to vague and hidden meaning posts, especially ones where you already know the dang answer.

If you honestly do not want observation and suggestions, then why ask for them in such a errant manner?
    Of course I have my ideas, but I will not bet my life that there are not better ideas. So I want as many ideas as possible. Maybe there is a firearm I have not considered, maybe there is a fishing method I have not considered. There is no right or wrong. The trick is to beat-it to death so as everything is considered. Some of us consider that there is a remote chance we may have to escape and evade. Yes remote, but the time to consider the remote chance is now. What would I need......where would I go. How would I evade tracking dogs......? answer: cross the tide flats at low tide on snowshoes, and summer or winter all scent & footprints are gone with the tide. Or I know where canoes are hidden, I could ride the tide out 30 miles in the dark of night. I just enjoy thinking about this stuff.

Do I have answers, You bet your arse I have answers.......But I want the best answers, and you may offer the key to something I had not considered.

I just found a heavy cast aluminum waterproof container. It is 19 1/2" wide inside, 32" long and 7 1/2" deep. It is some type of military airdrop first aid container, with 12 heavy ratchet locking clasps, and a thick rubber seal. I also found 25 gallons of 30# oil (Unused). Guess what is going to be buried next week.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 03-23-2011 at 11:36 PM.

I think, it makes sense to me, and I'd like to do it- because I am a wanderer by nature. Homesteading and farming arent my bag baby. Ultimately, I have been a student of the Inuit, and the plains Indians for most of my life...both of those groups were Nomadic (granted they followed/ tracked animal migrations) but they had a progressive regulalry moving lifestyle. To live a lifestyle like that you have to be secure in yourself, and your abilities and also be willing to accept going hungry and getting wet and cold every now and then...
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

You may want to look up the story of "Simon Gunanoot "sp a west coast aboriginal who was being chased by the RCMP and the likes at the begining of the 1900 if memory serves me right. Is this somewhat your refering to?
    Bear Clan

I was born with nothing,
    with hard work and deligence I still have most of it
    this week a lot less...must be a hole in my pocket

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tsitenha View Post
    You may want to look up the story of "Simon Gunanoot "sp a west coast aboriginal who was being chased by the RCMP and the likes at the begining of the 1900 if memory serves me right. Is this somewhat your refering to?
    Was he also known as "Albert Johnson" aka "The mad Trapper of Rat River"......?

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    Do you notice only one person felt that they could do it.......AS IT WAS LAID OUT. Everyone wants to change it because it does not make sense.

I'll endeavor to make this simple, And Change the 10 mile requirement to 5 miles.

1). You must move (5) Five miles every day on average or you will be killed. Note: you could do 10 miles one day and none the next day. The point is you have to keep moving, You can't build a homestead, or nice shelter.

2). You will have to get your food from the environment.

3). The "WHY" is not important, if you need a why.......you are being hunted and wanted dead or alive. The Why does not matter.

4). I guess in theory you could loop around to an earlier campsite and improve it, but you must move 5 miles the next day.

OK, pretend there is a million dollar prize to the first person in American to do this, having started after April 10'th 2011 Plus you get to be a real hero, and write a book about the adventure.

I find it interesting that people want to change the original post because it does not make sense. Only Dogman was willing to accept the challenge unaltered.

I could NOT do it. Not for one year. Maybe I could do it for 6 months......Maybe. Mostly what I am looking for is a valid argument that the procurement of food would be the key to success or death.
    I will try and play.
    1. The fact that you have to move everyday and are being hunted would suggest you carry a shelter, and probably sleeping insulation. There are only so many hours in a day, and you have to spend most of them moving, and finding food. Building a shelter takes hours, and you will have to spend time before you leave one destroying it so they can't find where you were that night. Sure there are tents you could bring, but most tents wouldn't last a year of constant use, and the ones that do usually weigh 40 lbs. I would choose a heavy duty tarp, obviously in natural colors or camouflage. It would be made from a heavy fabric like cordura or canvas. A high quality bag will probably last a year, if taken care of properly. I am not sure about that one. Your clothes would have to be pretty tough. You really don't have time to make clothes, or process leather from animal kills. You also wouldn't be able to carry many clothes. Maybe a hidden cache would work from time to time, granted who ever is following you doesn't find it. Most clothing today, even military clothing, won't last a year of hard use.
    But, food will be the clincher. Because you have to move, you can't farm, or trap. Fishing is limited to a very short time. And, using a rifle will no doubt tell who ever is following you where you are. And, if you are following a herd of some type of animal, those following you will probably figure it out before a year is up and then guess your next move. I would say the best food supply would be stealing from farmers/ranchers. This, of course, would mean that you are living off society in a way. I don't have an answer for the food situation. Being on the move constantly and being chased really make it a difficult situation. Most successful fugitives hide "in plain sight" by mixing with the population and benefiting from society.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    Was he also known as "Albert Johnson" aka "The mad Trapper of Rat River"......?
    he was a native. If I remember right he didn't live alone.

Simon and his family were legendary in BC for being on the run for decades. he and his brother were accussed of killing two guys and the sheriff's posse started chasing them. They ran and hid all over BC for most of Simon's adult life. But, they didnt necessarily live on the land. If I remember correctly they were hidden, helped and looked after by alll the Indians in the region. So, its a little different scenario.
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

I wouldn't want to do this challenge If I was being hunted. I don't like the fugitive take on it. I prefer to think of it as a challenge to be an explorer (Lewis & Clark style) or a Nomad (Inuit style)....and move daily because I want to....not because I am being forced to.

I would like to start this in late-Spring then finish up the following Fall. Do it for a year and a half. My prefered route to do this would be follow the Athabasca River during the summer, then move slowly along Lake Athabasca over the winter, then follow the Kazan River towards Baker Lake the next summer.

During late Spring, Summer and Fall- I would build a log raft and travel and hunt off that....at sleep-time, I would haul it out of the water and prop it up against a tree or rock and have an already built lean-to. I would walk my five miles a day up side creeks looking for game, but then go back to the river and float another 10 miles or so each day...so this way I would be covering miles and miles to improve my chance of finding game. Also, I could haul a fair amount of meat on my raft and not have to abandon it to keep traveling. A bonus here, would be the amount of daylight this region gets all spring and summer. The closer I got to Lake Athabasca, I would start making cache's of food every few miles- so if needed I could snowshoe back up the river- retrace my route (keep moving) and use my cache's.

Another nice thing about doing this here...in later Fall, the river will still be moving, but the temps wont be so warm as to spoil meat. I would be killing every goose, moose, etc.. that I could find and cacheing meat everywhere....Sure, your going to lose a bunch of it scavengers- but you'll get alot of meat to come back to for sure.

Winter would be tough. I'd make snow shoes, and utilize the old trap lines and trapper cabins all around the Lake Athabasca region. Plus there has been alot of mineral/oil exploration in that area as well, so there would be alot of old stuff to scrounge through to find stuff to help. I'd stay close to the lake and river, and ice fish, daily and keep my eyes peeled for a moose, hares, and squirrels (and their caches). I'd focus my hunting/fishing during the few hours of daylight, then i'd do any mandatory travels at night along the lake shore. Then build a quick snow pit for a shelter if I could not find a trapper cabin in my travels.

What would I take? Not much...I'd do it fur trapper era/mountain man style. I'd drag all my gear everywhere with a travois, haul it on raft, or build a sled to drag in the winter. I wouldn't carry much at all on my back.

Now, before your tear me and my plan apart...tell us what you'd do!

I'd follow you and keep an eye on the raft for you.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I'd follow you and keep an eye on the raft for you.
    Good plan...

Gunanoot was chased by the RCMP and in the years that he was at large he fathered a few children by his wife, in the end he had to give himself up as he just got tired of the whole thing. Not the same as the "Mad Trapper".
    Bear Clan

I was born with nothing,
    with hard work and deligence I still have most of it
    this week a lot less...must be a hole in my pocket

Quote Originally Posted by tsitenha View Post
    Gunanoot was chased by the RCMP and in the years that he was at large he fathered a few children by his wife, in the end he had to give himself up as he just got tired of the whole thing. Not the same as the "Mad Trapper".
    If I remeember correctly, he only gave up after the RCMP gave up chasing him, and stated that he'd get a fair trial if he came in. He was given a fair trial, and it was ruled he was not guilty...

Pre-planed?! Plan on being cold from time to time. Wet from time to time. Hungery most of the time. And botherd by insects all the time!
    I'm a simple man, of simple means, turned my back on the machines, to follow my dreams.

Blog Entries

I could do it but have no desire too.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Blog Entries

If you really want to know what it would be like. Contact Rod Perry through this web site. He is a friend of mine and has done some pretty amazing adventures.
    http://rodperry.com/about_author.html

Heck yeah! Rod Perry the infamous iditarod musher and film maker. Do you know him personally? The guy is a legend in dog driving circles...

Blog Entries

Yes I know Rod. I just got off the phone with him. I'm going over to his house next week and help him get logged in here as a forum member.

Uh oh. He's down to you helping him, huh? This does not bode well. Someone is bound to get hurt in this adventure. I'm confuing up sprained fingers and hang nails just from the keyboard.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.