Thread: Army to retire UCP / ACU camoflage.

Default Army to retire UCP / ACU camoflage.

Been to a couple threads. They say from a distance the camo pattern fades and you look like a gray blotch. I've never noticed that. Anyone know the timeline for the switch?

As far as I know they (army) are currently using multi cam for new/ replacement issue. Most likely they will be changed over within a year. Which means lots of ACU camo cheap at surplus stores. Now used camo locally is running $8 each for shirts/pants and $25-$40 for field jackets.
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

Personally I wouldn't give $2 for ACU camo.(Well maybe.... if I was going to cut it up and use it for stuff sacks and such) I never did like it and wondered what anyone was thinking when they adopted it. No one ever seems to take into consideration that the Uniform camo fades faster than any other camo clothing out there. When you only take 4 changes of uniforms(when I was in... 1 worn, 1 in Rucksack, 2 in D-bag[deployment bag]) it doesn't take long for it to fade.
    Because a survival situation carries an aura of timelessness, a survivor cannot allow himself to be overcome by it's duration or quality. A survivor accepts the situation as it is and improves it from that standpoint. Prologue from Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen

Quote Originally Posted by Pocomoonskyeyes3 View Post
    Personally I wouldn't give $2 for ACU camo.(Well maybe.... if I was going to cut it up and use it for stuff sacks and such) I never did like it and wondered what anyone was thinking when they adopted it. No one ever seems to take into consideration that the Uniform camo fades faster than any other camo clothing out there. When you only take 4 changes of uniforms(when I was in... 1 worn, 1 in Rucksack, 2 in D-bag[deployment bag]) it doesn't take long for it to fade.
    I don't know poco I kinda like the ACU's not for combat or concelement purposes but for comfort. If you rember that's what I wore at first annual jamboree. But I agree that with the exception of possible desert settings the ACU was about the dumbest color choice the military ever made.
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

I'm still a fan of the Woodland and Desert Camo. The Navy, not wanting to be left out of the new uniform thing, went to a digital blue camo - good for hiding in the open ocean without a ship I suppose.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I'm still a fan of the Woodland and Desert Camo. The Navy, not wanting to be left out of the new uniform thing, went to a digital blue camo - good for hiding in the open ocean without a ship I suppose.
    No offense, but that seems kinda' dumb.... If you are "man overboard" you would want to be found I would think.

@OS yeah the type of fabric and way it was made is one thing.... which I could agree on.... but the color scheme..... I just can't see it.(get it?) It is/was one of those things that COULD be a good thing(pattern wise), but it was light colored already, fading would have just made it worse!! Sorry but I just had the feeling that it was designed by someone who had no "Boots in the field" experience. There is just no way it could have gone through enough testing to account for the fading.... even if it were washed 10,000 times. I think their time would be better spent in researching more fade resistant dyes. If the Camo coloring is "Right" when it first comes from the manufacturer, It won't STAY right for very long.Especially in the summer when you are exposed to sunlight for long periods of time. I know on some of my old BDU's that were faded I would try and find vegetation of approximately the same hues, when Camouflage and Concealment were important.
    Because a survival situation carries an aura of timelessness, a survivor cannot allow himself to be overcome by it's duration or quality. A survivor accepts the situation as it is and improves it from that standpoint. Prologue from Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen

ka03_greenzone-ciras_tec1.jpgka03_sandstorm-ciras_tec.jpgka03_badlands-ciras_tec.jpgThis is what the Army is coming up with now.
    The ACU as a all around camo color is .....well just insane.I do own some that I use for Woods ball just to make teams identifiable.I can see them good In winter snow environment or Grey rocky ares.The MARPAT was well thought out.The digi pattern is to help break up if someone is using NVG.They are treated with acrylic to help combat IR or FLIR.How ever after so many times in the ringer the chemical has to be reapplied.
    They do last longer then the old BDU as far as fade an such,but you wont find this on any civy line.A Marine can buy the real deal at any base or order them.If you would like to get a pair or more just hit up your Marine buddy.As far as my thoughts on the multi cam.Well They passed on them over the ACU so multi cam went to the civy market.Now there issuing them to the troops till these others are tested.Another thing I think that there going to change where they put the rank tabs as this caused some issues when identifying female soldiers.......Right between the breast!Yea not such a hot idea.lol

Wait, in a couple years they'll go full circle - back to O.D. green fatigues. LOL

Chip
    I asked my broker where to put my money. He said canned food and ammo.
    I think I'll just invest in ammo. Roasted zombies are mighty tasty you know.
    Especially the young and tender ones. Napalm sticks to kids!

The orginal camo was a brown barn coat with muddy Lab prints all over it.
    I don't care what pattern the camo is, as long as it "Matches".
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

dimebag333
    Another thing I think that there going to change where they put the rank tabs as this caused some issues when identifying female soldiers.......Right between the breast!Yea not such a hot idea.lol
    I never heard that before...I think it is a Joe Network rumor

The Army has been looking at new uniforms, just like new rifles, for years. I wish we would go back to the BDU/DCU we had before as the ACU is almost worthless unless you are hiding in a gravel driveway. We refer to the pattern as asfault color. It is an effective pattern in Iraq during dawn and dusk, you can actually loose a guy 10ft away sometimes. As far as the woods or Afghanistan, it like having a visible strobe strapped to you all the time. The Velcro is garbage and wears out in about 2 months. Having to pin-on all your badges is another big pain, as we where able to sew on everything before. I do have a few of the first issued uniforms that fades to almost gray but in the last couple years they fixed that problem. They are issuing the MultiCam to combat troops in Afghanistan, but only to be worn there and they also do not get to bring it home. So it is very limited because it is very expensive, and therein lies why the Army went with the ACU. It is cheaper than the BDUs were after it the initial wave of issue. I think it will be a awhile before they do another full change due to the financial burden on the Army and especially the Soldiers. It comes from my pocket every time they do a uniform change. The new higher command will be interesting though, as they may have new ideas yet.

The only recent uniform to be issued at Basic Training is the new Army Service Uniform to replace the Class A and Dress Blue uniforms. 4th qty 2014 is the wear out date for the Class A and Dress Blue.

I have not heard of anything official as far as a timeline or even a definite new uniform to be issued for the whole Army.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton, Jr.

VISIT MY EBAY STORE

the army needs to us 14 oz carhartt logger pants hold up for ever and makes u look like a REAL MAN "sourdough" and the tan and light brown colors carhartt offers are close to desert camo colors
    All good things are wild and free
    -Henry David Thoreau

Learn from the old and the wise

I just say as long as there tuff an don't get our boys killed.