Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Huge Score at the Cleveland Sports Show - Randall 1-7

Banned

Correct Crash and the entire forged piece is made in Germany and Randall does the machining

NOTE: I am not testing the Randall LOLOL

The BuckMaster in reality is crap! At least the ones issued to the teams were. To quote a team guy "it make a good dive weight" . They did tend to snap off at the hilt. Most of the team guys I knew would trade them to aircrew guys for their aircrew survival knife. (which I found to be crap as well) I ditched mine and replaced it with a ColdSteel MasterHunter model in stainless (when they still made it in stainless). The only hollow handle knives I like are those made by Chris Reeves.
    I know what hunts you.

Banned

The two I tested, the Buckmaster SS and the Buckmaster lite, both passed all 14 tests..........what was bad, was the ergonomics of the knife... very hard to get a down stroke chop due to the pommel and lanyard ring. They are however going to rise in value as Buck phases them out....the new one is a full titanium buckmaster that is replacing the 184.

In 1986, my dad bought me a Busse Boss Jack (Old Style) and that is what I carried up until 1991 in the Navy. That and a Buck 110/C with the Marlin Spike and clip point blade. When on mission, I had to wear my E3 and very early gerber multi tool. I was allowed to also wear the Busse on mission. I wore it cross draw style.

Brother inlaw had a few Randals. He bought them back in the early 60s. He moved to Fla and less than a month crooks broke in his house. Took all his guns, knives and electronic equipment. Two weeks later they hit him again. Police in fla told him that was normal. They gave you time to buy replacement for what you lost then hit you again.

Banned

So far, niether the house or gun shop has been broken into... *knock on wood.... My car was broken into and a tool box stolen at my local Wally World though.

Quote Originally Posted by OhioGrizzLapp View Post
    Ummmmmmmpfffff a Randall "PRETTY" how dare you, pure blasphamy..........* polishes up the HANDSOME custom blade....and curls my lips at the WOMIN Folk and their rude departure from KNIFE etiquette....."pretty"...........pfffffffffffttttt tttttttttttt.............glares at Hunter.....Hmmmmm pickin seed with the chickens huh.... gets out book and puts a mark next to hunters name...... ;-)

Sorry Winter... I truly consider the Bianchi Nighthawk a true weak sister, even the newer ones in Euro, could not pass 3 of the 14 tests at all. The handle area broke right off with just hand pressure while the blade was in a vice. The sheath is great, I honestly want one for my SRK, but the blade is a POS. There are actual accounts of some guys taking them to theater and the knife failing, no deaths that I know of from it though. This is the reason Bianchi dropped them very quickly from their inventory.

Grizz, Randalls are production knives, not custom.

I carried the nighthawk on one FTX. I don't care for the balance or the round handle at all.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Banned

Winter, I know that they are NOT customs... to me they are near and dear to my heart and consider them customs when Bo made them.......

Yeah, the Ergo's on the Nighthawk blow.... I do like that sheath though, I am still looking for someone to make one like it for my SRK. I want that sheath with a wider space so I can put a Strike-Lite box of fire starter and striker in it.....the stone that comes with it also blows....way too soft to touch up an edge on a SS knife.

I have a pretty good knife collection... with many 50's Randalls and a very solid Scagle's as well as many other very good and solid knives....just recently had them valued for insurance and auction reasons and was SHOCKED at the amount of appreciation they have gained.

Randalls are a true classic USA knife.

Odd that you mention the stone on the sheath. I agree, it's way too soft.

No other knife I have fits the sheath, BTW. Hahaha

You got me thinking about making a leather one now. Hmmm
    Last edited by Winter; 03-31-2011 at 11:15 PM. Reason: A pencil made me misspell.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Banned

Yeah, that blade on the Nighthawk was short. I wish I had leather skills to make a sheath, I just do not need to add yet another hobby and tools.....I have way too many unfinished projects as it is...I hate the plastic sheath for the SRK, it is loud, does not really fit well even with the adjusting screws. I have always liked a leather sheath more. That nighthawk style sheath just really appeals to me. I would change the brass stuff to subdued and the white thread to black or OD Green.

Quote Originally Posted by SARKY View Post
    They did tend to snap off at the hilt.
    the beauty of a knife like that is that if it's too brittle you could just toss the whole thing into the oven to deepen the temper
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Blog Entries

Northern Knives here in Anchorage has those same two Randall knives for sale.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Banned

I just emailed them about 1/2 hour ago, their email back was they do not have any Randalls currently for sale but that they do have some display Randalls. They do have some others by some Montana, Ohio and AK makers I am interested in though, thanks for the lead.

Grizz, when are you showing us your knife collection?

Banned

Anytime you pop on over for some coffee and a look see LOL

The entire thing is too spread out between here at the house, the gun shop, my daughters place, the bank safety deposit box etc.....

"The Collection," is for investment and most are wrapped up and stored away. ..... so basically the only knife I have out and about are the 3 SRK's LOL I have a few in display cases in the shop on the walls here and there. All in all and only because I had the insurance guy here a cpl months ago, I have about 525 collector/custom knives. Most of them made in the 1960's & 1970s that I bought in the early 1990s after I got home from the Navy in 1991. Some are from the 20's -50's as well.

Now I just buy higher end pieces when I find em or they find me. I rarely sell any of the knives. Once in a great while, I will trade the knives here and there.

I just like knives, flat out. No pictures of them?

Yur killing me here.

Banned

Just the insurance pics, not sure how I would get them from the paperwork for the insurance to here though. The would be very grainy and pretty much not viewable if I scanned them.

I have used Randall knives since the 60"s. Stongest and the best knives I have ever used/owned. I have one with me every day. I own a model 1 but use their "hunting type" models. They are expensive though. In talking with the Randalls, they like to see their knives used and in the hands of woodsmen, hunters, fishermen, and warriors.

Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.