Thread: Containers - Why WE seek them, Why we pack them

Banned

Default Containers - Why WE seek them, Why we pack them

Those small containers like Altoid big and small, Succrets, CCI Black Powder cap tins, metal, wood and plastic boxes, tubes and rounds of all kinds and shapes.

Why do our hearts flutter a little bit or our breathing ever so slowly increases when we see these and other containers?

While in the cash register line and you see all those containers, you immediately start thinking what you will put in them. You run things through your head and start a list of things for fire, water, shelter, safety, food, signalling and protection. You wonder, will that old pocket knife fit it or that new fire steel you bought...shall it hang on the outside or be on the inside.

So you grab the container of MushBerryMint throat drops...you get em home and you empty the drops into a plastic baggie and toss it in the junk drawer...but first you taste one and decide instead to just throw them away in the trash.

Now you go about finding things in all your hidey hole spots and that box of stuff you keep buying, finding and scrounging of items that you know will be perfect for a a nice personal survival kit.

So your items are something like this:::

small knife and/or a razor blade of some kind like exacto #11
    fire starting mag/fero/steel
    book of matches or a few hurricane matches
    some kind of tinder
    button compass
    water pure tabs
    2'x1' piece of tin foil folded up
    small fishing kit
    needles & thread
    small cordage/line/twine
    3' of rolled up duct tape
    signal mirror
    copper or other wire
    wire saw
    band aids
    small packet of neosporin
    aspirin or other pain meds
    cut off sawz all blade

...and other objects that the owner feels suited to their needs and conditions.

Why do WE do it.... I guess for some small senses of security that we have available a small pocket or personal survival kit(s). In some small way, they give us comfort from all the evil things in the world. Some of us feel we must make one for all theeir friends and family. Yet others just make themselves one.

...then the kit goes into some stragic place and others place them in their coats, cars, desks at work etc.....you knowing that your kit is much better than so in so's and dang, not as good as that guy that took pics of his and posted about it. But you know that if there was some type of award for PSK's, yours was sure to win at some level.

So, now you have had a chance to sit down and watch TV.... you roll your new kit around in your head of what to add or take away and justify the reason.....there ya go, opening the kit and re-arranging, adding to or taking away various items, justifying the space used up for the items....you close it up and reseal it and re-store it for use.

Each day, you have to touch your kit, maybe open it, in your mind using the items.....if caught in the woods and need to survive you go through scenarios in your head and think if what you would do first....Oh thats it... Fire First....then think about shelter....then comes the stumper for most tin can kit survivors...where to find water and how to make it safe. This whole scenario rolls through your head.........and finally you are drifting off to sleep. Dreams of when and where or how you will use that survival kit.

You see ads or walk through an outdoors store and see ready made survival kits in a tin... you immediately pick it up and compare the contents to yours...then you SCOUF at the price and drop it like it had a contagen of some sort. You think to yourself, what on gods earth would make a small tin survival kit worth $29.95.

In the end... you justify your need to make small survival kits as a way to fight back from evil, mother nature or other ills of the world. You defend your kits contents against other PSK makers in forums, blogs and yes, even the elusive Snail Mail .......you sometimes even wonder why that other person made their kit that way or this way.

...you often dream of your destiny in this world and your kit(s). You wonder will there ever be a time you must use your kit on a hike, outting, fishing or hunting trek. Some times you even practice using it....making a small fire in the BBQ or making a natural shelter at a downed tree on your property....always think can you do it, can you make it...will your camp be enough to get you through that first 96 hours because you know that 96 is the new 72. You then re-fill your kit with the used supplies, take inventory in your mind and vow o find that one odd item you forgot and figure out how to over stuff your kit.

...as you coninue in your life long quest to be prepped at all kinds of levels... your PSK means much more to you than mere survival or existance...it means you have thought ahead, you are prepped for that weather event and sadly know some of your co-workers, friends and family have not. Will they make it through, will I need to go rescue them.

We, us preppers, will continue to better our kits as we learn more and more about what it means to Survive and Thrive in adverse conditions. You escalate your kits into other, larger kits, different levels...reasons are justified in some manner.... until you make them so heavy that 2 men and a boy could not haul em... then you find ways to haul them, horses, 4x4 trekkers, home built aircraft, boats, motorcycles.... each with their own PSK at so many different levels that you sometimes find it hard to believe that every person on the planet does not have at least one PSK..... you see disasters happen all around the world and know that if those people just had a PSK, they could have survived if they survived the initial event, what ever it was or is.

Some of us will even reduce our kits as our knowledge increases, we will need less gear as our skills increase and our knowledge expands. We tend to want to help other would be preppers into their new world of prepdom. We grow happy at their first fire, their first shelter and their first PSK.......

Join me in showing your various containers.....not the contents, but rather the containers you will choose for your PSK(s)

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

small metal containers are a sight to behold LOL. I still have a dozen or so metal band-aid boxes and a few doans back pill tubes. I can't remember when it all changed from metal to plastic and cardboard but what a sad day indeed.

I don't have one (sob). Mine is on a key chain.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

It's obviously a man-thing, like some women have a need for shoes.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

I think we all have "squirrel" genes some where in the DNA.
    I also hold up the check out line, mind whirling over the possibilities.

We need to add bags (not necessarily military), bottles, film containers, and my all time favorite, metal coffee cans.
    Have to collect a few and post a pic.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

You do it because it is the cat to your crazy cat lady-ness... lol

Its also infectious. I never even thought about buying altoids until I joined the forum. So far, I've held out. I think mainly cause I have nothing to put in it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by JPGreco View Post
    You do it because it is the cat to your crazy cat lady-ness... lol

Its also infectious. I never even thought about buying altoids until I joined the forum. So far, I've held out. I think mainly cause I have nothing to put in it yet.
    What? WHAT?

Doesn't matter what ya got to put IN it, it's the container..........

Sounds like a DOC care package might be in order?
    Y'all have knife, right?
    Last edited by hunter63; 03-21-2011 at 03:21 PM. Reason: added stuff, splin'
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Yes, but the only one I have that would fit in it is on my car keys...

Banned

I can donate a couple items as well as containers....I have a wooden barrel full of empty containers....round ones, short ones, fat ones, tall ones...... sounds like a lyric to a song... I can even donate a small altoids size folding knife.....

That would be cool... a passed around container with the last person being the person the container and contents is donated to ????? Then that person takes pics of their outting with it and the first fire from it ????

Penning music to the song "I've got the Container Blues"

Aw, you guys care.... lol

You guys got me hooked on the knife making (not to mention the several topics I really want to try out that I haven't gotten around to yet), so I need to avoid the hoarding of mini containers.

Banned

Can we ban JP for just saying that blasphamus thing ???????

Same here with me though, I have so many projects, biz and collections....sometimes I just do not know which way to turn.

I have turned most of my gun shop customers into small container survivalists LOL...

On the counter I have a box of button compasses, small knives, small fishing kits and other things you would put in a small container PSK. They rummage through the containers in the wood barrel, then select their goodies and they are out the door for like $8 total.

All in all, it is a good thing to throw in your pocket on just a walk. I have used mine a few times and if you have decent items, they really do work.

I'm sure I can scrape one together. I mean, for fishing line, I have like 20lbs test cause of the ocean right near me. It's nice cause I just yank small fish out of the water and plenty of hooks of various sizes. I used to have a fire starter, not sure where it went to since I had it back in scouts. Not sure what else i would toss in it.

Banned

Oh sure, he back peddles now....... GASP..... "I have a fire starter, not sure where it went to since I had it back in the scouts" ................... OK thats it..... you are voted off the island LOLOLOL

Read the prig post there JP......kind of a short list of things to put in it.... BUT..... this is about the actual containers... not what is in it....

Note: writes down in my book some mumbling message about JP and his absense in the small PSK crowd......almost adds Rick, but he saved himself by having it on a key chain LOLOL

Banned

Made a score today of bright yellow plastic soap boxes $.25 cents a piece, they are two piece and perfect for pocket PSK. The scouts are each going to make themselves a PSK....I will be curious as to what they each put in them. The rule is, they must have the basics... but are allowed to put other things in them.