Thread: In a quandery

Blog Entries

Default In a quandery

As you know I have to move, there's no time frame on this as such. So, do I go ahead and start sowing seeds as normal, in the hope that I get to stay here to enjoy the fruits of my labours, or start everything off in pots and hope the new place has a suitable garden, or give things up as a bad job this year. I can't decide what to do for the best!
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Do you have a new place picked out? I thought in another post you said you had found a place a bit larger. If so, can you sow your garden there?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

I'm still waiting on hearing about it, there were a couple of others interested in it that were ahead of me, so I'm not sure I'll get it.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Transportable containers.

I had to move off and leave a nice garden patch two years ago when my wife died. If they had been in containers I could have saved everything, espically the tomatoes. It was late in the summer when I moved and I lost all my root crops.

This year I am establishing some above ground beds as terraces on my hillside lot. I will also use more containers this year since I put a storage building on top of last year's garden spot and a great deal of my lot is shaded. Containers/planters let you place them where the light is best.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Most of my garden is in containers. I could load them up on a trailer and transport them across town if needed. I might me a compromise for you if you cannot plant as much as you would like, but at least you'll be able to enjoy the fruits (and vegetables) of your labor. You could also do containers and raised bed planting. You might be able to enjoy the harvest, or at least share some of it if you move before harvest.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

The consensus seems to be containers, so looks like I'll go with that. Thanks!

Banned

I would also say containers.....

Why don't you start them off in smaller containers. That way if the move comes early they won't be quite so heavy. If the move comes later you can always transplant them to larger containers. And remember that plants will generally only grow in size in accordance with the container they are in. Once they get root bound they won't grow much larger since there won't be enough roots to support the above ground plant.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I agree with containers as well.
    But I would still plant, maybe a scaled down version, that way maybe someone else might enjoy my labor.
    i know all has been brought up, so I'm just casting my vote.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    And remember that plants will generally only grow in size in accordance with the container they are in. Once they get root bound they won't grow much larger since there won't be enough roots to support the above ground plant.
    If you were working with shrubs or fruit trees that might be a real concern but with most plants one would consider for container use the root system is not that big. As long as you have 2-5 gallon containers you can grow about any garden crop you want.

My wife once grew a fantastic pepper garden in a window box. I froze and dried peppers all summer from that 8"x8"x36" box. I had a dozen tomatoes in containers that year and we dried and froze so many tomatoes we were still sprinkling dried tomato chips on our salids in Feburary.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Blog Entries

Well, I have a stay of execution! The house has been sold and the new owner is happy for me to stay for the time being. So it's full steam ahead!

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That's great news Winnie!!

Guess it's time to set out some more seeds then. You better get to work!

Banned

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Great news Winnie. Is the new owner doing a lease with you so you have some security in your length of stay?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Yes Crash, I have to go in to town tomorrow and sign the new tenancy agreement. It's a 6 month shorthold, so in the short term I'm OK, not sure what he wants to roll over the tenancy at the end of the term or not. Based on that I've decided to move, but at least I have a bit more time and can get a crop going. I've only got 6 jars tomatoes left!

That's good news, Winnie. When one door closes another opens.

Blog Entries

Indeed, Rick. I'm looking in the snow zone!!!