Thread: UN Authorises No fly Zone.

Blog Entries

Default UN Authorises No fly Zone.

Western forces have launched air and missile strikes on Libya as part of a UN-backed plan to establish a no-fly zone and prevent government attacks on civilians. The US said more than 100 cruise missiles were fired at air defence sites.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12776418

Col. Gaddafi Spoke on phone to Libya TV. Wonder why that would be. Rats, sinking ships comes to mind.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Ground forces to follow, but we already have teams and spotters on the ground.

What is the Arab League contributing to all this? Besides saying "you're doing it wrong!" Then again they've been working on one of their own member's pirating problem (Somalia) for over 3 years without accomplishing anything.

Banned

who is "we" ?

Obama said the U.S. would not send ground forces to Libya.
    http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpps/new...18-fc_12381618

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

There are SF teams on the ground painting the targets with lazer pointers, guarenteed!

In my opinion we are simply trading a crazy dictator for an al Quida mob run theocracy. Waste of money and effort. Those cruise missles cost millions.

Let them fight until only one is left and let the Massad deal with him. I'll buy them a whole box of .22 hp rounds, deduct it from my taxes as national defense spending.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Seventeen nations. US Surface Ships, Submarines, Stealth Bombers. and as KY said - most likely spotters on the ground. What is most disturbing to me is - 1. Why are we intervening? 2. What are the mission goals? Why weren't the American people and Congress brought in on this rather than just the UN? Not saying there are not legit reasons, just don't know what they are and what strategic US (and other nations) were at stake to cause this action.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

My sentiments exactly Crash, and since when have the French been so eager to go in first? There's something fishy going on, you can bet your boots. Could be oil, with all the foreign nationals gone, there's no one working the oilfields. Maybe that's it.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

I agree, we need definition. Why is this civil war any different from the dozens we have kept our noses out of in the past ten years? We will probably all die of old age before the real reason for this action is made public. Q-daffy has not really been bothering anyone for the past decade and is no more hostile toward "his people" than he ever has been. He has not suddenly become a clear and present threat.

Since when did a no fly zone mean missle attacks and straiffing and bombing of ground targets.

My concept of a "no fly zone" is stopping jet and chopper attacks against civilians. If it is flying, for either side, shoot it down. Not an unrestricted shooting gallery as air support for the rebel troops.

Are U.S. troops under UN control? French control? British?

The early media reports were that we were to supply support functions for French and Brit flyers. No mention was made about U.S. planes/troops being involved.

And this at a time when the administration is threatening troops with cutting off their pay due to lack of funds. This is one of those times when I am glad the admin must clear actions with congress within 90 days.

I am not an antiwar/dove by any means, but I wonder what the real motivation for the present action actually is.

Saudi Arabia can (and I believe have) increase their oil output to make up for what is not coming out of Libya, so I don't (just a gut feeling) think it's the oil. I also don't buy into "a humanitarian mission". If that were true, the world would have stopped the genocide in Rwanda already.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 03-20-2011 at 09:49 PM.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Saudi produces heavy crude, Lybia produces light gold crude. Two very different grades requiring different processing, but still only 3% of the world output.

And sure not enough to justify the 25% jump in pump prices here in the U.S.

They must create a real crisis to get price at our pumps above $4 a gallon to push green tech/alternative energy sources. That is our tipping point and That may be what the whole mid-east situation is being manipulated too.

This is just my cut at it but here's how I see it. The U.S. and Libya have been at odds ever since Kadafi took over. Anyone remember the two Libyan jets that got flamed in the 80's? After they attacked two U.S. fighters? How about the Berlin bombing in the 80s that killed U.S. servicemen? Linked back to Libya. And who can forget the Pam Am bombing over Lockerbie and the whole "Oh, we have to release him because he'll be dead in 2 months, al-Megrahi? Yeah, the guy that's still alive. That was in 2009. Ooops, missed that diagnoses.

Then there was the whole weapons of mass destruction thingie that Bush proclaimed Cuba, Libya and Syria had back in the early 90's.

Anyway, we've been looking for an excuse for a long time and I think this is it, planned or happen stance.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

KRS: You are right on all counts.

As far as gas prices go - Ever notice that someone in or near an OPEC country burps and prices rise immediately (even when nothing actually happens). When crude prices go down, have you ever seen a timely reaction to that?
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

if you raise prices by 25% for a couple of months people will somehow feel relieved later by a mere 10% drop. seems to happen at least every year.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.