Thread: Basic Net Making

Default Basic Net Making

This skill is not for sportsmen. Nets are by far the most effective means to feed you and not just fish. Birds, small and even large game can fall prey to nets. Many other applications such as making hammocks make this a very useful bit of knowledge.

This does not require a great deal of money or equipment. I prefer to use waxed nylon string but it will work with all kinds of string. Some materials hold knots better than others but if knot holding is a problem small amounts of glue can be used to secure knot. Note the use of nets is almost always illegal because they are so effective and using something like single strand mono-filament is completely invisible underwater. Modern methods of hunting and fishing are designed to allow a lot of escapement to preserve wild life and keep sporting goods and tourism industry profitable. You’ll also need something to gauge the size of the net. A small piece of wood works ( in this case I’m using cardboard). A net needle or shuttle is nothing more than something to hold string to thread through knot and can be improvised with a stick in the field.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

This net will be used legally but to stay within regulations in the area it will be used mesh size cannot exceed 4 1/2 inches so I cut gauge to 4 3/8 to be sure not to exceed legal limit. The gauge provides that consistency.

To begin wrap gauge twice and tie a square knot.

Remove from gauge and hang loop over a nail or something to hold it. Note position of first knot. Wrap once around gauge, through loop and pull tight.

Hold knot with left thumb, make a loop and thread through first loop and the one just made as shown.

Keep thumb on knot as you tighten. Pull knot to the right to take out slack. This positions knot.

Then pull down to tighten completely.

This what knot should look like. Important it does not drop down that’s why you pull out and then down.

Repeat again, again and again.

This will create a chain like this. Make it as long or as wide as you want net.

Place chain on a rod or can thread rope through for longer nets and begin to widen with same method. When you get to the end of a row flip over rod or on larger net tie from other side to go back the other direction. It’s easier than learning to tie knot left handed.

This is time consuming and tedious work. This net is now about 5x 20 feet and took me about 3 hours of time. People are a lot faster that do it all the time but I suggest the evader make one in advance to suit your needs (for me that’s a dip net) since they do pack up to a small size.

Last edited by crashdive123; 07-06-2011 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Restored Post

Banned

Nice job.... nets can be used for so many things...........rep sent

Thanks. I posted the pictures before but I finally got around to writing instructions.

I would argue that if you're making your nets yourself, it's more than sportsmanly enough. barbless fly fishermen don't work that hard
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

very good, a useful skill indeed. Could make a great "rainy day" project.
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Nice tutorial AS.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Great job. I sent some rep your way.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Thanks, My food procurement kit has a premade 3 foot diameter dipnet. I just carry the net and will build the frame in the field. It packs up small and fits in a small stuff bag. Kit also includes a field book on foraging local plants, Heavy fishing pole and tacle box and enough seed to plant a small farm.

Tackle targets larger fish but have some Coho flies and articial eggs for fresh water fish and it is all tried and true tackle I've been using a long time with guarenteed success.

It all packs into an Uncle Mikes pouch that will fit on my belt except rod and pole that fits in with my hunting kit.

Its a bit more than some carry but I am serious about eating for an indefinate period of time but there are a lot of things other people carry I don't so total weight of kit is still light and if the weight become a factor I'll sprout the seed to eat and the net will be the last thing I pitch.
    Last edited by Alaskan Survivalist; 03-20-2011 at 10:01 AM.

Banned

Nice,,,,, I can only imagine what a mess "I" would make of a net,,,,,

tried to Rep but need to spread around before I can give you more

Thanks again for some very useful information, heck, I might even beable to follow those instructions.
    Rep sent
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Excellent tute. The cinching of the knot is more or less one motion as it slips out of your thumb. That motion can be tricky for a beginner like myself. That right pull before the cinch might just be the trick! Thanks for posting this!!

Nice description of how to tie the netting knot (sheet bend). If you wish to explore the craft in depth check out the "Nets and Net Making" link in my signature. Tony
    Happily tangled in my nets at
    http://pineapple.myfunforum.org/index.php?c=7

Blog Entries

Good and useful stuff, rep sent.
    Survival is not about surviving AGAINST the nature. It's about surviving WITH the nature.

You can't go in to nature, nature is not a place or an object. Nature just is. You are living it.

This thread looks very useful, but the pictures are not showing up. Is something wrong with my account, or have the pictures been deleted?

Some of the pictures are there. I suspect the missing ones have been removed from the photobucket account of the user.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Thanks crashdive123. I found the problem. It was on my end. Had to switch Wifi connections so the photobucket would not be blocked.
    The Thread looks even better than expected with the pictures. Now it's time to bite the bullet and get into this. I have all the tools and supplies, just have to do it.

Thanks for the Thread!
    Last edited by schumanw; 09-29-2015 at 05:37 PM.