Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Snares and Deadfalls

Chief Executive Officer of All Operations

what about hares, rather large hares?

I live in middle latitude so animals should be similar as in middle latitude in USA. I think in forest near me could be foxes, rabbits, mice, maybe deer, but no more in mammal kind. Near woods is highway so I doubt that there are many animals, like wolves, bears or otters.. So the best explanation i think it could be a fox faeces.. I searched in internet and found that foxes scat is similar with that I found on fallen tree, but it was a little smaller so it could be small or young fox... It maybe used timber as a bridge for crossing a stream so I think we found that animal..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (101.7 KB, 4 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (94.3 KB, 2 views)
    Last edited by Rokas; 07-04-2008 at 10:06 AM.
    Continue developing

Rick, I use copper wire not plated with dyes or rubber, just bare copper. It's little thinner than 1mm so I think it won't snap if I catch rabbit, but it could be to thick to firmly close around prey's neck and strangle it...
    Continue developing

alright so what do you guys know about snaring with anything other than wire? I'm expecting a few replies saying that wire is the best and to not bother with anything else, but say i'm going backpacking/camping and dont want to bother with bringing a bunch of wire. what kind of rope rope/lace would be the best?

Actually, it isn't a bunch of wire. A 55' coil is only about 3-4 inches in diameter. Pretty tiny and light, really. But on with the question...Anything you want to use. Roots, paracord, shoelaces, just about anything. Just remember that an animal can chew through fibrous snares so you might want to rig a spring that will lift them rather than a static snare that will let them stay on their feet.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

...with all of the people posting on these boards...
    and everyone wanting to be prepared...
    and go out in the woods with some sort of "tiny" kit...
    just make a dozen, they are simple to make and wrap them up and leave them in the bottom of the kit,and forget about them.

they weigh next to nothing.
    brass or copper works, but can be chewed thru.
    20 to 24 g wire is best.

and as far as anchoring them to a "shoelace,or rope[550]..think again.
    of you take the time to make good snares that wont get gnawed thru...why on earth would one tie a good sturdy snare off to string?

take some more wire and make a couple tie offs.
    for a dollar you can buy a pkg of 12-15 supertiny black fishing swivels to attach your snarewire too and anchor it to a tree or sappling.

that way when the critter twists and turns it wont break the wire.

or just build a [snap snare] a snare tied off to an overhanging branch under tension so when the animal gets snared and trys to pull himself free, the small trigger holding the branch..wich can be rope/string tied to snare..
    pulls the animal clean off the ground,killing him quickly and keeps his paws from reaching the ground and the tree hes suspended in and keeps him from breaking free.

i like placing snares just at entrances of active "dens or holes"

anchor around tree,set snare a couple inches away from entrance...
    then when animal scurries in or out he is sooo close from his place of comfort he tries desperatly to make it inside the hole and does not like himself bieng half exposed, he realy forces the noose tighter and tighter until hes dead.

very quick,very clean.

jamie

That's pretty much what I was trying to say but you said it much better!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I need a way to snare a gopher .. not by me pulling the snare wire. like a way to set up the snare wire and then leave it and comback later and have a gopher.

Ryleyboy - If you read the thread you'll find more than enough information and links.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

If you hit the woods planning to use a snare without carrying a roll of decent wire that doesn't take up any room you might as well stay home. My opinion only
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

i have read all the threads and still have no idea how the snare just closes by its self. sorry if thats a stupid question but i dont get it,.

Go to the main page and read the write up on snares. It explains everything in detail.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/food-2.php