Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Snares and Deadfalls

hey if you guys need help in trapping i know alittle about it and i also trap to so if you need help let me know

non-senior senior member Assassin Pilot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    i was on a reno job today truns out the carpenter is an old trapper he was telling me that snares are much better than traps and way more humane says he could carry 700 snares out into the bush try that with traps
    that's a good point. a snare takes little time to set up, and can pay off quickly. traps.... not so much
    "He who throws dirt is losing ground"

Quote Originally Posted by Assassin Pilot View Post
    that's a good point. a snare takes little time to set up, and can pay off quickly. traps.... not so much
    Thats a true statement.

I've used deadfalls, snares and steel traps with good success on them all

I'm really fond of the #110 Connibear trap. Light weight and it kills almost instantly. They work great for squirrels and rabbits. I used them a few times on survival jaunts in Okinawa. Smear a little sardine oil on them and you have yourself a mongoose (I quit trying to catch them after the first one. Theyre not the tastiest thing in the woods for sure)

BatCat

BatCat
    ---Cavette Cattam--

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I'll make this one short for you. Everyone on here. Do a search for snares then stand back at all the posts that show up.
    k does this thin tell you how to snare or do you just have a conversation about snaring i dont get the point of it??..

Quote Originally Posted by hillbilly1987 View Post
    hey if you guys need help in trapping i know alittle about it and i also trap to so if you need help let me know
    I would like to know about it.

Yes to both your questions. The main page offers the Army Survival Guide, which explains how to set up snares. Take some time and read through the Guide and the posts to familiarize yourself with the site. You can also go to the Introduction section and tells us a bit about yourself.

http://wilderness-survival.net/food-2.php
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Default Please help with snares

Hello, I never hunted with snares, but I am planing to do it in short time... But I have few questions. Is brass wire okay for snares and what diameter should wire be to strangle small rabbit or mouse? And do I really have to rub snares with dirt after placing them to mask the human smell?
    Continue developing

Brass wire as well as stainless and copper work well. Here's some info from BassPro. http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...ptId=000000000

Here’s a thread with some info. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...=snares&page=2

Type snares or squirrel pole into the search function – that’ll keep you reading for awhile.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Brass will work better than copper. Copper tends to kink, I find. If you go into a shop that sells firearms and outdoor supplies, they'll probably have rolls of brass snarewire available. I've never had to rub them with anything, just set them on the rabbit run.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Chief Executive Officer of All Operations

I preffer the paiute deadfall as apposed to the figure 4. easier and more sensative IMO but you do need string. I suppose a shoe lace would work in a pinch. I would like to know a little more about snaring. We have tons of rabbits around here and ryleyboy and I could probably come up with some type of stew or rabbit roast.

So when I think of snaring, I think you just put a wire loop across a rabbit trail. I do know that you put the snare where they are funneled in or make a funnel and where they always step. so no matter which way they are going, they get caught. Is that all? I mean, is there some special way to make the loop? How do you know where they step in the summer months?
    Last edited by flandersander; 07-02-2008 at 04:29 PM.

"
    So when I think of snaring, I think you just put a wire loop across a rabbit trail. I do know that you put the snare where they are funneled in or make a funnel and where they always step. so no matter which way they are going, they get caught. Is that all? I mean, is there some special way to make the loop? How do you know where they step in the summer months?
    [/QUOTE]

Size of the loop is important and different for different species. Over here we have the "Black Naped Hare". Average weight up to about 4.5 -5.5Lb. A loop about 4 inches across and about 2-3 inches above the run is sufficient. Make the funneling look as natural as possible. animal trails and runs can be clearly seen by pushed down vegetation or the vegetation being totally worn out. Again the runs are much narrower than you'd expect it to be. Try to read up and learn as much as you can about your prey species as possible. If you know its habits..you can soon recognize and pick up its trail.
    Walk softly upon the earth!

What diameter should wire be to strangle small rabbit or mouse?
    Last edited by Rokas; 07-03-2008 at 02:43 AM.
    Continue developing

Quote Originally Posted by Rokas View Post
    What diameter should wire be to strangle small rabbit or mouse?
    Rokas, I dont know what size your rabbits are..but generally about 4-5inches should do. It is very difficult to catch mice in snares. A better option might be a mini deadfall with a finely set trigger. It might take several attempts before you are able to catch something in a snare...so don't get discouraged.
    Just keep at it and modify and adjust your snares and traps as you go along.

Thank you Jay, I'll try with dead fall, but I have doubts about it... The rabbit could be aware about dead fall because food would be under rock or log so he won't go under it... I tried snares with copper wire and it worked great but i took quite thick wire so I think that when the rabbit would go to this trap he would feel that something is wrong and run away, but if you take to thin wire, it would snap.. So how do I know if the wire thickness is right?
    Last edited by Rokas; 07-04-2008 at 10:02 AM.
    Continue developing

And one more thing... In forest near me are scarps made by stream and across them (streams) lies couple dead fallen trees.. On them I often found animal faeces... they are similar size comparing with dog poops and black with white colours... Do you have any idea what animal left it? sorry for questioning this question in this topic, but I don't know where to ask it, so...
    Continue developing

flandersanders: don't kill rabbits from may to august>>breeding (and stringy, yech) usually about a 3" loop on the snare and what you described is pretty accurate. Practice makes perfect.

rokas>>>not sure why you want to snare mice, but I'm pretty sure a snare won't work, try a mousetrap. The animal poop thing? Probaby something that catches it's food on or near water, can't say because you could probably write books on what I don't know about Lithuania.

jay>>>good advice.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Quote Originally Posted by Rokas View Post
    And one more thing... In forest near me are scarps made by stream and across them (streams) lies couple dead fallen trees.. On them I often found animal faeces... they are similar size comparing with dog poops and black with white colours... Do you have any idea what animal left it? sorry for questioning this question in this topic, but I don't know where to ask it, so...
    Rokas, you need to get acess to a guide on mammals in your country., these may be otter scat. especially if they are on top of rocks or stones or logs. break them open and examine them. better still take them home and wash them and examine them. otter scat ( or spraints as they are sometimes called) will contain bones of small aquatic animal such as crayfish, shrimpl,freshwater crabs,insects etc. you'll find that otters generally keep to a regular route and are fairly easy to trap. However examine the scat and see what bones they contain. sometimes otter scat can be watery and red in color. let me know and I'll see if I can help you. The university I occationally work for has a pretty good sample of mammals from all over the world.

I thought they sounded kind of big for an otter, but you could be right Jay. The placement sounds right for otters. Really nice fur on otters, Rokas. Pretty bad eating from what I've been told (never tried one)

Chief Executive Officer of All Operations

yeah, I will wait a little while. They are some type of hares actually, not bush rabbits. So they are a little bigger. So I will need a bigger loop I think. It will be way easier in the winter I think, just because I will be able to see the footprints and whatnot.

Rokas - You want a 24 gauge wire for rabbits or squirrels.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.