Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Snares and Deadfalls

Default Snares and Deadfalls

Who uses snares and deadfalls?

I'll make this one short for you. Everyone on here. Do a search for snares then stand back at all the posts that show up.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

i would do more trapping around here but i'm not fond of dog and there's only so many cat fur hats you can pawn off at the farmer's market before somebody recognizes mittens' markings...

i know, i'm bad. if anybody needs me i'll be in the corner.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Lord bless them little pygmies down there in New Guinea. That there is funny I don't care who you are.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Ouch canid,better hide before the fur starts flying ,as it sure to do once everyone figures out where their cute cuddly little hat came from!
    Last edited by nell67; 01-23-2008 at 06:13 AM.

I can look back and say I knew him when...LOL
    Last edited by Smok; 01-23-2008 at 11:16 PM.
    Do it with what you got and you want need what you don't have

some people detest being referd to in the third person; for me it's the past tense...
    jk
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Blog Entries

Default Cats... pesky nasty good for nothings...

I hate domestic cats... Canid, I say trap'em all get with me and I'll sell'em over here in the midwest and east coast. Use several snares and traps here and a couple of deadfalls but the snares work best.
    Last edited by Beo; 01-23-2008 at 04:44 PM.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

I have made a rat trap.

Blog Entries
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

My father is an expert at trapping cats.

He says that they are good and free fertilizer.
    "There is a saving streak of the primitive in all of us" - Euell Gibbons

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    i would do more trapping around here but i'm not fond of dog and there's only so many cat fur hats you can pawn off at the farmer's market before somebody recognizes mittens' markings...

i know, i'm bad. if anybody needs me i'll be in the corner.
    you just almost made me snort my coffee
    Earth - love it or leave it.

FireSteel.com

Thumbs down

I cant use snares because there illegal in illinois.
    Tanner James Ontis

Not so, Tanner.

"Snares
    It is unlawful to place, set, use or maintain a snare unless at least half of the loop
    is underwater at all times. When set, the snare loop must be 15 inches or less in
    diameter. Snares must be constructed of cable that is at least 5/64 inch, but no
    more than 1/8 inch in diameter, and must be equipped with a mechanical lock,
    anchor swivel and stop device that prevents the snare loop from closing to less
    than 21⁄2 inches in diameter. It is unlawful to use or possess cable or wire snares
    constructed of stainless steel metal."

From "2007-2008 Digest of Hunting and Trapping Regulations", page 28.

http://dnr.state.il.us/admin/systems/Digest/Digest.pdf

I'm originally from Illinois and had used snares, legally, there in the past.

What do you guys think of pitfalls? I was thinking that it would just be to much work.
    The sweet serenity of the wilderness, the only place someone can know everything about everything

Depends on what you're killing hermitman. I know people who keep pitfalls around their cabin full time because of bears.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Thats a good point what about useing it for anything eles then bears. Wouldn't use it for small game and big game I would think it might waste to meat.
    The sweet serenity of the wilderness, the only place someone can know everything about everything

Have had relatively poor luck with deadfalls over the years. Snares are bullet proof - except I keep catching the neighbor's dogs. My brother is excellent with snares and can make a good one from a length of twine or a shoe lace.
    Raised By Bears
    Bear Clan

Quote Originally Posted by hermitman View Post
    Thats a good point what about useing it for anything eles then bears. Wouldn't use it for small game and big game I would think it might waste to meat.
    Not sure about badgers, wolverines are almost never fooled by them....I think for the most part they're way too much work.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

i was on a reno job today truns out the carpenter is an old trapper he was telling me that snares are much better than traps and way more humane says he could carry 700 snares out into the bush try that with traps