Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Urban Kit

Default Urban Kit

How many of you have a Wilderness Kit and an Urban Kit?

I have a nice setup for Wilderness, but my Urban kit is lacking. I use the same bag but switch out the kits depending on where I am headed. I also use the same FAK for both kits. I will admit I am lacking somewhat in the Urban kit department and need to work on it.

What do you all have in your Urban kit?

P.S. By the way they refused me entrance to the World of Coke in ATL unless I gave up my multi-tool and mini pry bar. They said I can either have them hold it or put it in the car, but I cannot take the tools with me. I asked, "What happens if I need it?" And they looked at me like I was crazy and said, "Sir, why on Earth would you need these things? Do you think something will happen inside for you to have need of them?" It was almost as if they thought I was planning something.

Banned

I need to build a kit period,,, I used to have one but pretty much used it up when I found myself homeless a few years ago,, I have a pretty good idea what is around the house that I can use to get by,, but my B/O pack is sitting empty in the shed,,

I would have asked, "Can you guarantee me nothing will". It wouldn't have gotten you in with the gear but it would have made them think.

I'm not certain what you mean by an Urban kit. I have my get home bag in my vehicles and my BOB. Is there something else?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Well if you ask a lot of people these days, they will list:
    Cell phone, lotsa apps
    Credit card.

This is a good idea for a thread, as in a lot of situation in an unban setting, lots of stuff NOT ALLOWED.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Well if you ask a lot of people these days, they will list:
    Cell phone, lotsa apps
    Credit card.

This is a good idea for a thread, as in a lot of situation in an unban setting, lots of stuff NOT ALLOWED.
    That is what I am saying. When I go hiking, camping, backpacking, fishing, or anything in the wilderness I have a small kit that has a space blanket, poncho, firestarter(s), tinder, whistle, etc. But I know that some of that would not be as beneficial as something else in an urban setting. I do IT work and am constantly in and out of buildings in and around the city. I would like to carry a kit that would fit more into that setting than the kit I have for a wilderness setting.

I am raising the question because I would like some input, advice, or ideas on what to carry or what others carry.

Banned

My 14lb kit is the same same for wilderness and urban.....you would not catch me alive in an urban rentention center in an emergency, there are a enough wild places to go inside my urban area. I really do not like crowds and I am not a group type of person. I know my kit would not be allowed into a detention/retention center so I would avoid them by all means possible.

Banned

whenever I go out into the bush for whatever reason,,, fishing, firewood or just for a drive I throw a few things into a day bag,,,, ya know, pistol, cell phone, some food, a lighter or two, knife, water, and a small first aid kit , 4 space blankets,, things i will need to spend at least 3 nights in the bush,,,

That's pretty close to what I carry when I go out. I was trying to have another specifically for an urban setting. As a few others I am not too fond of crowds or cramped places, but I have to make the woman happy and sometimes I go where I am told.

I think some items are essentials.

Cell phone
    Pocket knife
    Water (bottle) and water straw or pills
    Money (small bills and change)
    ID
    CCW Weapon
    Cordage
    First Aid kit
    Right now I have some Little Hottie hand warmers in my truck bag
    Maybe an MRE or similar meal in your vehicle? I have an A-Pak meal in the truck.
    Small tarp or space blanket. I have a wool blanket in the truck
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I have a toolbox on the back of the truck...It'll get me home!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

I'll amend my "short list" a tad:
    On belt:
    Cell phone
    Multi tool/mini Bic in leather belt pouch

In pockets:
    Pocket knife/SAK
    Metal match container w aspirins, tums and HBP pills
    Wallet,:
    Cash. Credit cards, ID, phone card, med card, w/blood type and allergies, band-aids, parabolic lens, spare truck key.

Sadly we do not have a CCW.....
    That's just on my person.

Then there is jackets, and of course vehicles.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Is this to survive in a FEMA camp, in your house, or by yourself in a dysfunctional urban area outside of your house?

Banned

LOL I do not even own a cell phone.... a complaint my daughter has against me.......hell my home phone is still a walled princess phone....why, because they did not have a prince phone at the time.

I keep a .22lr pistol and ammo, flare launcher and flares, fire starting materials, water pure materials, tube tent, various cordage and wire, fishing kit, camp cup, soda can stove and small fuel flask, fatwood, all band radio, lens compass, 2 rain poncho, 2 space blankets and space bivey, added a airline blanket, an SRK knife, leatherman with a tool kit, small folding hack saw, sharpening stone, first aid kit, 3 zip lock quart baggies, 3 Mrs Knorrs dry soups, instant coffee, creamer, sugar, small untensil eating kit, $10 roll of quarters, medical-ID-Passport-military history-life insurance-living will copies on tyvek paper, edible rice paper survival booklet...........

Along with that, I also have a survival knecklace with fire, knife, water pure pills, compass that goes around my neck the second I hit the wilderness or leave the house in an emergency.

It all comes to 14 pounds in a nice multi pocket shoulder bag I got free from Cabelas with a fishing rod.... will get me through urban, suburban and wilderness. If I am sep from it and I only have one item with me, it is my Cold Steel SRK knife.....

I have used this kit many times in the wilderness so I know it works....and have it set up in order of priority.... fire, water, shelter, protection, food and signaling ....but can get to any of it in what ever order I need at the time.

I have just recently added a pet/dog survival kit as well.....in a med belt bag.......

It may not work for you, but works real well for me.....and that is what counts

The kit could be used if you get stuck in an elevator or staircase, someone injures themselves, building on fire, or God forbid some sort of disaster. I plan to have a few powerbars or peanutbutter and crackers, some extra water, my headlamp, FAK, my multi-tool, a space blanket or two, some cordage, and maybe a few other things.

Also, you never know when you may need something and your kit could have it. I have pulled the extra poncho that is in my kit and gave it to another person that needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by OhioGrizzLapp View Post
    LOL I do not even own a cell phone.... a complaint my daughter has against me.......hell my home phone is still a walled princess phone....why, because they did not have a prince phone at the time.

I keep a .22lr pistol and ammo, flare launcher and flares, fire starting materials, water pure materials, tube tent, various cordage and wire, fishing kit, camp cup, soda can stove and small fuel flask, fatwood, all band radio, lens compass, 2 rain poncho, 2 space blankets and space bivey, added a airline blanket, an SRK knife, leatherman with a tool kit, small folding hack saw, sharpening stone, first aid kit, 3 zip lock quart baggies, 3 Mrs Knorrs dry soups, instant coffee, creamer, sugar, small untensil eating kit, $10 roll of quarters, medical-ID-Passport-military history-life insurance-living will copies on tyvek paper, edible rice paper survival booklet...........

Along with that, I also have a survival knecklace with fire, knife, water pure pills, compass that goes around my neck the second I hit the wilderness or leave the house in an emergency.

It all comes to 14 pounds in a nice multi pocket shoulder bag I got free from Cabelas with a fishing rod.... will get me through urban, suburban and wilderness. If I am sep from it and I only have one item with me, it is my Cold Steel SRK knife.....

I have used this kit many times in the wilderness so I know it works....and have it set up in order of priority.... fire, water, shelter, protection, food and signaling ....but can get to any of it in what ever order I need at the time.

I have just recently added a pet/dog survival kit as well.....in a med belt bag.......

It may not work for you, but works real well for me.....and that is what counts
    That's just it, you have to have what works for you and your area; it will be different from person to person. I was just wanting some ideas from others on what they carry.

Banned

You have to watch what foods you put in your kit... some can go really bad real quick, especially in the trunk of a car.... well unless it is a twinkie that stays good during disasters even..... watch out for rick and your twinkies.......

Oh I forgot, I have 4 mainstay water pouches in the kit and 6 of them in the dogs kit.

When I take the pups out usually one of them carries 2L of water and some food. That usually has them covered. I usually have about 1-2L myself and the wife usually carries a bottle of water. I usually do my food like my water and rotate it out when needed.

An important thing I'd add is some type of a smoke mask & goggles. I bought this recently and keep it at work. (35th fl.)
    http://www.smokemask.org/Products/Sm...k%20XSMKT.html
    Also rubber surgical gloves & map of the city you're in. You said you have a head lamp which is great. Everything else has been mentioned more or less.
    Since I live in the city, I have stuff at home, at the office and EDC.

The big question is what items do you need in urban survival that you don't in wilderness survival and go from there. The first thing that comes to my mind is a prybar.
    I know what hunts you.

What would you use it for?