Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hogs Gone Wild

Yes that piggy is in the freezer with 2 others I got on another hunt. (Shot those 2 with a shot gun after my partner hit his with a bow. #4 Buckshot out of a Jellyhead Choke)

Hunter63 no trapping here. We were accually setting up feeders in other pastures and went to go check this are for sign. Well as you can see there were great signs of pig!!! Bad thing is this pasture is now about 80% rooted up from the hogs... It took them about 4 days to do the damage I couldnt believe how fast they tore that pasture up....

Quote Originally Posted by Stryker1 View Post
    Yes that piggy is in the freezer with 2 others I got on another hunt. (Shot those 2 with a shot gun after my partner hit his with a bow. #4 Buckshot out of a Jellyhead Choke)
    Outstanding. You guys really are doing your part.

I normally get them around water holes in early morning, or asleep in the middle of the day, when it's hottest. If you are really quite you can stand in the middle of the herd when they are asleep.
    THERE AIN'T NO EDGE OF THE PRESERVE

Quote Originally Posted by gordy View Post
    Outstanding. You guys really are doing your part.

I normally get them around water holes in early morning, or asleep in the middle of the day, when it's hottest. If you are really quite you can stand in the middle of the herd when they are asleep.
    ^^ No I cant!! LOL you can stand in the middle by yourself!! LOL LOL We do have a few BIG BRUSIERS on the property. I wish there was a water hole for these guys out here... There Water Hole is the Rio Grande... Thye go back and forth to mexico and with no passport LOL... It helps the Rancher, Helps the Cows, and fills my freezer for my family. Makes great Gravy for Biscuits too!!

wow that's a big one... bet it tasted good.

One of the control methods adopted by the Alabama Wildlife Department is to neuter the males. I definitely want to be on hand when they try to neuter a 500 lb Boar Hawg. I'm gonna contact them-should be entertaining.

Arighty then, I'm brand spanking knew here i but figured it wouldn't take long to have the topic of wild pigs come up. And no I'm not talking about The Razorbacks, our state sports mascot. We have a hog problem here in Arkansas. Our Game in Fish has taken a position of as many as you want when you want, within reason to night hunting during deer season and the like.A nearby property owner by our deer camp was a contractor and decided he would treat his insurance adjustors to some "Wild Hog" hunts. So he puts up a 3 strand bob-wire fence and turned out a couple loads of previously trapped feral hogs. Needless to say we didn't see a deer turkey or squirrel for the next two years till we addressed the pigs. We went from deer hunting to pig hunting to pig trapping and killing. 4 long years of effort by us and every neighbor we now have our game back. The only way we could help was trapping, the residents there did better by being there year round and being able to bait in pastures within range of their backdoors. Last rumor I heard was 150 killed with a start of 20 or so. I don't know this it's heresay but the math works out from what I've read. The point I'm trying to make here is that if you see ANY hog sign on your wild areas get a handle on it NOW! These beasts will decimate everything in site and it is heart wrenching to lose multiple hunting seasons. And as far as table fare it is at the top of the list, its way way better than any store bought pork. I have another friend who doesn't hunt but has started trapping his wild hogs and gives them to all his rural neighbors in the surrounding hollers. I'd be willing to help anyone out there who wants help with a pig invasion let me know I'll help where I can or will find someone who can. It's kind of amazing that man can eliminate every other species on earth and we can't control the populations of these beasts.
    Last edited by wtrfwlr; 07-15-2011 at 09:57 PM.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of person my dog thinks I'am.

I've become convinced that they are like rats. We'll never get a handle on them and they will continue to increase their range year after year. If we could at least get them interested in eating Africanized bees and fire ants we'd have a couple of problems solved.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I've heard there is some people that hunt them in the hoosier national forest and all they use is spears and daggers. I've never seen any where I live though, but I have seen them in the hoosier national forest.
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Never had much chance to eat rat meat but you may be right. I like your idea about the bees and ants, mine is a little different. I'm wanting to get a huge grant for many many years to see if us southern folk can teach them to flourish on skeeters, ticks,and chiggers. If you would like to get in on this let's get together and I can throw in the thing about the bees and ants, maybe worth a couple hundred million more a year for our research. What do ya think??

They are a better man than I am, Gunga Din. I'm not certain those are wild hogs but rather feral hogs. I've actually been reading quite a bit on this and I've read a couple of different schools of thought as to whether the Indiana hogs are wild or feral. After the DNR released the picture of the cougar down there whether they are wild or feral won't matter to the cat.

I happened to walk up on a dead feral hog in Illinois probably 30 years ago. Maybe more. It was a massive bore that had been shot a few days before. The only spear or dagger I'd use would be to trip up anyone faster than me so the hog wouldn't get me. Hopefully that and the awful smell the hog would have to be running through would keep me safe until I could get home and change my drawers.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Whats the difference between wild and feral? Wild = native, feral = escaped or released? I've read or seen somewhere that if you release domestic hogs into the wild after a few generation they will revert back their undomesticated look, like Pumba. A wema way a wema a way, in the jungle the mighty...........
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Free pork. I still don't understand the problem. I like pork better than venison anyway.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Pork, its whats for dinner.... supper and breakfast
    BACON!!!!
    Thomas Paine

Yeah sparky read about those guys a while back and they are out of control when it come to they're hunting challenges, it seems to be a family of guys that just kept raising the challenge on one another every till they ended up building they're own spears and taking large game with them. Bet the game wardens would freak out over that in the woods, I know I would, or maybe I would just keep walking and never tell anybody what I thought I saw.

A while back in field and stream they had a thing that was a challenge to complete in every state. Hawaii's was to take a boar with a 5" dagger
    Thomas Paine

Spear hunting pigs like your great great great great great granpappy.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Think your right on the reversion Sparky what I saw on discovery[I think] 1 generation is all it takes to get back the hair and long snouts with tusks. I have to agree Winter have you been blessed with some wild pig?

Feral hogs are domesticated or farm hogs that have escaped and are living in the wild. They will resort to some of their wild cousin's ways like a hairy body and tusks but otherwise are a domesticated hog. Wild hogs have either never been domesticated or they are a cross between wild and feral hogs. Some truly wild hogs have been in the U.S. for a long time after having been released in the late 1800s. They were release in the New Hampshire area if I remember correctly.

It used to be pretty common practice to let piggies roam free. They would eat just about anything and all you had to do was go find them when you wanted some pork. Today, of course, domesticated hogs are raised in special barns that not only control temperature and humidity but also the amount of contaminants that can enter the hog area. Special hazard suits are even worn in some barns to prevent bring viruses and bacteria into the hog area and that's to reduce losses. Of course the roaming practice meant that some hogs stayed free and became "wild" or even mated with true wild hogs.

All of that to say some folks believe the hogs in Indiana may be wild hogs that have increased their range while others believe they are just hogs that have escaped some farm and are living like hippies in sort of a pig commune in the woods. (no offense to any hippies on the forum)

If you've ever seen the movie loansome dove, you'll know that guss' pigs were the first pigs to travel all the way from the texas border to Montana. lol
    Thomas Paine

Yep, down here the practice in the old days was free range, then the end of harvest they got together and rounded them up each guy had his own ear clip or brand if you will and thats how they sorted them out. There is still a law here that states if you catch an unclaimed free range hog you must take it to the town square for 24hrs if it is not claimed you then have possesion of said pig.