Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hogs Gone Wild

Banned

Default Hogs Gone Wild

here I was checking out TV shows and bam, "Hogs Gone Wild" on tonight.... here I was expecting to see the antics of a Harley Owners Group (HOG) cutting up some new place or town........... It is about wild pigs and amazing.... I never knew the pig explosion was that bad.

http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/hogs-gone-wild-videos/

I saw the show "Pig Bomb" last night. It's a world-wide epidemic, apparently.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Two litters a year and up to 9 piglets each litter. Several trapping groups have turned up here in the last few years, and I think they are making some headway. We never did find any herds while hog hunting this year. That suits me just fine, as I don't like the taste all that much, and of course, I don't kill (much of) anything that I don't intend to eat, with the exception of dillo's and blackbirds that try to get my seeds out of the garden.
    Wild hogs have become a real problem, and it's up to hunters and trappers to get them back under control.

Quote Originally Posted by OhioGrizzLapp View Post
    here I was checking out TV shows and bam, "Hogs Gone Wild" on tonight.... here I was expecting to see the antics of a Harley Owners Group (HOG) cutting up some new place or town........... It is about wild pigs and amazing.... I never knew the pig explosion was that bad.

http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/hogs-gone-wild-videos/
    I watched a couple of the shows, and my thoughts when I saw the title wasn't necessarily bikers.....

Yes they are more of a problem and spreading.
    While in La this winter, rode along with my SIL to a farmers friends cattle pasture.

Hogs had been tearing up cattle feed stations, farmer had traps out, called that he had one in a trap.

Went over there and sure enough a 250+/- sow was in the trap.
    SIL shot it in the head, loading it up and hauled it to a friends place, for cleaning and butchering.
    Was the 3 or 4th one this winter.

Most around there are escaped(let go?) domestic pigs, that don't take long to go feral.

Will be hearing more and more about this in the future, I expect, as the spread down in that part of La. just started, a year or so ago.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Banned

wow, check this out...Hog hunting supported by farmers to get rid of the ferrel hogs....FROM the AIR out of Choppers.... You EBR folks will love that most of them are using EBR's to get the pigs....

http://www.texashuntfish.com/app/vid...ation-in-Texas

Quote Originally Posted by OhioGrizzLapp View Post
    wow, check this out...Hog hunting supported by farmers to get rid of the ferrel hogs....FROM the AIR out of Choppers.... You EBR folks will love that most of them are using EBR's to get the pigs....

http://www.texashuntfish.com/app/vid...ation-in-Texas
    Careful, Treading on the edge........

I posted this vid in 2009 and after a few "yeah thats nice" comments, got a large general displeasure on the method.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...+gonna+needing

Actually if you saw the damage they do and where they are.......some minds might be changed.
    I still agree with that method, but would want to add Dillon M134 Mini gun....Yeah, I know, lots more ammo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlTQ5uA9Iy8

Those boys can shoot, IMHO

Banned

Oh they truly are pests and cause about 1.7 billion in damage I have been reading. No different than moles, rabbits, deer or other animals that damage crops and property. The method does not bother me at all, there are 9 MILLION pigs in the Tex, AR, OK, NV and other areas..... there really is no way to keep up with the pig explosion from what I am reading. Ohios pigs have not exploded like the SW, but other states have been getting signs they are on the verge.

Ahhhh I did not see to if this was all discussed before.... SORRY.... it was just so amazing to me.

I wonder if we could introduce a feral hog population in Iran?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I don't see a problem. I do however see food.

Simply open up the hunting on the piggies.

How hard is this?
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Banned

LOLOLOL I bout spit my coffee......I always ask my local arab mart when they will be adding Spiral Sliced Hams to their deli case of all beef products LOLOL

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    I don't see a problem. I do however see food.

Simply open up the hunting on the piggies.

How hard is this?
    It is open, and about the only restrictions in La. seems to be that you can only use a .22 rim fire after dark. (?)

But rather than native animal species doing damage, these are more like 200 to 500lb rats, and multiply as such.

Reminds me of the PETA rich ladies that were against removing wild geese form their mansion grounds.....till their pools, and yards were covered with goose dodo and started attacking the residents.
    They didn't care after that, how the disappeared.

The pig I saw caught in a trap, was butchered and frozen as most all that are trapped, so they are food, no doubt.

OGL, My thread was from 2009, and helo hunting wasn't mentioned till later in the thread, so wouldn't even have shown up an a search.

So what do y'all think of the Dillon M134?

PS Dw still is kinda bulking at a helo for Hog season, go figure.

Wilderness Wanderer

Even up here, a nearby community is having problems with wild pigs that escaped or were let go about four years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by savage View Post
    Even up here, a nearby community is having problems with wild pigs that escaped or were let go about four years ago.
    These are the kind of problems you want. I find it amazing that a great deal of people let pigs root up their back yards and properties, then throw their arms up and say, ' I just don't know what to do '.

I just say 'Why don't you go down to your local sports store, I'm sure they've got products in there that can help you'.

Second, grab a couple of stag hounds and a boar spear.

Third, buy a chest freezer and a mincer sausage maker.

Four, up grade your BBQ, and invest in a spit roaster.

Fifth, brush up on some pork recipes.

If life throws hogs at you, make hogmonade. Or at least a lifestyle out of it.

Remember some people in the world do not know where their next hog is coming from.

I don't see it as pig problem, but rather a serious hunting deficiency.
    Last edited by gordy; 04-13-2011 at 11:16 AM.
    THERE AIN'T NO EDGE OF THE PRESERVE

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Just me doing my part!!!

Mmmm, pork..
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Stryker, I'm sorry but that is just wrong. I don't normally go off on a tangent but seeing that picture I just can't help myself. I would have thought you of all people would have known better. A styrofoam cooler? You drive down the road, the top blows off then there goes the ice and the next thing you know you have hot beer. THAT'S JUST PLAIN WRONG! Nice hog, by the way.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Gee, I thought this thread was going to be about "Feeding-time" at Walmart.

I agree Rick. Yet we did put the cooler in the truck while on the road!!! LOL Jk I dont drink while I hunt. I have a rule no drinking with guns lol

Quote Originally Posted by Stryker1 View Post
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Just me doing my part!!!
    A medal needs to be slapped on that noble chest of yours young man. Nice hog.

Did you eat that hog?
    Last edited by gordy; 04-15-2011 at 01:41 PM.
    THERE AIN'T NO EDGE OF THE PRESERVE

Nice hog,......Congrtas.....and I bet you didn't shoot it in a trap either, right?........Giving you a bad time, 'cause that the waymy SIL "hunts" them.